Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clearance magestic palm

Posted by Smurfishy none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 23:49

I decided to buy these decent size majestic palm plants priced at $6 a peice. I am very new to this plant. First bad thing I noticed is that they were bone dry, second thing I noticed was a dead plant, I pulled it out and there were some bugs where the dead stump was. When I got it home I noticed I would have some work to do with pruning the dead ends and that there were round brown spots in plenty various places.

Is this plant helpless, should I bring it back? Whats the best way to prune? When I re-pot should I break up the individual plants and loosen/cut the roots as I would with other plants? Thanx for any help/advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clearance magestic palm

Majesty Palms in particular are really hard to keep alive in normal house conditions. The best strategy would be to put it outside for the spring/summer and then (assuming you live in a cold climate) bring it inside only for the winter.
They really prefer the warmth, sunshine, and humidity of being outside and it will be hard to keep it happy inside a home.

o

I repotted it and pruned it using a home made potting mix. I put some old fish tank gravel at the bottom to help with drainage. I did not break up the roots or anything because I read in a few places that it likes being root bound. I then cut off all the ends I saw that were browned, I think there is a bunch of new growth that died off but I am going to wait and see what happens before pruning it.

o

Hi, welcome to gardenweb.

round brown spots in plenty various places...

Do you mean dead spots on the leaves or bumpy spots? Trimming off the dead parts is a good idea. Rarely is a plant helpless, so I doubt yours are. Would you have an interest in showing us some pics?

The thing about "likes to be root bound" is a fallacy, IMO, and in most plant-o-phile's O's. You can find more discussions about this by searching this forum.

o

If you meant that there are "bumpy" spots on the plant, that concerns me that the plant might be infested with the scale insect. If that is the case, I would definitely say to return the plant to the store if you can.
As I said before, Majesty palm is extremely hard to keep alive indoors even if you start with a healthy plant. Don't feel like it was your fault if this plant dies because many other people have had this plant die too.
If the plant has bugs, then I wouldn't even try to keep it alive. I'd just take it back to the store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here