Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

Notable Plants

teengardener1888
10 years ago

I have a rather small but healthy plant collection but here are 2 that are notable for their looks and health.

Comments (17)

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#1 is a Hoya carnosa (Hindu rope) baby
    # 2 is a Chlorophytum comosum and Golden pothos
    Most of my plants are with my friends but these were 2 notable ones i have home

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Those are cute and very healthy looking...

A word of advice on the Hindu Rope for you:-)

Keep a constant vigilance on mealy bug..That is one plant that can hide them for sure...Don't let them catch you off guard for fear they would spread to other plants..

Mike

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This Philodendron hederaceum is very insignificant now but I have lots of hope for its health, it was started from a cutting i saw in a lawn bag in october. I snaged it and planted it and it is starting to push some new growth out finally. I believe it can become a very pretty specimen with some good tender care. Oh, in responce to the hindu rope, I have had it for 7 months with no mealy bugs, I believe it will have a nice long healthy life, and maybe even flower for me!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I'd be careful of that pot size in this last pic, which looks rather large for that plant & risky.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    I believe what Mike meant was to keep a constant eye on your 'Hindu rope' Hoya as they are more prone to mealy bug (their leaves have so many nooks and crannies to hide).

It looks happy and healthy and hopefully it will have a long life with you, just be sure to inspect it thoroughly say every once a week or so, that way if it develops mealy bug, you will catch it early.

Planto

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Planto, thank you..That's exactly what I mean..I know too many that have ended up throwing this plant away after a mealy infestation caught too late and hard to get rid of..

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Planto, thank you..That's exactly what I mean..I know too many that have ended up throwing this plant away after a mealy infestation caught too late and hard to get rid of..

Mike

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.Meyer, I was just saying so far so good. Im always checking my plants for bugs and grooming them. I will keep a eye out.

.Pirate, I know, but it was the only pot i had on standby in potting time. I water it only when kinda dry, to prevent rot. With time the roots and leaves will fill the container. When the vines grow long I will take cuttings and stick them in the same container to make it look fuller.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Sure thing. :)

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I must nominate Kalanchoe x houghtonii. Its' common name should be "But wait - there's more!" This plant is always doing something different and I haven't even had it a whole year. And it started as a cutting I snipped from a parking-lot-crack plant. It's been made into cuttings at least 10 times, went through a phase of making baby plants on the leaf edges, I've grown baby plants from removed leaves, been in direct sun all day, then in barely any in the house...

Anyway, as if the fact that it's had cheery blooms on 'wow-tall' stalks for about 3 months isn't enough, the bloom stalks are making baby plants and aerial roots.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like a really cool plant, way more than my common plants I own.....

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I know rite! Apparently cursed as an invasive weed where hardy (and why there was some growing in a crack in a parking lot for me, I would never mangle anyone's landscaping or potted plants.)

And hey, common plants are so because they're the best ones, that everyone wants! Only with plants are the newest collectors able to start with the cream of the crop, as you have probably noticed after collecting for a few years. After a long while you'll see there are trends, too. Grape Ivy (Cissus) was everywhere 25 years ago, haven't seen one for sale for a long time. Back then, Syngoniums were a common hanging plant. Now they're always tiny things, upright baby rosettes. Those 'unusual' ones that are so hard to get, usually expensive, are the ones that die anyway.

If you want succulent plants like this, trading/for postage is the way to go, as I know you know. Cuttings need to callous anyway, and travel so well in a box. But it's wrong of me to be enabling someone complaining about space issues. Yeah, nobody does that, sorry.

The best plants are the ones you have now that are doing well, or that are recovering well, or look like they have potential to go back to doing well when the weather changes, or look like they could improve to one of these conditions... LOL!

I wonder about the Hoya. If it's hard to inspect, maybe having just a couple really long 'strings' would be best. Fuller is usually a goal for plants, but if it makes the plant harder to inspect, there might be a good reason to do otherwise.

And forgot to say above, about the heart-leaf Philo cutting. It can definitely become a giant plant. Are there new leaves coming from 3 diff places?

• auron22
    10 years ago

I really like that philo, and the hoya is cute :)

I'm very new to philo's, and just recently got some philo cuttings going, one started new growth and the other probably doesn't have roots still.

I find a lot of joy in the early stages of a plants life, everything it does is exciting....to me anyway.

I was disdainful of common houseplants for a bit, but came around. Plenty of good reasons common houseplants are common. I think one of my favorites is my hoya carnosa, low maintenance and pretty.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

look at what i snaged for a dollar each

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

leaf cutting from plants, they needed to be trimmed and im sending them to someone

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starting a few sweet potato cuttings for the garden this one is not very healthy but they can be vigorous and might come back. Even though I have been propagatively selective, I soon will start propagating again rapidly for summer

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Cool violets. Seems some of them can become a Palm or maybe the Palm wants to be a violet ?