Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on Monstera pruning?

Posted by gravyboots 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 23:47

I'm just daydreaming ahead a few months....

But, my Monstera is walking on the wild side. We haven't decided if it's going to stay in this house & get trained around (in that case, no or less pruning) or move when I move, or what.

The leaves aren't all that large, but the petioles are VERY long - like, 24"! many years of lowish light, I suppose? - so it just looks outta control. It is outta control.

Anyone know how it will respond to pruning?

I also have a red Phil that is wildly leggy with little leaves - for sure a low-light issue! - that I'm also thinking of pruning in... oh, 6 months or so. It's on a make-shift trellis & happily climbing, but looking... well, ratty.

Lots of new growth on both of them though!

Thanks All!
GB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on Monstera pruning?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 16:07

It will respond happily to pruning by making more branches in the axils (crotches) of leaves on the branches you pruned at least the ends off of. Pruning all branches back to 2 leaves and eliminating the branches that don't contribute to an attractive appearance is the best way to a full and balanced plant.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here