Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pilea "Moon Valley" pale/bleached leaves

Posted by wolfpup64 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:28

I have this Pilea "Moon Valley" plant - It was a brilliant green when I first got it. Now only the new growth is green, all other leaves have taken on a pink/white coloration. While I think it's kinda neat looking, I wonder what is causing this..

I know Pilea likes bright indirect light, and humidity. I've read that too much sun can burn the leaves, but the legginess leaves me wondering..Is the loss of coloration due to too much or too little light? Not enough humidity? Chlorosis? Do I need to fertilize?

The colors changed while being kept by an East facing window, so now I've moved it to a South facing room away from the window. What is really the best place for it?

This post was edited by wolfpup64 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pilea "Moon Valley" pale/bleached leaves

Hi Wolf, welcome to Gardenweb! Is the soil usually moist or soggy? Might be more of a root issue than a sun issue. I'm sure someone more familiar with this Pilea's light preference will come by soon.

o

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Overwatering may be a possibility. I once nearly lost it, but I took some cuttings and regrew it to what you see in the photo. But I have gone a lot easier on the watering since then. Still wondering about nutrients and light though, I don't often fertilize my houseplants.. so just in case I have given it a little diluted fertilizer today.

o

Wish I knew more to tell you. I had a purple waffle Pilea for years that would be happy outside in hours of direct sun while warm enough to be outside, made tiny white flowers. My instinct is that this plant needs more light, less water... Winter rays are much less strong than summer rays, might need shade during summer but is starved for light during the shorter, weaker days. A lot of house plants can be like that, at least from what I've seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here