Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plants can I have in my sunlight deprived apartment?

Posted by mooncat89 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 23:46

I have an apartment with one window that gets a few hours of sunlight during the summer and that's it. I would really like to fill my room with as many plants as possible, I don't think it's impossible for plants to exist without much sunlight it's just I don't know where to find those plants or what plants they are. Can someone please tell me what plants can live in my room besides lucky bamboo? I really like the fern they sell at Lowe's indoors, I just want to be sure they'll survive without hardly getting any direct sunlight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plants can I have in my sunlight deprived apartment?

What direction does the window face? That affects how much light it will give.
Aglaonema (AKA Chinese evergreen) is very tolerant of low light and would be a good option.

o

If you mean the sun is shining directly on/at the the window for a few hours, that's enough for many plants!

o

Plastic and silk plants would work. Smiley

Your options are, as you suspect, very limited. If you invest in a lighted plant stand/rack or go with some large terrariums, that would increase your options.

o

Very hard to gage your light quality from the info you have provided. Yes, southern, unobstructed windows are good (you can always block excessive light). But, I have seen NYC apartments with only big, northern exposure (unobstructed windows) that are very, very bright (reflected sun, large windows, etc.).

Try Aglaonema, Philos, parlor palms, Dracaena, Fatsia, ferns, moth orchids, and marantas for starters.

o

I have only one windowsill in my home and that is in the basement. I hate the look of shelving and plant lights and would rather be without plants inside than live with a lot of paraphernalia. The same applies to artificial plants. This is what you could have, even underground, with only natural light and the usual kitchen lights. Spider Plants, Begonia, Schefflera, Anthurium. The Scheff is now three times that size.

o

in addition to that also zz plants and sansevieria - for vertical accents and very easy care (or non-care depending on how you look at it ;)). golden pothos (regular, not super variegated variety) as a vine/trailer.
also syngonium and swedish ivy (plectrantus) in hanging baskets are good.
peperomias, tradescantia , but they need to be kept moist.
for larger plants: dieffenbachia (dump cane) and various dracaenas.
even some flowers are possible: peace lily and african violets.
really, lots of choices.

o

Mother in law tongue, ficus Benjamina come to mind

o

You can always do a terrarium or two, Floral.  photo winkingsmileyface_zps3bd8c659.gif

March 2013 photo IMGP0839_zps18eb00e2.jpg

o

That's what I mean by paraphernalia, Paul. Lovely plants, but sorry, the fish tank aspect of it is just not my cup of tea;-)

o

That's looking fantastic, Paul! I'm still waiting to figure out how much light we're talkin' about here... Mooncat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here