Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_lover_ut

Problem with ZZ plant.

Plant_Lover_UT
10 years ago

Hi, All

I am a newbie here, and I have a problem with my zz plants. The root was rotten due to water them too much. I took it out the pot, cleaned it, cut the rotton part out, dried for two days, put it back in the pot, and water it throughly. However, How come some of the zz plants look like light yellow looking.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• weedlady
    10 years ago

What are you using as potting medium? It looks like maybe it is something that would not drain well. Maybe needs a good measure of perlite added...

I found this info regarding ZZ plants, which made me smile after reading your post. (My daughter's roommate once killed an aloe by overwatering -- the only thing I knew of at the time [aside from scale] that could kill a healthy aloe!)

It says at the article linked below, " I've often read that after a nuclear holocaust the only thing to survive would be roaches. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the ZZ plant can withstand such an event and be one of two things to survive. I don't think it is possible to kill a ZZ plant but if you kill a ZZ plant maybe you should take up computers or crocheting as a hobby and leave houseplants alone."

It goes on to say, "A ZZ plant prefers to be on the dry side and too much water will result in leaves turning yellow and falling off. ZZ plants develop thick underground tubers that the plant uses to store water this allows the plant to go for long periods of time without water. It may even drop all of the leaves to conserve water usage if you don't water it and as long as the tubers are firm your plant should still send out new growth when regularly watered. Too much water and you'll not only have leaves turning yellow but the tuber will begin to rot."

Here is a link that might be useful: ZZ Plant info

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

PLS. do a search here on ZZ plants, there's a fair amount to read on them.

That mix looks far too peaty (retains water too long) & the pot rather large for these plants. The combination of the 2 will likely continue to cause yellowing problems of underwatering.

Maybe he's joking, but personally, I wouldn't be taking gardening advice from someone using the handle 'Mr.BrownThumb".

Also, I think the plants are potted a bit too deep, too much of their stem is buried, likely to induce further rot.

• Plant_Lover_UT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your reply. Pirate_girl was right. I dug up the soil and discovered that the soil is too wet. I also potted too deep. Thus, some of them are rotted.

However, there are some I think is still alive, please see picture. I also notice there is yellow color on the tips of some of the leafs.

Please advice. What soil do I need for the ZZ plant? There are too many kinds at the store. Do I need to wait a few days before I pot it again since the root is too wet now.

Thanks a lot. Please pardon for my English--second language.

Thanks,

Jimmy

• Plant_Lover_UT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think this still alive, please see the picture. but the tip of some leafs are turning yellow. Please see my previous posts.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Buy a bag of perlite and a smaller pot. Your pot should be about 2-3 inches bigger than the plant's root ball. Mix the perlite into your current soil at a 50/50 ratio, or maybe even a 60% perlite/40% soil ratio. Once you repot it, don't water for 5-7 days.

Good luck!