Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
september_jenkins

I had a baby!

September_Jenkins
11 years ago

On a brighter note...

I had a baby!!!!

After many months and many dead leaf clippings, I finally reproduced my first baby violet in this house (my old house had excellent violet lighting, everything violet was simple there).

It is really difficult to remember to water A LEAF for months and months so I'm proud to have finally grown my first youngin. :)

Comments (7)

• September_Jenkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now I just wonder what she will look like when she grows up...

~~If I could ever get any of my violets to bloom in this house anyway.~~

How long does it take for a baby violet to mature to first bloom? I've been watering this leaf for months, only noticed the baby sprout about a week ago.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Jenkins,

Congratulations on your new mouse ears! It really is satisfying to see those little leaves after all those months, isn't it?

The African violet should look very much like its mother plant. If it has single colored blooms it should bloom true. If it's got bi-colored blooms it most likely will bloom true, but if it is a chimera violet it will not bloom true and revert back to a single colored bloom.

You can separate the violets from the mother leaf when you see four leaves at least the size of a dime on any given plantlet. And pot them up in nothing larger than a small plastic dixie cup when you do.

Larry

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Also you could just pop them(leaf cuttings)in a bottle garden or a sealed terrarium and just forget about them for a few weeks(no watering required),and you'd be surprised how good the chances are you will get the same results in spades with comparatively no work at all. Hope this helps! :)

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Sorry Asleep, but I disagree with you on this one. I would not recommend that Jenkins cover those leaves and container with plastic or such. Not with the soil that it's in. It looks like it's pretty dense soil, and depending on how wet it is when the cover is put on, it may just rot the whole business. In fact I'm amazed that the leaves rooted and didn't rot as it is.

Jenkins, as I mentioned in the other thread your soil is way too dense for African violets. I would mix the soil half and half, ý your soil and ý per perlite, when you separate the babies and put them in their own pots.

Larry

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Congrats! She's a cutie!

• faerybutterflye
    10 years ago

Congrats, I love African violets! My grandmother, who is 91, has a collection of 6 plants that I keep alive for her since she usually forgets about them. One of her African violets is over 60 years old! Amazing! Despite her best attempts to kill her plants, I have managed to keep her collection alive & thriving. Hope to see some follow up pics on your baby's progress! Best of luck :)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have bad luck with leaf cuttings. so i wish yours good health :)