Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower anyone?....................

Posted by elkay 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 21:15

Anyone keep plants in their shower? In colder weather I run out of room for my plants inside, so I have to put some in the shower. Of course it's a pain when you have to USE the shower, but I just have to take them out and put 'em back in.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower anyone?....................

I use my shower as an isolation area for stuff that gets mealies since it's reasonably well lit but not really near anything otherwise.

o

Don't have a picture, but our master bath is on north side of the house, with clerestory windows, and one stained glass window facing west. During the winter, I hung my staghorn ferns from the ceiling since they like indirect light and high humidity. Today I moved everything out to the Teahouse to see how everybody likes their new homes. Except for the ficus and an orchid.

Love the way your shower looks with all that lush green stuff. I remember seeing a shower designed with teak boards on the bottom, and the exterior wall was a pair of insulated sliding glass doors, opening onto a walled outside patio with a great chaise lounge there. Now THAT would be a paradise dream come true.

Oh yeah, I have an outdoor shower, and I have a chain up high over it. When I take plants outside to water them, I use the handheld shower wand and then hang the pots from the chain in the shade. But this is completely outdoors.

o

No I could not do that every night. If I had to do that I would never shower. LOL. In the winter I do put my plants in the tub and give them a shower once a month.

o

Every so often, I'll place large plants in the shower..the problem is, no one other than myself moves plants towards the back or outside of the tub, so the soil ends up drenched or the tub ends up muddy.
The pipes are a zillion years old, so I do worry about soil sweeping down the drain.

However, I shower plants then place back in their permanent spot the same day..

Elkay, your bathroom looks so very nice. So, you haul each plant out of the tub when you shower? Your plants are doing great..Toni

o

Elkay!@!

I just LOVE it..Taking a shower with your plants must feel like your standing in a rain shower in the middle of the rain forest, let alone your plants must THRIVE in that moist lit area!
I'll bet you keep a Stag horn in there too, right? What a great idea! I'll bet they are so bug free from using that handheld shower that you must love it too.
You must say that they are the cleanest plants you have!
You know you love your plants when one is willing to sacrifice room in the shower for sure.

Hi Toni and others!

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here