Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuckamore

Name that houseplant!

Tuckamore
11 years ago

Well I have close to 50 houseplants and with the exception of a couple I know what they are.

Problem is I receive some as gifts and I buy some from a clearance table whenever I see something interesting. Some can't be revived but most do come around with some proper care. Thing about clearance plants is they aren't always la belled...so thats where you guys come in!

Plant # 1

Comments (15)

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant # 2

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant #3

Ive id'ed this before but was unable to get the exact variety

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

#3 - Ceropegia - sooo pretty!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Maybe one one of the Polysicas..Ming Aralia

I'm wanting to say that it might be a Clivia of some sort.

Ceropegia woodii....Rosary Vine, String of Hearts

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think those are the ones!

Thanks guys!

Now I need to figure out what to do to make my Ming Aralia perk up a bit

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Yup, I was going to offer exactly the IDs Rhizo is suggesting. Nice plants, they look happy & healthy; enjoy.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

That first one looks similar to Acer japonicum or Japanese maple

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Now that I have a positive ID I know what my Ming Aralia needs, it needs a hair cut lol. So once (if...) spring sets in I plan to clip the top to stimulate some new growth and thicken this guy up a bit.

Tuck

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Rhizo is right. :)

That Ming aralia needs more light. I grew this with some direct sun when I lived in Phoenix AZ so it can take a lot. It is stretching for light.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It sits in front of a very large south facing window but still lost its limbs over the winter so i recently moved it to a slightly less bright location.

If summer ever gets here it will become happy again :)

Tuck

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

aralias need very hi humidity and consistent warm temps - 70s' in low range - 80 to 85F is where is should be. it should not be in direct sun light, not even in summer. it loves diffused or dappled sunlight however. and if it dries out - it drops the leaves. if it's too wet - it drops the leaves. if it's drafty - it drops the leaves...

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"and if it dries out - it drops the leaves. if it's too wet - it drops the leaves. if it's drafty - it drops the leaves..."

lol I've noticed

The south window has lots of light but it comes through the trees so so it ideal for a lot of plants. Three new branches appeared over the past week, so its looking better.

Tuck

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Plant #2 looks like it might be a clivia. Has it flowered yet?

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marric,

It has never flowered but it has more than doubled the number of leaves it has since I received it a year ago. When I got it, it was in a very tiny pot with roots coming over the top and out the bottom. Now that I have a better idea what it is i'll be able to give it the care it needs in order to produce flowers.

Nice to see another Canadian here as well!

Tuck

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Tuck, from the looks of your plant, it should be close to flowering! I've read that they need 12-14 leaves to flower. I'm still learning. Over on the clivia forum, Ohiofem has posted links to some good info about clivias. Marg