Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black mark on Croton plant

Posted by Summersoff none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 23:26

ANy reasons why? There's not a lot of info on the net about it, but from i could gather it seems to be from over watering. Can you confirm this?
I may have over watered, but the top of the soil was completely dry and it seems to be a VERY thirsty plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black mark on Croton plant

Sorry, I think we need a picture to make this diagnosis.

o

Sorry for the late reply. It's a white blemish with black edges:

Photobucket

o

bump

o

If that is the only 'blemish' you have spotted in your pretty croton, I wouldn't spend one more second worrying about it.

Remember to use your fingers to wiggle down into the potting soil to check the dampness level a few inches deep. The top will always dry out faster. Another excellent method is to take a small wooden dowel rod, sharpened on one end, to insert all of the way to the bottom. Make sure that the rod is dry when you put it in so that you can evaluate the dampness when you pull it out.

o

I've seen things like it before on my Crotons but unless it starts growing and showing up on more leaves, it's probably just a scar from damage of some kind. Maybe something bit it when it was growing, maybe a substance dripped onto it and killed the cells there -- either way, not a big deal unless it spreads rapidly or onto other leaves.

Crotons are, through generations of breeding, fairly genetically unstable -- so there's even a chance this is just some cells that mutated badly and died at an early stage of the leaf growth and ended up looking bigger after it grew out. You never know with Crotons!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here