Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross Posting here - philo ID

Posted by greybird_keke (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 22:20

I posted this on Aroids, but thought it might be seen by more people here - I was given this cutting by a friend who knew it only as "reindeer plant". The leaves are small, only 3" or so. Hoping to find it's name....
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross Posting here - philo ID

Hi,

It was wise of you to post here. The Aroids forum is pretty much dead. I don't know the plant unfortunately. Someone will know though.

Good luck,

Larry

o

I believe that it's one of the Philodendron bipennifolium cultivars.

o

Philodendron squamiferum

o

Bingo! What a great looking plant.

o

Yeah, that was about a year ago. Now the vines have grown 3-5 feet long and go all over the place because I never gave it something to climb, its a mess

o

Also looks like P. panduriforme....

o

Dellis - I think your plant might be like one I had some years ago, which is different than the one I have now....does your plant have rather large (Maybe 6" or so) leaves, and sturdy "hairy" red stems? I had one like that which grew fast and pretty much took over....I ended up giving it away (wish I had kept a cutting!) But the one pictured is much more "dainty" having smaller stems, with leaves staying only about 3". Leaf shape is very similar, though.

o

This is an attempt to show the size of the leaf and the smoothness of the stem...BTW, I appreciate everyone's input and enjoy looking up the suggested species. I learn something every time about their differences and similarities.

o

Some of the leaves on my plant are over 8" long. I dont think you can use leaf size as a reliable gauge with philodendron species. The hairs on the petioles are called pubescens, if your plant doesn't have them then it is not P. squamiferum. Other possibilities would be P. bipennifolium and P. pedatum. Try a google image search.

o

After looking at the different images, I think it must be P. pedatum. The pictures I saw were a really good match, even though it has several leaf forms and even several names! Thank you everyone for your help.

o

All philodendrons have several leaf forms and often a collection of obsolete names

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here