Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Calling all of the teenagers on here!

Hey,
I just want to find how many other teenagers there are out there that are interested in gardening or just got interested in gardening. I am my self a teenage gardener!

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

We have at least one teenager who visits this forum occasionally. He goes by TeenGardener. There might be others lurking, too.

This is a Houseplant Forum; if you're interested in other kinds of gardening....like vegetable gardening, for instance, you might look in those forums.

I like that you introduced yourself as a teen. That helps the rest of us do a better job of helping you! Welcome!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I have been on gardenweb for several years, and teengardener was the only teen gardener that I knew that was on here, but I wanted to find out if there was any other ones out there. Not a lot of people in our generation that are interested in gardening like us.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

When I was a teen I didn't show much interest either. In fact it really wasn't until I was nearly out of college that I started down the path that led me where I am now.

when I was much younger my mom kept them and had a few around the house so in a way I would pretty much give her the credit.

After I had been at it awhile I invited mom to see what I had been up to and she kinda caught the bug all over again for the first time in years. Those were good times.

Anyway,..I am impressed when I see anyone from the younger set showing interest in...well...ANYTHING that their peers are too busy chasing their own tails to notice.

Kudos!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Im here. I saw your email but i couldnt respond.I love houseplants. I especially love spider plants and any angel wing begonias. Anything with beautiful foliage and flowers

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thats fine Teengardener, yeah having teens that show interest in flower and other living plants are kinda rare to me!

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Me! Glad to see teens interested you really begin to think your the only one :)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YEEAHHHHH this brings the count of teen garden to 3! Let this keep going on!! I truely thought teengardener and i were the only ones!

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

Glad you guys are here :)

I didn't realize how unusual it was until I thought about it. When I was in 8th grade I had a friend obsessed with orchids--she had a whole growing rack in her bedroom! I, myself, went crazy over banana plants and palms in high school... I think I destroyed the finish on our window sill that was behind where I kept my plants with all my watering/misting.

Let me tell you guys, it's AWESOME being an adult. You can buy any plant you want and make any set up you want in any room of your abode. You just need to have a job to pay for it all. Anyhow, your future is bright (green)! :-)

This post was edited by wndy on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 22:48

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Hi delrey. Yea, being a teen andoving plants is rare. Im limited because of my little sibling

• keylyn
    11 years ago

Draft me in though I never frequent the forum as much as the others and am sort of new to gardening and just started half a year ago.

My strong link and desire for getting into this hobby roots back when I was with my grandma who has a verdant of green in her front yard, even though there's nothing rare, striking and unusual enough and my love for Mother Earth.
    Believe it or not. My expenditure only includes plants and nothing more, since I'm helping with my parent's little business somehow, I get to experience the life of a citizen of average social status in a third world country and if I'm lucky enough, I get paid for around 1-5$ lol. (but I'm certainly happy somehow.)

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Wow, really great hearing all these stories- I love hearing wndy recount on her highschool gardening! I definitely am looking towards a future with mannnyyy plants and propagation. :D

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Lack of money just means you need to get good at begging and propagating. You can build up quite a collection pretty fast. (I am an ex-teen gardener ;-) ) That's when I learned not to water cacti with the dregs from a cup of milky tea - all moisture is not equal - some turns stinky.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am a PRO at begging cutting from hotels, restruants, and other areas! It drives my parents insane! It is truely a easy way to get more plants but i like trading better because when you propagate you only get that kind of a plant you progated from. But if you trade you can get different kinds of plants.

• MrBlubs
    11 years ago

Im one! :D
    I just recently got into plants (last year) but now I have 12 house plants! My favorite being the Majesty palm I bought yeste day for only 10 bucks. Hoepfully I dont kill it... I also have my own garden around my.pond but wont seeing.that intill another month as its coverd in a foot of snow. Having plants to me makes feel like im some where else like in the Jungle or somthing... Just away from it all if that makes any sense... Oh and I also have a heavily planted fishtank if that counts

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting