Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcp3x

Help me save my plant!

mcp3x
12 years ago

I do not really have plants, I just have one little vine plant. (My fiance said he believed it was philodendron or similar vine plant) I have had it since winter of 2008 and it did really well until about half a year ago during a move in which it got mostly eaten by cats and placed in a spot without much sun or water for a very long time.

I started regularly watering it and giving it plenty of sun maybe three weeks ago; now there is nothing left but one little leaf-less green vine only about 6 or 7 inches in length, and that is rather dry looking. I asked my mom for advice and she helped my take it up from its pot and put the remaining roots and vine into a glass of water with some plant food. Its been hanging out on the south side of my house in a window with sun all day for the last three days or so but there's not much change in its appearance from what I can tell. The only thing I have noticed is that now there is some fuzzy white stuff on the roots, like mold, but it appears to be coming from the dirt.

So here are some questions I have:

- Is the white stuff bad?

- Will keeping it in a glass help?

- Should I modify the temperature that I keep in the house or its exposure to sunlight because it is in a glass/dying?

- How often should I change the water?

- What can I do????

Please help me, this plant is very dear to me as it was a gift that my fiance and I bought for eachother during our first christmas together. I really want to save it.

Comments (40)

• gravyboots
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

MCP, do you use any online photo-hosting sites like Photobucket or something similar? If so, post a picture...

If you're lucky, the "white stuff" on the roots are new root hairs, which might mean your stem could pull through.

Roots need oxygen, and cool water has more available oxygen than warm water that might occur in a south-facing window.

You might have better luck trying to root the stem at nodes, which look like little joints or knuckles in the stem. Often Phils will send out little roots at these nodes, if the entire stem is laying in moist soil.

Until we see a picture though, it's tough to decipher what might be going on with your little plant, so I am just talking through my hat here!

GB

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Hi, welcome to GardenWeb!

I started regularly watering it... One drink is enough until it uses that water and the soil is dry again. A plant that has lost all of its' leaves won't be able to use much water.

and giving it plenty of sun maybe three weeks ago... Suddenly putting a plant that has had no light into a sunny window can be quite a shock. (more below.)

now there is nothing left but one little leaf-less green vine only about 6 or 7 inches in length, and that is rather dry looking. I suspect your plant may be a Pothos, if you'd like to google pictures and see what you think.

...put the remaining roots and vine into a glass of water with some plant food. Putting existing roots in water is never recommended. Whether it's Philodendron or Pothos, gravyboots' suggestion of putting just the stem in water would be preferable to this. However, since your plant already has roots, there is no reason to do this. The plant food is bad in this situation. Any plant that is not actively growing will probably be more harmed than helped by any kind of plant food.

Its been hanging out on the south side of my house in a window with sun all day for the last three days or so but there's not much change in its appearance from what I can tell. Three days is like 3 minutes to a plant like this (like 3 days would feel like 3 months to a dog!) But if your plant has no existing leaves to burn, this is probably OK. Knowing where you are would help determine that (the sun gets much stronger as you go south.)

The only thing I have noticed is that now there is some fuzzy white stuff on the roots, like mold, but it appears to be coming from the dirt. Did you put dirt in the cup of water? Sorry if I'm confused on this part.

So here are some questions I have:
    - Is the white stuff bad? Probably.

- Will keeping it in a glass help? Probably not with dirt in the water, but I'm not totally clear on what's going on.

- Should I modify the temperature that I keep in the house or its exposure to sunlight because it is in a glass/dying?
    - How often should I change the water?
    - What can I do???? I would get some fresh potting soil withOUT moisture crystals in it. Normally I wouldn't recommend buying a bag of potting soil, but you only have 1 plant, and Phil/Pothos types of plants are not at all particular about soil, as long as it doesn't stay too wet. After gently rinsing the roots in room-temperature water, put the plant back in the pot with the new soil, but put it a little deeper than it was, so the bottom node is buried. (If there's enough stem to do this, sounds like it's pretty small, so might not be possible.) Then put the pot near the window again but check to make sure the pot doesn't feel hot. Warm is good, hot is bad. If the pot is getting hot, move it back from the window, or to a less-hot window, east is always good.

Could you describe the tip where new leaves are supposed to grow? Does it look...

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tip is brown and dried up, it has been that way for a month while the rest of the vine has remained green.
    Thank you for your suggestions, this is really helping me. I can post a picture later when my camera has charged.
    I further investigated the fuzzy white stuff and found that it was primarily coming off of a portion root/stem that was no longer attached.
    The dirt is just residual dirt from the pot, but it came off of some parts and not of others.
    The pot it was in did not have holes in the bottom ever since about a year ago.

Upon some close investigation, I am beginning to think that a portion of the root/stem off-shoots that I put in the glass is dead, as it is still covered in dirt (unlike the portions that are clearly alive which have come clean) and I cannot actually tell what color it is underneath that. I found little itty-bitty wires that are coming out of this portion, about three or four of these ranging from 1-2 inches in length. I do not believe they were there before, but I cant understand what they might be if that portion is dead.

However, I did find 1 little white knob around the bottom knode, and 2 around the second from bottom and 1 around the third from bottom, all of which are submerged. (These were all buried before as well)

At this state would it be preferrable to put it into soil? I am afraid to do this as it clearly wasn't doing very well in the soil before but maybe it just needs clean soil without any dead vines.

After finding that some of what I thought the root-system was was not attached, reading these posts, and analyzing my plant, I am seriously beggining to wonder if there is no actualy root left, is that possible? If so, would that change my course of action?

Thanks so much!!
    PS. I live in Tennessee.

12 years ago

The white bumps are a great sign, but without a pic it's hard to say which (and might sill be at this point even with a pic) but they're either new roots or a new growth tip forming.

The pot with a hole in the bottom is probably the cause of most of this plant's problems, but if you can get a pic up soon, that would help a lot to determine what to do at this moment.

It's going to need a pot though, soon. If you are unable to put holes in the bottom of the pot it was in, please start considering/looking for a pot you like that has holes in the bottom.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Howdy,

Remove soil while your Philo/Pothos is in water.

Fertilizer in water, for prolonged periods is a no-no.
    Read the fertilizer label.
    Prepared fertilizer should be discarded after an hour or so.

Water should be changed 2-3 times per week.

If/When you repot in soil..choose a container a little larger than rootball. 1-2 sizes bigger.

And please place in less light. Pothos and Philo leaves, 'once they form,' will scorch in direct sun.
    Cuttings should be in bright shade to medium light. Never direct, south sunlight. Mature Philos/Pothos will fade/burn in direct, late spring/summer, direct south sun. Both are low-medium light plants. Bright east window is perfect.

You said the white stuff was from soil. It's probably Perlite.

As long as temps are 60F or higher, no need to change settings.

Good luck. Toni

12 years ago

Oops, earlier I said, "The pot with a hole in the bottom is probably the cause of most of this plant's problems." I meant pot withOUT a hole.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, I'll change the water and get rid of any dirt immediately and I will not put any plant food in when i do.

Will the plant be okay if there are not any roots? It has some how been surviving, I do not know if this means that there were definitely roots, but I cannot identify anything that neccesarily looks like what I would expect roots to.

If there are no roots, will it be preferable to keep it in some water for a while before putting it into soil again?

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Again, we really need pix to see what you're talking about, but I personally wouldn't hold my breath for this to survive, sorry. Don't make plans to move it until you see new leaves.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I've uploaded these photos on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76688139@N04/

please get back to me ASAP on how it looks, When I was out of town for a day, some brown developed along the lower parts and some speckles; I am really worried. It appeared to be doing pretty well before. I am not sure, but I just took these pictures 10 minutes ago, so they do reflect how its looking right now.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also,
    I've been reading about growing from cuttings, and I am wondering if maybe I should try cutting the bottom at an angle and dipping it in rooting hormone?
    Maybe I should try putting some sort of plastic covering over it, to create a sort of green house, or will that only be helpful if it is in soil?

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

MCP, it's most difficult ID'ing w/o leaves. Can you describe them?

Does the lower stem part, feel soft?

Speckles? Do the speckles stick out, like a node?

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am pretty sure that when I purchased it, the label said something like "Angel's Philodendron" or something like that. But I do not know because I have searched that term before and not found anything. So I could be wrong.

The leaves were big and almost heart shaped, kinda longer and thin though.

The bottom part of the stem isnt too hard, firm but not dried out or anything.
    The speckles just look like darker spots along the stem; you can kinda see in the first picture.

12 years ago

Link to your pics.

Looking at the pics, I don't know that anything can be done to save this stem. That one node you mentioned has promise, but overall, it looks unlikely to survive, and looks like the bottom couple of inches could be rotting. I wish I could think of something more upbeat to add...!

Pretty sure it's Pothos, from the wrinkles on the stem and the thickness of the "root buds" along the stem.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not really; it didn't have paterned leaves in anyway; just some lighter spots occaisionally. Does the plant type matter in terms of how to go about trying to save it?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I would trim off the dry parts, top and bottom and plant the remainder in seed and cutting mix with about an inch sticking up out of the soil. Water once thoroughly, allow it to drain, but a plastic bag over the top inflated like a balloon, ie not touching the stem, and secure with a rubber band. Place it in a bright light area but out of direct sun and then leave it alone for at least a week before you even think of watering it again. Then only rewater if the mix is dry. Cross your fingers and find something else to distract you. Preferably don't even look at it. A watched cutting never roots.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, there really isn't any other way to say this, but I think this plant is a goner. There really isn't likely to be a way to revive it. Short version, w/out leaves, it can't really produce food or energy to survive.

Sometimes when trying to save plants, the more one does the worse it makes things. Often the only thing left to do is NOTHING except TIME. If it were mine & I were as determined as you to make it live, I'd leave it in 1/2 in a glass of water in bright (not direct) Light & LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A WEEK OR TWO, that is DO NOTHING else. If it sprouts anything, like a root or leaf (most unlikely at this point), then there's a small chance of surviving.

I hate to see you struggle so to save a dying stem. Cuttings you mentioned reading about, have to do w/ living tissue w/ leaves on them, MUCH different than this.

'Purple' has been far more diplomatic than I might have been, but I really think it's time to let this go. I know you really want this, but pls. get that it is just not happening. While some may say it does no harm to try, I feel it's giving you false hope & maintaining that false hope & that's pointless.

I think a more constructive route would be to go to box stores (since it's likely this is a Philo or a Pothos) or a plant nursery, to try to find a plant which matches your memory of how it looked when well, then buy a new one & start over. I get this plant was special, but really, you're wasting tremendous effort trying to revive a dying stem.

Given all you've described & especially the pix, it's over, pls. let go. You'll feel a lot better (I'd guess) when you find a similar looking one & start over. Why not take the fiance w/ you & make an event of finding a replacement together? Good luck w/ the new one.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

MCP...You asked if plant ID matters in order to save your plant.
    Some people root in soil, others water.

I have better luck rooting Pothos in water, Philodendrons in soil. Philo's in water always rotted.
    I have a couple Philos that's have been in water over 10-yrs..they're in spots w/low light, where no other plant would survive.

That's one reason ID'ing your plant is important. At least in my opinion.

Others root both plants in soil and are successful. Toni

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have posted a new picture of that top node: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76688139@N04/6903213282/in/photostream/
    The picture after it is what it looked like last Friday afternoon.

I think it looks very promising, I simply just want to know what to do to further that progress. The biggest thing I want to know is whether or not to cut off the parts that do not look good.

I feel like it was a Philodendron; if it is, should it put it in soil? I am getting a lot of mixed answers, one person said to put it into soil only after some leaves have grown but I have been hearing a lot of "do put it in soil?"

Also, hopefulauthor, you said "Philo's in water always rotted. I have a couple Philos that's have been in water over 10-yrs..they're in spots w/low light, where no other plant would survive." Did you mean you have had Pothos is water for 10 years?

My plant did only start what looked like rotting when I put it into the water; this does make me think that it may definitely be a Philodendron if that is what you meant. Would it help then to put it into soil?

I feel that your advice, flora_uk, might be good but it does seem like a drastic change. Should I wait to see what happens next or just go ahead with trying to put it in soil?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

MCP

did it look like this plant?

I had this piece in water too, but did not get any roots & the ends of stem were getting "slimy". (There were few more pieces, I only saved 3.) So I just cut rotten part off, and planted it in free draining mix. I did use little rooting hormone on the stem-just because i have some on hand. The bright green leaf is new. It has been planted approx. 5 weeks ago.
    I am not sure what is it, my son brought it from the office.

{{gwi:81391}} {{gwi:81392}}

Rina

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rina, it did look very similar to that in color and texture however it had much wider, rounder leaves.

What exactly is a free draining mix?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

MCP

It looked similar in your photos, that's why I posted. Especially the stem.

I learned a lot about free draining mixes from the post below - it's long, but very informative:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0214580016564.html?94

I could not get all the ingredients (having hard time to find bark), but I did managed to mix smaller amount so far for few plants, using Repti-bark (bedding for reptiles from pet store).
    The pebbles on top are just a topdressing. You don't need them.
    I also started fertilizing with every watering, with weak dose of fertilizer.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    12 years ago

BTW, the soil I call free draining is known on this forum as gritty mix (or 1-1-1) and 5-1-1 (two different mixes, but both very well draining). Rina

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry, but this is not likely to make it, I keep telling you, guess that's not what you want to hear. You keep asking to put it in soil, I'm sorry, I believe you'll be planting a dying stick & that will be the nail in its coffin.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mcp, sorry didn't see your questions.

I should have been more specific or proof-read..lol.

When I tried rooting P. scandens/heart shaped in water, they rotted, however, I've rooted P. Pink Lady and some type of mini-leaf Philodendron that's been in water at least 15-yrs. Just can't root Heart-Shaped Philos in water.

Pothos. They root and will live in water for years and years.
    My kitchen window faces north. Very few plants thrive because of low light. On either sides of this window are small shelves, which is further away from the window, so shadier.
    When I pruned a large Pothos, instead of tossing all the cuttings, I placed in jars w/water, then set on shelves.
    Pothos have been on these shelves over 10-yrs.

Didn't mean to confuse you.

Does your stem still have green?
    If not, you can always scrape off a small section of bark. If it's green there's hope, if woody................Toni

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate_girl, I hear you. However, if I am just going to wait for it to die(your suggestion: "do NOTHING"), I might as well do it in the conditions that it will most likely not die in, does this make sense to you? It can die all it wants, however, since it has not yet, why should I not put it in the best conditions that it could be in?
    I am really not getting what you are trying to say. Please take care to read, I am only trying to figure out what those best conditions are, not incessantly trying to put it in soil; I said, which you will see if you read it again, that I have been hearing a lot of mixed answers about whether or not soil is the way to go and asked what the final verdict is on that.

The only questions I have are:
    1. Does cutting the rot off move it closer to that better condition?
    2. Does the rot indicate that it would be better off in soil in its current state?

• riptidefrog
    12 years ago

Hmmmm,

I've seen these plants recover from some serious abuse and I think this plant might just survive.

Your plant shows signs of growth; that pointy thing underwater at one of the nodes. That growth is what makes me think that it might make it.

I'd leave the cutting as it is for now and watch to see if the pointy thing, lets call it a bud for now until someone corrects it, gets bigger and continues to swell and turn green.

I noticed that the upper portion of your stem is green and the lower portion is white. I must assume at this point that your stem was planted deep in soil and that the white portion was out of the light and therefore didnt develop or lost the chlorophyll that turns plants green. That portion of stem doesnt look rotten and you yourself said that it seems firm. This is a good sign. If it were rotten I'd expect it to be soft, mushy, smelly etc. I'd also leave the upper portion of the stem alone too as it is the only part of the plant at this point that is green and able to create energy for the entire plant. I dont see a reason to remove this part for a very long time and even then I'd do it only to improve appearance. For now its vital to leave it be and recover and grow.

If all goes well then you should get roots eventually. the roots themselves are white and may develop some "fuzz". I forget at the moment whether pothos (btw i do think that this plant is a pothos) have apparent root hairs that show up in water. In any case should you see some fuzzy stuff on the emerging roots then use your better judgement, or post another picture and ask people on here to make sure it isint rot. Root hairs are fine, distinct, uniform growths on a root. They are normal and healthy and not a sign of rot.
    If the water becomes foul and you notice the stem turning brown, disintegrating and furry, stringy, or slimy growths that arent following any roots (when they emerge)then I'd suspect rot.

There are many on here that will tell you that growing the plant in water is not as healthy as soil and that any roots that form are "water roots" and will not function in soil, at least at first. I'm not going to refute those statements at all, after all when Im out in the wilderness I see plants rooted in soil and not rooted in various glasses. However at this point I'd let the situation ride out and see how well things progress. changing a plants environment can be stressful to the plant and this plant looks like it could use some time to collect itself.

As that bud swells and grows it will eventually put out a leaf. The first leaf will be quite small or barely present at all. Future leaves will get larger with each one until it resembles what it had before your plant had problems.

When the bud gets big enough that its going to start making leaves I'd let the level of water drop to just below the bud. (hopefully the roots will have formed below the developing bud) I say this because in my experience leaves that are below water tend to rot.

Once you have a few good sized leaves and the plant is healthy and green again I'd decide whether to keep the plant in water or switch it out to soil. Keep in mind that changing the environment does stress the plant out and delay growth for a bit.

I wonder, did your plant have that bud when you took it out of the dirt or did it develop after putting it in water? Just curious, I would still keep the plant in water at this point.

I hope this made sense, answered your questions, and helped.
    I had a pothos that I once nursed back from the brink of death before and in my opinion it was worse off than yours so i really think this plant can make it.

P.S.
    Please continue to post pics of the progress and update us on this thread. Call me weird but this sort of situation is one of the most interesting that I can think of for houseplants.
    Its like a small drama played out in slow time where every detail is significant and contributes to the whole. And the reward for due diligence and effort is eventually displayed in a vibrantly healthy specimen. And then to think it came from such humble beginnnings!
    So please post pics along the way even if you think it boring or insignificant, there are those of us out here that are waiting for just this sort of story.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

riptidefrog, I think you are definitely right: my plant has made some amazing progress! I was looking again at the those pictures of what it looked like just over a week ago and I am amazed sitting here looking at it in person. I swear I can see changes just since I woke up this morning!
    I agree with you, I do think it is a Pothos. I am not certain, but it does look very similar in pictures.
    All of the little nubs that have developed from the nodes, as well as the bud, have appeared since I put it in water.

Here are my pictures; the first few are the bud from oldest to newest.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76688139@N04/sets/72157629425741612/

I'll keep updating and definitely let me know if you have any ideas.

• riptidefrog
    12 years ago

Glad to see there are other near-death plant drama lovers out there

• riptidefrog
    12 years ago

So great to see your plant doing well!
    Im sure you are happy too as this plant has such a history in your relationship with your fiancee.

Its only been a few days and things have really progressed. It looks to be greening up a bit too. So awesome!

If things continue like they have been I'm sure you'll see roots and leaves in no time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

And thanks for the follow up photos, I hope to see more in the future. It like brain candy for me :)

P.S. I hope this didnt double post....my first one got lost in the ether.

12 years ago

When I clicked your newest link, it brings up this thread, so try this.

It looks like this Steve might pull through. Cheering for Steve! Definitely seeing new leaves forming. Any sign of roots yet?

• dalar_ca
    12 years ago

So many times, I've saved philos/pothos/other vines from being barely anything back to life. It's so fun! :P

If anyone's into extreme near-death plant experiences, leave a purple heart plant (aka wandering jew, aka chain plant) cutting just laying around in the air. It'll still grow for a while, even sometimes put out new growth searching for water or soil. I had one in a jar I forgot to water for weeks and went back to find the tiniest growths coming out of it.. it was still alive off the humidity! Near impossible to kill..

I'm glad to hear it's surviving, once you get it going again it'll be unstoppable!

12 years ago

dalar, I know what you mean! Once I threw a "dead" piece of purple heart (Tradescantia pallida) in a flower bed in OH and it grew like crazy all that summer. Last month I trimmed the "dead" parts of my hanging basket of "mixed creepers" (Tradescantia geniculata and Callisia repens) when I took it back outside for the summer, casually tossing the pieces into the flower bed next to the porch. Now some of it is growing in the flower bed. It's fun when plants "show off" like that!

...Go Steve! Go Steve!

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello, I have not posted in well over a month. After my plant had developed several roots and leaves I decided it was time to pot it last friday. I failed to take any pictures (I know this was a big mistake) before potting it but I took a picture last friday when I potted it and took a picture earlier today.
    I am hoping to check its progress because it has definitely seemed to stop growing since I potted it which is upsetting. It also seems to be getting yellow-er and the end which had been cut, where it had previously been only a small bit of brown, has gotten much browner.

Here are the pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76688139@N04/7218571648/in/photostream/

May 11th, I potted it in 50/50 perlite/potting mix, both Miracle Gro Brand. I put it in a 6 inch potter with several holes in the bottom, and then put that in a ceramic pot. I added a bit of water to the mix before potting the plant and then added a little bit afterward. I have not watered it since.
    Any ideas?
    It looks really yellow to me and has not grown much; Usually when a new little bud popped up it would turn into a leaf within a few days but the little bud that is apparent in the picture has not yet.

Also, it may be worth noting that most of the roots started growing from a node that was above a leaf and a tiny little bud. I decided that it would be best to see what happened if I let those beneath the potting mix.

Any advice or ideas would be very helpful. I could not find anything online that is specific to my situation.

• PRO
    Horticultural Help
    11 years ago

mcp3X -

A single Pothos cutting in a pot by itself will always look a bit lonely. The cuttings will not produce any new shoots from the soil, so you will always have only one stem. It is a better practice to put many cuttings together in a single pot to create a fuller, more compact plant. Nursery growers typically put 15 or more cuttings in a 6" pot.

That said, a single rooted cutting should be in a very small (2") pot. The smaller pot will allow the soil to dry out sooner and allow the single cutting to fill the pot sooner with roots. Top growth will languish until the plant is moderately potbound. That will take a very long time in a 6" pot.

~Will

11 years ago

I would remove the dead part at the top, but this looks amazingly better! I didn't think this one would make it, but it now looks like it could. Is it getting some sun?

A well-draining soil mix will not hold enough water to make any difference in regard to plant/pot size ratio, although you still don't want to add more water until it dries significantly. Keep not watering this one until the pot feels a lot lighter and dry to the touch.

• mcp3x
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was upset to find that the smaller leaf in that picture does not look very well today. It is dried and browning on the tips and it looks like it is starting to die. Another small little bud coming from the soil has a large brown spot.
    I am really concerned:
    Too much sun? Not enough sun? Not enough water? What can I do?

• Becky_54
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the place to post this since I just signed up today on this site. I need some help with my Pathos plant. I've had it over a year and it was thriving and growing beautifully. It's sitting on a counter and some stems are growing and spreading along the counter, which is beautiful! This morning I noticed some of those stems were brown where new growth was forming. I also found 2 brown dead leaves laying in the soil of the pot. I don't understand what's happening to my plant...any ideas?

11 years ago

Hey Becky, welcome to Gardenweb. Feel free to start a new discussion for your question. That's a good-looking plant, lovely large leaves!

Pothos make aerial roots, I think that's what that brown thing is on the stem. That means that at each node (where a leaf grows,) the plant is capable of making new roots to start a new vine. It looks like there are 2 vines coming from the soil. If you would like to trim the longer pieces and stick the cut ends in the soil, this would result in more vines coming out of the pot for a fuller look. A choice you have.

Considering the amount of time you've had it, changing out the soil for fresh would be a good idea soon, but could probably wait until spring.

You may find some benefit from reading some of the existing discussions about container soil, and others about Pothos. There are many. Good luck!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

MCP. I'm still trying to figure out which plant you have.
    You said the tag read Angel Philodendron..
    Could it have read, Exotic Angel, Philodendron?
    Exotic Angel is the company name. EA plants are sold in several big box and grocery stores.

In a way it resembles a Pothos, but the crinkles threw me off.

I agree with whomever said your plant should be rooting in a 2-3" pot. A solo cutting shouldn't be rooted in anything larger.
    Keeping small, rooting plants in a kitchen window, nearest the sink, 'a sill is a good location,' is convenient. You can keep an eye on the plant, if it needs a drink, water is available. Although I prefer water that's been sitting out at least 24 hours. A pretty cup/vase filled with water, nearest the rooting plant helps.

Welcome Becky...

Brown on the stem is from a previous leaf/ves. How the leaves got in the pot, considering your stem in hanging outside of the pot is a mystery.

Were brown leaves soft or crispy?

Soil looks wet, was it recently watered?
    How much light does your Pothos get? Which window does it face?

It's normal for some bottom leaves to drop, especially this time of year. If it happens daily, there's a problem.

Keep an eye on your Pothos...allow soil to dry between waterings. Please, keep us posted. Toni

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations