Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homolomena

Posted by Joe1980 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 22:06

Anybody have success with a heart leaf homolomena?? I've tried this plant 2 times in the past, with no luck. Both times, it looked good for about 2 weeks, then a leaf would yellow, then another, then another. Pretty soon, I had no leaves left, because they yellowed out faster then new ones grew in. Mind you, I have never had much difficulty with any plants, but this one stumps me, and I'd love to figure it out, because I think they are one of the best looking plants out there.

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homolomena

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 16:53

If you are sure your watering is under control and it's not a soluble salts issue, I would look next to root congestion or temperature. It likes it WARM - no cold drafts, and root congestion will cause any plant to shed lower/interior foliage & make a poodle (growth at stem/branch tips only) out of your favorite plants.

Al

o
RE: Homolomena

I would have to imagine it's a temperature issue then, because the second one I tried I didn't even have to water before it started it's decline. In summer, with the air on, I run about 72 degrees when home, and 78 while at work. In winter, with the heat on, 67 degrees when home, 62 while at work. I almost NEVER allow the temperature to get much more then 78 to 80 when the A/C is off, because I hate heat. Sometimes I wonder if 62 is too cold in winter though, but mind you, I never had a homalomena in winter, so it would have been the summer temperature scale. I always figured they got stressed by going from a humid greenhouse, to my not-so-humid house.

A side note too; my sister called me up a while back, describing her new plant.....a homalomena, and I told her how it would turn out. Her's faded away exactly like I told her, the same as mine did. I have read up on them, and half say they are easy, half say they are picky. My houseplants book claims they aren't picky about humidity, but I suspect they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here