Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer salt build up

Posted by ramsay22 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 21:59

I understand that plant fertilizers and tap water eventually cause excessive salt build up in potted plants. Is salt build up lessened or prevented by using liquid organic fertilizers, or is it the same problem whether the fertilizer is organic or synthetic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer salt build up

It's the same.

Leach as needed. When I lived in SoCal, had to leach house plants every 6 months.

o
RE: Fertilizer salt build up

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:19

It's the same. Your plants will thank you by showing better vitality if you use a soil that allows you to flush the soil every time you water. The benefits extend beyond just keeping the level of dissolved solids in check, too. Sols that allow you to water to beyond saturation w/o having to worry about root rot or impaired root function due to the extended soggy soil conditions will be better aerated than heavier (more water retentive) soils and will hold little or no perched water, which is the primary offender. Also, when you flush the soil regularly, it's like hitting the fertilizer 'reset' button. If you're using a fertilizer that doesn't provide nutrients in the ratio at which plants use them, nutrient ratios very quickly become skewed, which leads to a number of problems caused by toxic levels of one or more nutrients causing antagonistic deficiencies of one or more other nutrients. Soil choice, watering habits, and nutrition are very closely linked. Once you use a soil that makes watering and fertilizing a breeze, it's very unlikely you'd ever want to return to soils you have to struggle with in order to keep plants healthy. Once I made the turn, I never once thought of looking back.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here