Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

New Gardenia -- Trouble Already

pirate_girl
18 years ago

Hi Gang,

Against my better judgment, I bought a Gardenia. It was small, in bud & a very good buy. So I've have it all of 6 days & am trying to learn its watering needs.

I just did a Google search to read on various comments on Gardenia care. Have already seen conflicting info, on misting the leaves (which I did as it was drying out a bit & I was afraid of bud drop) only to see a site (aftr the fact) which counsels against misting the leaves.

So now I have yellowing leaves & it's not looking good at all. Can anyone tell me pls. are the yellowing leaves a sign of overwatering?

Toni (in particular), is it a goner already????

I know abt the famous Suicidal Gardenia thread, I know they're temperamental & can be difficult. I'm also realizing I think my apmt is just gonna be too darn warm for it. I feel like a MAJOR idiot!!!

Help pls. -- all advice is welcome. TIA

(PG) Karen

Comments (95)

• shic_2006
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting, I think they are just plants. Here, a different cultivar is blooming for me

{{gwi:81687}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Heather, I'd first try the brighter spot and see how it does. That's ashame the soil is still wet..when did you last water? How many days between watering and checking the soil?
    A 14" pot is big..Ihope your tree is large enough to take that much soil. How much room is betweeen roots and pot? Do you know what size the pot was when you bought it?

Now, about the ac..will cold air be hitting the leaves? if so, is there a way you can prop up the plant instead of leaving in direct cold air?

Janice, though gardenias like fertilizer, right now I'd concentrate on ridding the mites..An infested or sick plants should never be fertilized..Ridding mites isn't as tricky as say mealy..thank your stars..If you can somehow hose the plant every other day by either taking outside and hosing or putting in sink or shower..
    If you mist plants, add a couple drops of dish soap to water. Then mist away..spray in-between leaves and stems. Mites find places to hide, so you want to get them before they get your tree..It sounds lovely. Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Janice, I am not Toni. I also love plants and gardening.

{{gwi:81689}}

{{gwi:81691}}

• smiles4873
    17 years ago

Toni,
    The pot that I just removed the Gardenia from had a chamber below the pot that you filled with water. So, I would fill this chamber up every couple of weeks when it would be empty. You didn't water the "traditional" way with that pot.
    I miss spoke about the correct size - it is a 12" not 14". The original pot size was a 8" and the roots were coming out of the bottom of that pot. There is probably 2" between the root and the sides and 4" from the root and the bottom.
    My Gardenia is really starting to look bad. I'm afraid it is not going to make it. I think I messed up when I cut the dying branches off a couple of weeks ago. This was before I got on this sight about Gardenias.
    I have it placed in the window that gets good morning sun and the ac register is not blowing directly on the plant.
    Help, Heather

• smiles4873
    17 years ago

Is putting coffee grounds helpful to put in Gardenias soil? I have heard that they are helpful to many plants but not certain about Gardenias. Thanks, Heather

• cfountain
    17 years ago

My mother in law has two huge gardenia's planted in her yard in full sun. She's had them for about 10 years and every year they get taller and fuller and produce more blooms. They produce so many blooms that all summer she has bowls of water filled with gardenia blooms all over her house. She swears pickle juice is the key to lots of blooms. She dumps pickle juice on them every couple months. Other than that she has ignored them completely and now they tower above me. Ugh.
    So, not to be outdone. I brought home a gardenia tree. I went through yellow leaves, watering it, feeding it, begging it, moving it to different spots. I did this for 6 months until the last yellow leaf fell off and I was left with a 4 foot stick. The roots are still alive and the stick is definately alive, so I am still doing the watering, feeding, begging and moving it thing with high hopes of a miracle recovery. One day I'll wake up and there will be new green growth all over the stick.
    In the meantime, I turn my head the other way every time I walk by my mother in laws gardenias.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

You have root burn/rot. "Feeding" is a double-bladed sword. For a healthy plant in growing season, "feeding" will bring you good. In all other situations, "feeding" is the fire, the poison. In your situation, you definitely should not feed it. Also, if your plant has no leaf, I would not think there should be a big need to water it. In general, I think you should know children are more adaptive. Next time, try to start from a small and cheap rooted-cutting. It will get use to your specific environment and thrive quickly. Try to treat it with scientific approach, avoid superstition like begging.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Heather, is there a lot more soil than roots? Jumping from an 8 to a 12" is quite a leap. Then again, you can see how much room there is..wish I could, too.
    Yeah, I'm not one for self-watering pots..I had bad experiences w/these containers therefore would never put a plant in one let alone a gardenia. Is the soil drying out at all? I think that's the problem.
    I've heard good and bad things about coffee grounds. If you've ever seen or read Jerry Baker's books/tv shows, he uses all types of stuff in plants..
    Do you use Superthive hormone? If not, I'd suggest getting some..
    Though you like your pot, if the soil is constantly moist, I'd repot to plastic. One that you are in control. Perhaps you can plant a huge fern in the self-watering pot.
    About the coffee grounds, do you have some type of filter you can set grounds in, set in a container of water, then water?
    It's not that I'm against using grounds, but someone on another forum said it could cause rot. Of course this is someone's opinion, but who's to say? I wouldn't want you going through more problems than you have now..(S)
    Heather, do you have a pic of your plant?

Fountain, maybe you should try the pickle juice..LOL..What does it do? I've never heard of it, but must be helping since your MIL's trees are doing well. Are her Gardenias trees or bushes?
    To be honest, I have better luck w/trees than the bushes. I wouldn't give up yet. Keep working at it..Toni

• margiedear
    17 years ago

Hi folks. I'm a brand new member, and hope someone out there can advise. I'm in Zone 8 (coastal Virginia) where we can grow gardenias permanently outdoors. But, I do have some leaf yellowing. Does anyone know specifically what causes it? Is it a pest, a disease, or simply a reaction to certain conditions? They are just about to bloom, and I've picked off most of the yellow leaves, but I would like to treat the condition if there is anything that can be done. Thanks!

• smiles4873
    17 years ago

Toni,
    More leaves have fallen off but the remaining leaves look much better. The soil has dried out since repotting and I am making sure to not over water. I am still misting the leaves daily. I believe that it is liking its new location with the morning sun.

I am not currently using the Superthive hormone. Where do you purchase this and how do you use it?

I do not have a pic of my Gardenia right now but I'll try and get one this weekend and send it. Then you'll see my problems!

Anywy, I've been talking about getting a fern for my front porch so I just might do that now with the extra pot :) I really appreciate all your help with my Gardenia. Heather

• lovesgardening
    17 years ago

hi all,
    pirate girl- every fragrant flower is worth the trouble!!!! first, re yellowing leaves- i also think this is from getting used to the new home(!) - it happened with mine as well. my denia (which is in the garden) leaves also yellow in winter
    from the change in weather; those fall off and new ones sprout.
    truthfully I have never had much success with the blooms- one here, one there... but I really love it when it happens! after reading all these responses I am going to put it in a pot and move it in the late fall. (it has many buds now- who knows!!!....)

I have a question- the leaves, although it is NOT in direct sun are now pale green - I have recently fertilized as well as adding compost as I read was advantagious but the new (top) foliage is simply lacking that gorgeous, vibrant shiny green that it had when it was new and that the bottom leaves had... should I add iron? if so, diluted or sprinkle underneath then water....

also, if it is going to be outside in a pot, which directions are best? btw, my area suffers from occasional, strong winds both easternly and from the south...depending on the season...

please advise!
    thanks!
    cheers
    dory

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Heather, are you going to post a pic this wkend?
    Homeharvest.com and www.plumeriapeople.com sells Superthrive. You apply by adding 2-4 drops of ST to a gallon of water and water your plants. This is not to be used in place of fertilizer though.

Yellowing can be caused for several reasons including pests, lack of nitrogen, lack of iron, overwatering, underwatering..the list goes on.
    After a person knows how to care for their plant, figures out its needs, an occassional yellow leaf will develope.

Gardenias should be checked for insects regularly since mites for one seem to like these plants, especially if the house is dry and there's no air circulation. Toni

• lemurnandy
    17 years ago

OK, I bought a gardeniabush. Yes, I too, got sucked in at Home Depot. This is the ongoing saga of the Gardenia in Granbury, Texas. Because I believe my Gardenia bush is suffering from, amongst other things, perpetual PMS, I am going to call it a "She".

Note: She gets watered when the sprinklers water the lawn every three days at 4:00 a.m. It is 100 degrees in the shade on most days, (she only gets the morning sun for an hour or two).

The leaves started turning yellow a few days after purchasing her from the HD where they said it would be a cinch to grow, so I hunt down some help and find the Suicidal Gardenia. Laughed myself silly! So, I see everyone saying Coffee helps, so I trot out with my can of Maxwell House and dump some around the plant. The sprinklers kick on watering in the coffee, and the leaves turn yellow still. So, I go back to the suicidal gardenia, laugh myself silly again, and realize they said coffee GROUNDS. So I brew a pot, let it cool down, and go dump it on the plant. Two days later, more yellow leaves, and my neighbors are now wondering about my sanity. Apparently standing in your backyard muttering nasty things at a plant is considered odd---go figure. So, one more trip to the Suicidal Gardenia, more laughter, and I note everyone mentions Maxwell House or just generic coffee grounds (one honorable mention for Starbucks), which is what I was using. So, I think to myself, perhaps my Gardenia bush is a coffee snob, so I am going to now try Gevalia coffee grounds. I will also be printing and laminating some of the pictures of the beautiful gardenia bushes above. Perhaps if I put these pictures around my Gardenia bush, she will understand what it is I am looking for in a plant. Then again, she might see that as an affront...I would also mention that when I put the coffee on my Gardenia, I do so from about two feet away and try not to look directly at it while I am sprinkling the stuff. Perhaps ignorance will be bliss! Have fun, y'all!

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Two feet away and no direct eye contact? You'll have it blooming its fool stems off just to get your attention. Sandy

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Lemurn, do you have a pic of the yellow leaves? Coffee is used for the acidicity of a plant..maybe yours is a nitrogen problem..It's normal for some leaves to yellow, but if it's happening daily, then there is a problem. 1. nitrogen. 2 iron definciency (minerals) 3 insects 4.overwatering.
    For yrs I fed my gardenias w/azalia food, plus gave an iron sulfate application every 3 months. (3 times a yr) Today, I fertilized mine, using Epson Salts, SuperThrive and Miracle Gro for acidic plants. This is an experement, never used the salts before.
    Then again, if you girl is suffering from PMS, maybe a hit of Mydol will do the trick..LOL. j/k don't take me seriously..Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

{{gwi:73408}}

• gretchenmi
    17 years ago

Okay Shic.....here goes....It is one thing to "share your success"....Another is to gloat/brag......who cares....Your advice may be notable but your overall "attitude" to those of us wanting a wonderful Gardenia is just plain rude.....enough with the pics and how about some encourgement......We all started somewhere didn't we?.....Even you....

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Gretchenmi, I never expect my benevolent sharing of pictures could have offended you. Fine, I will just keep them to myself. I started having plants since I was in elementary school. I had wax begonias, jade plant and two jasmines then. I am not gloating about my "success" with my gardenia plants. Honestly, gardenias are for advanced gardeners. If something is wrong, they go down-slope really fast. My trailing gardenia died this summer. It had all yellow leaves when it arrived in mail. However, I also could have over-fertilized it. I mixed the little Azalea fertilizer beads into its soil according to its label description.

If you are frustrated with yours, you could simply try jasmine. My angle wing is really tough, i.e. much easier to keep. It flowers every other week for me. The fragrance is not as strong as gardenia. The life-span of the flowers are also shorter than gardenia. But mine is very exotic-looking. I am training it to climb a wrath.

Also, there are large quantities of gardenia plants at Wal-Mart in central NY, zone 5. They are in bloom and really cheap. You could have these for practice. If you want, I can root some branches of mine and give them to you for free. Just to show you that I do not possess any "attitude".

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Oh, the cuttings will come from this outside plant:
    {{gwi:81693}}

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

Hello all,

I just signed up after reading so many posts on gardenias specifically on this site. Although there has just been too much differentiating advice on gardenia problems, really, to be of much help immediately to me.

Getting to the end of this thread, I sympathize with the absolute frustration of the numerous people having trouble with these gorgeous wonders. I have learned a number of things, and made a list I'm taking along with my gardenia who've I've named "Blanche" (_A Streetcar Named Desire_) to the best local nursery's ER right after this post. I confess, seeing EIGHT pictures of healthy plants has not made me feel hopeful, nor has been reading that "Honestly, gardenias are for advanced gardeners."

I love "shic 2006's" pictures, and hope that my gardenia grows as well one day. Likewise, I greatly appreciate sincere help and advice, but if condescension from anyone goes hand-in-hand, no thanks. Not to take away from anyone whose identity is tied up in blooms, but gardening isn't a club for the elite, nor does it have earnable color belts like karate. I look forward to learning from EVERYONE here, both those newer to gardening, and those who have been gardening longer.

I love gardenias, and I'm just trying to surround myself with what I love. Plain and simple.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

stcroixmlle, That sentence is a folklore copied from another website. I mean to say "advanced gardeners have more success with these plants". It is understandable that you like to be surrounded with what you love. Of course growing gardenia is for everyone. The price of a small plant is only about $5 at Wal-Mart (less than a lunch). Every branch can root easily in the summer. Are you experiencing any difficulties at all? Let us in the thread know.

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

To anyone in the thread:

If you haven't looked at my page or my journal, I've named my new "houseguest" Blanche because she's fussy, fickle, and too good even for the cats just like the complexed character with her own superiority in _A Streetcar Named Desire_.

I bought this gardenia in early June pruned as a specimen tree. It had about 8 blooms to start which all flowered nicely. After they fell, I repotted according to standard recommendations (except my pot has 8-10 inches of drainage stones with no holes in the pot for indoor maintenance), and skipped the salt since it may have already been salted early spring, but added a half amount of fertilizer since it might have been fertilized in the less-than-thirty-days since I'd bought it.

"Blanche" was doing well despite numerous cloudy days here, dragging her in and out of the house because of the abnormal amount of June rain, and after fertilizing normally with the first watering of her 4th week in the house, I was really happy to see about 12 new bud stems emerging with one near flowering. Then I was forced on a week-long road trip. I was sure I'd miss every one of the blooms on this wretched trip.

I dragged her inside, put on the only plant light I had, put her near the sunniest patio doors, watered her well, and crossed my fingers leaving the house for a week. Upon return, I began experiencing severe stomach flu, and spent 2 days in bed. She looked okay, though, despite being still in wet soil. Taking care of other sick family members, I finally caught up with "Blanche" Thursday evening, and she looked horrible. Too many tiny new leaves yellowing and/or browning, she was chlorotic, the one pretty bud that was just beginning to open was brown-tipped. Well, you've all gone through this before, apparently. I've been reading nearly all the gardenia threads for almost two weeks. I panicked and put her outside in our first full day of heat and sun on Friday. Thinking the soil would dry out, her leaves would perk up, I curled up clinching my aching stomach. She doesn't even appreciate that I probably felt a whole lot worse than she did. Friday evening I check her on the deck and she's scorched, and worse yet, the soil didn't dry. I bring her inside under the plant light. With no change in water consumption, checking her Saturday, her leaves--all of them--drooped toward the floor. She was in real trouble. I surfed and surfed and surfed for highly specific help on this with accompanying pictures, but only found this site helpful.

I was able to surmise that she was suffering from inconsistent weather with less than tolerable light and the beginning of root rot. I repotted her Sunday in a new bag of peat, and consulted the "garden doctor" (they really have this position in my best local garden center) who advised not to put any chemical, even fertilizer, on her until her water consumption stabilizes. He agreed that repotting was probably best, and I asked if I should have washed her roots, but he didn't think that was really necessary. He did recommend, though, that I change pots or put holes in my current pot. He didn't agree that she'd get enough draining with the 10" of stone at the bottom.

For extra protection, I created a screened canopy just for her so that she wouldn't get scorched on the deck in full sun (though the doc points out that these thrive in FL where there is constant full sun). I used burlap draped over a three-screen tomato trellis staked into her pot. That filtered the light nicely since the deck faces southwest and takes a beating from 10-7 in full sun in summer. I also misted her six times today, and I'm hoping that kept the leaves a bit hydrated until she could use her root moisture. SIGH

I just don't want her to die....She can refuse to bloom for me the rest of the stinkin' year; I just don't want her to die.

According to the doc, the prognosis is hopeful, but no food for at least a week, and he advised moistening the peat before repotting, however, I had already repotted before talking to him, and that's his advice if I don't put holes in that pot. Of course, I will first thing tomorrow before the sun hits that deck at 10. It looks like we have a stretch of really hot days, here, now, so the blooms would probably drop anyway.

Shic...I have a gardenia tree which I've potted to be able to move indoors to a skylighted northeast room in harsh weather. She will only live outdoors while nights are 50's or higher. I've invested more than twice what I paid for this gardenia already so that she'll be a long-time companion. No "annuals" from Wal-Mart that root easily into beds for me. I'm in this for the long haul.

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

Two pictures, one close-up of "Blanche" sickly as she is.

If anyone can tell me the stages of root rot, I'd appreciate knowing what to expect from this. She sat in very wet but good acidic fertilized mix (seems like I could have just bought peat) for about 10 days before repotting in fresh mix without disturbing the root ball. I considered washing the roots completely, but garden doc advised "not necessary."

[IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/jamiescryin/Blanche.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/jamiescryin/Blancheclose.jpg[/IMG]

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

One of mine experiences the same as your Blanche. Mine is recovering now. I am no expert, but here is what works for me. If you really want to save her, I have a few tips.

1. Add perlite into the pot to improve aeration.

2. Treat your plant like a rootless cutting, i.e. seal it in a misty large plastic bag. Refresh the air inside the bag every other day.

3. You can mist inside the bag and onto the leaves, but never water until the soil gets a bit dry. You can tell by the weight of the pot.

4. Do not "feed" them. Never apply any fertilizer in the soil this year. You can spray iron products onto the leaves though.

5. Try to use rainwater or distilled water during the recovering period.

6. Unlike other pets, large pot may cause root rot in plants. So if you have to repot, only increase about 1" in diameter every two years.

If you plant is recovering, you will notice the branches look more lively with no new yellowing; nor dry-ups.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

If you want to post pics, use

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

No HTML support on the board, huh?

Thanks for the tips, shic! I think she is improving, although the pot may be too large, there are holes now in the bottom, and I only included a bit of the already-wet peat mixed in at the sides and bottom with mostly totally dry peat-like mix. The branches are beginning to lift some with new green growth, although I can't tell if the brown edges were there from the beginning. I consider the growth her sign that she hasn't given up, either. I've picked off most of the totally brown or dried leaves that she's let me pick off. If I lift a leaf, and it doesn't leave the branch, I've left it on. The image is from Sunday. I'll repost when there's something to report either way.

{{gwi:81694}}

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

I am sure Blanche will recover under your TLC.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

It is great to learn that the branches are beginning to lift some with new green growth. This is because Blanche was deprived of water due to root rot. Now, she can absorb life-saving water from the misty air. Also:

7. Put the plastic-bag-covered pot outside on your deck, in shade. She will love the cool nights.

8. The whole process will take about 3-5 weeks. So be patient. She needs to grow new roots. Give her time to recover.

9. Next time when you are away on vacation, you can use the same "misty plastic-bag" method.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I'd remove all the brown leaves. Give a good shake, and/or pluck carefully..I can see buds coming in..That's a good sign. Toni

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

Okay, I assumed you meant a clear bag, but I didn't have one, so I brought the gardenia inside where it gets lots of bright indirect light, and some evening direct sun (after 6). There's very little green left...I'll post a pic in a few days, and the green that had been coming up is quickly browning. THEN, one of my cats made a little box out of it to compound matters. I quickly put foil over the soil, but I'm scared to death what the cat pee did as well as wetting the soil. This only happened though as the soil was nearly all dry. I can't tell if I should water or not. I watered lightly once when I thought that I should have, but I think it was too soon. Since I didn't have a large clear bag, I put the potted gardenia on a rock tray. It took about 10 days for the water to evaporate, though, so I've also been misting. Nearly every leaf is dead or so dry it's useless, and the one little green sprout I found a few days ago has gone almost brown.

I have two questions: Is it okay to use a huge black lawn bag to bag this plant? It will get no light if I do that. Should I be concerned about light at this point? If the soil has dried enough to turn light brown again, is it time to water? I've never tried to recover a plant from root rot, so this is all new.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

People make mistakes because they are not following advices. They follow their own eagle while that can be 100 miles away from the correct method. If you are not willing to buy a transparent trash bag, nor a moisture meter, then you should just toss the gardenia plant. We said a million times, day/night temperature is important, but you are not listening at all. Who told you to bring it inside? Who told you "indirect light" is the cure for your root rot plant? Toni did not, I did not. If you think you know how to care for it, just do it your way. There is no reason to ask us questions, then do not listen to it at all. You have wasted everyone's time, as well as your gardenia's life. Probably, you should try plastic/origami gardenia. I bet you cannot tell the difference anyways.

• stcroixmlle
    17 years ago

Yes, thanks shic for your encouragement and help. If you re-read your instructions to me, you'll discover didn't specify any of the things I asked about including the type of bag. I've never dealt with a plant with root rot, and I mentioned that. I also mentioned in an earlier post that my deck does not get any shade during the day at all. From 10-8, it's direct sun. You said to put my gardenia in the shade, and I was at least cautious enough not to remind you that I had no shade, for fear of an impatient, or worse, a nasty reply like you did above. In your two posts with directions 1-9, also you never mentioned a moisture meter. I also never assumed indirect light was the cure for root rot, but it's the closest I could come to your advice. You obviously have me confused with someone else. Or perhaps you're just haughty and condescending who only made an attempt to help for fear of being seen as such by everyone who posts. Please, feel free to ignore any posts I make or requests for help. I don't want it if there's a remote possibility that you'll be rude again.

• nanw_4wi
    17 years ago

Wow...I'm still on dial-up and it took this thread some time to load.....

How's your Gardenia doing, Karen?

I bought another one this spring...reduced....it had a few yellow leaves but was loaded with buds.
    (Swearing that this is the *last* one I'll try!)

It placed it on my sunporch where it did nothing for the longest time.
    The buds held on (only lost one or two) and it grew several new leaves, but not a single bud would open.
    I should mention that while it was in that location, I did use distilled water for it's watering needs.

It was drying out often, so I did repot into a larger pot, using Pro-Mix, which is peat-based. I also gave it a little sprinkle of some outdoor Azalea/Rhododendron fertilizer.
    Then I chose to place it outdoors, and I had read that they perform well in sun, so I started it out under a shrub and gradually moved it into full sun.
    It's now receiving full sun for practically the entire day, and it has gradually opened each of it's buds.....granted, it's been one by one.....only two at a time, tops.....but it is blooming, the foliage looks fantastic and it's growing.

I'm one of those who has killed a few and this is my first time at success with flowers.

I have pretty much ignored it, besides watering and it's initial re-potting and feeding.

Just as the 'Suicidal Gardenia' thread shows.....different cultural aspects seem to work for different people.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

nanw, if your plant is going strong, I think you can use tap water. I use tap water now. If you see any negative reaction, stop and change back.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karen, I'm curious as to how your gardenia is doing, too..Your thread has come a long way baby.. :)

Nan, I'm happy to hear your gardenia is doing well..I know people who grow them outside yr round in CA and Fl grow in full sun areas and they do fantastic..Flowers galore. It's only a matter of adapting.
    Did you buy a tree or bush?
    Now the hard part..getting by in WI winters. Toni

• maxine_plants
    17 years ago

Hello all,

Someone gave me a lovely gardenia plant as a gift. The buds fell off in shipping but after 2 months it is still shiny and green. However in the last week white fuzzy things have appeared on the leaves. Does anyone know what these are and is there something I should do about them? Thank you. - Maxine (a new and inexperienced gardener)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Maxine, it sounds like mealybug..First, isolate this plant from any others you have..it's very contageous.

Next, Shower leaves..then w/Q-tip, swipe affected areas w/rubbing alcohol.

Can you place this plant outside? If so, I'd do so until late Sept early Oct. But keep an eye on it, doing the alcohol thing at least 3 times per wk until all signs of bugs are gone.

You said this plant came as a gift,..did it have that aluminum foil wrapped around it? If so, did you remove it? That stuff is murder to plants. yes, it looks nice, but harmful to plants..

It'd be a good idea to take to sink, tilt, and hose leaves. Good luck, Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Hey stcroixmlle, finally, here is an Gardenia plant for you - made with chocolate, cream and cookies. No more difficult maintenance, just gobble it up and yummy ymmy.

{{gwi:81695}}

• turkeyburger1
    16 years ago

HI guys,
    I am new to this blog. I grew up in FLA and loved the smell of gardenias in the front yard! I now live right outside Atlanta and have bought my first gardenia. I planted it in a pot with Miracle Gro potting soil. The leaves from the bottom to about the middle of my gardenia has turned yellow with brown spots. The plant has about 5 buds but they dont seem to be getting bigger. I have my gardenia outside in part shade. Can someone please give me some advice on watering, and why my leaves are turning yellow.
    I have read through a lot of this queue, and I have to say, it is making me want to challenge the suicide and grow beautiful gardenias! Thank you so much!!!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Turkey, though I've seen several types of Miracle Gro soil, some are either too heavy or too light..You'll need to add other mediums mixed in the soil.
    I use all purpose, (such as MG) sand, perlite and peat..many will disagree w/this combo, but it works for me.
    You'll need something so the soil is well-draining..though Gardenia's don't like too dry soil, they don't like constant moisture either.
    If you can summer your 'denia outdoors in summer till fall, the better..
    Gardenias attract spider mites so check for pests..Toni

• greenchic
    16 years ago

Is it just me, or does shic_2006 seems a little-crazy?

• bramasole
    16 years ago

Hi greenchic,

I have been on this forum reading all gardenia threads. I decided to join just to say - I completely agree with you.
    Oh, and best of luck to everyone!

• suckerforroses
    16 years ago

i bought a huge gardenia bush from english garden, it is about 2 ft in diameter, the biggest gardenia i have seen and it had so many buds on it and looks green and glossy and it only costed 40$. anyway, in the first couple of weeks the temperature was in the 80's and 90's so sadly only 3 buds bloomed and the rest just gradually dropped. i have repotted it to a big pottery pot (i don't know the size but i can't lift the pot alone anymore) so far new leaves have sprouted and about 5 new buds for about 3 weeks now, but they are refusing to bloom. i have also taken 12 cuttings and tried rooting them last month, and they all have rooted and making new leaves ( still inside the mini green house) i afraid that they will regress and get worse when i pot them in separate pots without a greenhouse. any way, i have used those plant food sticks for potted plants. i don't know if they are doing anything. i occasionally water them when the top layer of the soil is dry. (i tend to overwater alot, my begonia is dying of root rot from too much watering :(
    i don't know if i need to add iron or nitron or fertilizer, and if i do, i don't know which kind, i'm a new gardner and i don't know much about a lot of things.
    also if anyone knows how to reduce transplant shock for the new rooted cutting from the green house, your help will be greatly appreciated.
    (i've also had a lot of success with honeysuckle but i have killed almost every rose bush i bought)
    i would post a picture of my gardenia bush but i have never done that and i don't know how

• tedjnesbitt
    16 years ago

THEN: About 30 years ago, I bought a gardenia tree [a gardenia plant grafted onto the thin trunk of a pear tree, I think]. Despite many physical moves and hundreds of miles, the tree lasted for more than 20 years, blooming and growing, despite periods of neglect on my part -- not watering while away from home was the biggest problem.

NOW: In June, I traveled back to the Philadelphia area and visited the exotic nursery where I had purchased the first plant. I bought another. It was about 4 and a half feet high, was in bloom, and had many buds. It survived a 7-hour backseat car trip and was doing well during the summer -- on my apartment balcony. More buds developed. The first week of October, I went on a business trip, watering the plant thoroughly before leaving. It rained all the time I was gone. When I got home, some of the leaves had yellowed, but there were about 30 new buds on the plant. About two days later, there were more yellow leaves. I lifted the pot from its saucer and discovered two inches of water. I had to move the plant inside, because we have had two nights of frost. However, the leaves are still turning yellow, but the buds have not dropped off -- they are just drooping! I have not watered the plant in two weeks. This may sound strange, but the tree -- still 4 and 1/2 feet tall -- "looks SMALLER," like it has shrunk. The shiny green leaves are now dull-looking.

Can anyone offer suggestions . . . or sympathy, if I must prepare for a funeral service?

Thank you . . . Ted

• snasxs
    16 years ago

Ted, here is what you can do:

Carefully lift the root-ball with all dirt out of the pot. Sit it on a dry plate. Do not disturb any root during this process.

This allows the root of the plant to breath. You will see the root-ball getting dry. You will notice the plant looks more comfortable.

C

• tedjnesbitt
    16 years ago

Thank you, Snasxs. I will try your suggestion.

Ted

• snasxs
    16 years ago

Ted,

Do this ASAP. If the plant is large, you may need two men. I hope it is not too late.

C

• peaches94531
    15 years ago

I bought a Gardenia a few weeks back, and I haven't had the time to replant it, Well, I finally did this weekend, and I had the same problem, yellowing leaves starting from the bottom. i removed it from the store pot it came in, and it had the worst smell, I assume this root rot. I hope I am wrong, But if it is , is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

Thank You

Wanda

• katwoman64
    12 years ago

Ok, I have read the infamous suicidal gardenias thread, then I found these instructions about gardenia growing, and so far they have proved good. So I translated them and give them to you, hoping to make growing a gardenia a pleasure and not an horrible frustration exercise. Good Luck!

GARDENIA JASMINOIDES
    POT: Put your gardenia jasminoides in a clay pot, LARGE and DEEP (the bigger the better, it will keep the right moisture at the roots, even temperature and the drainage will be perfect), with soil for acid-loving plants.
    In spring I spread on the ground a slow release fertilizer that I use for all plants or, alternatively, liquid manure 20-20.20 when watering every week in summer.

LIGHT: As soon as temperatures permit and it has already begun to vegetate, I place the pot on the terrace where it�s got the sun directly from dawn until about 2,30pm. Light is what makes it flower, so FULL SUN. In shadow it flowered a lot less.
    WATERING: Water with tap water, often straight from the tap to the plant.
    Every three / five years I change the majority of soil.
    In winter, when the minimum temperatures are about 3 / 5 Celsius degrees, I move it to shelter in a small courtyard. Even if the light is low, the water does not ever freeze, it�s watered with rain directly from the sky and takes even the snow .... but it melts immediately.

Here are THREE MAIN SIGNALS that the plant gives me and that I understood.
    1. the leaves have BROWN TIPS with yellow halo slowly, slowly advancing up the leaf to dry it completely. The plant has the SOIL TOO WET.
    2. the LEAVS, the inner ones, old and attached to or near the main stem, become YELLOW, really yellow, as in a forest in autumn. The plant is suffering from the SOIL TOO DRY.
    As a result,
    1., Aerates the soil, rather difficult task because I find the roots pretty much just under the surface.
    2., Water deeply.
    Once done the above steps, clean the whole plant by removing the "messenger" leaves. This allows me to keep it better under control later.
    3, sometimes, when new leaves are born, some grow all twisted and deformed. No problem I completely cut away the leaf with my nail: it will grow many more beautiful, fit and perky.

HUMIDITY: I do NOT ever spray it, no more than a shower, but very rarely. NO saucer with wet expanded clay to increase moisture.

PESTS: In all these years, I've never done preventive pesticide treatments and I have never pruned anything! Except for a year that I had to decimate it for being infested with aphids all summer that have all malformed leaves growth in that period. The next year I have drunk it of "Confidor" (a systemic pesticide).
    This year, no nothing!
    If the plant is generally in good health, leaf texture, gloss of the same, etc. .--- do NOT worry for a few yellow leaves or a few brown leaves or the loss of some leaf: it�s a natural replacement of old leaves, normal, especially in spring.
    The action of insecticide and fungicide should be performed only after ascertaining the cause and intervene only when needed and never in advance.

RAIN: When there is a fine persistent rain let�s take it all. The soil will get rid of the salts accumulated during cultivation.
    When to replace the pot
    1 - The first sign that the plant sends us is the MORE FREQUENT WATERING.
    2 - The second signal that it tells us when it appears to be running out a "PERMANENT" iron CHLOROSIS and the new LEAVES appear "SMALL".
    3 � We have lots of "distorted" buds growing. In this case they will open all the same, but it causes several of them to dry (this happens even when the plant bears a lot of them, because it hasn�t the strength to take them to flowering).
    4 - Another thing that determines that it�s time to change the pot is NO NEW GROWTH on the branches at the nodes where the leaves have fallen for the natural turnover.

If the plant has chlorotic leaves on the leaves of last year use iron Sequestrene, is more direct in addressing the issue, within three weeks you will have the green leaves. If, however, is the natural replacement of the leaves, which takes place this season, the leaves are usually more clear.

SOOTY MOLD: The gardenias aging tend to produce twigs scantily dressed with smaller leaves and become susceptible to the coupler cochineal / sooty mold. The remedy is a drastic rejuvenation: in late winter (March), take out the plant from its pot and greatly reduce the roots by removing about 5 cm. of soil on all the perimeter of the entire root ball, trying to free the roots from the old soil, do not worry if you break the roots, do it with your hands because that way is simpler and faster, nothing dangerous happens. It is very important, to avoid problems in a successful repotting to expose more roots as possible: in this way, once repotted, the gardenia roots will find new soil and will start immediately. It is essential to treat the plant well, leave it to settle and, at the appearance of new growth, begin a proper fertilization plan.
    At the same time the plant is cut back drastically and without fear then repot it in a new acidic soil plus, depending on the size of the pot, one or two or three handfuls of manure at the bottom plus a good drainage layer at the bottom. In a year the plant will resume great.

Is it okay to start with beef blood but no more than two or three times, because using it more helps the vegetation at the expense of flowering and homogeneous growth.
    After repotting from the bare branches will sprout new growth, you will lose the first flowering, but if you hurry you�ll have the one before it goes dormant.

To make it grow more compact, cut over a couple of leaves below the withered flower. The withered flower is cut at the base, near the branch, thus doubling the branch, so after it you�ll have two branches that grow in width instead of one.
    The CUT MUST be done PERPENDICULAR to the branch so that the cut surface is smaller and heals more quickly with less risk of fungi or bacteria infection.

TheFALLING BUDS in a winter housed plant is a normal thing thanks to the warmth: the heat would be good but the light isn�t enough, so the plant cannot keep up the buds.
    According to the plant strength, it has buds or causes them to fall throughout the year.

PRUNING of Gardenia jasminoides
    It is a plant that doesn�t need pruning: when removing the whitered flowers the plant doubles the branch.
    With the right fertilization the plant does not empty or becomes straggly (it keeps being bushy) even after many years of cultivation in pots.
    Of course it needs to be well nourished so that it can carry on * all * of the vegetation and doesn�t not have to let go buds or leaves.

PROPAGATION.
    just cut an apex, remove the leaves along the branch to be buried directly in soil for acid-loving plants. Water thoroughly, cover the cuttings with a well placed in the ground half cut plastic bottle.
    Better to use the part with the cap, because if it creates too much condensation inside the bottle, opening the cap it decreases, and it can be close after it.
    Occasionally check that the substrate is not too dry. In this case water it again.
    By following these few rules cuttings root quickly.
    So easy that I have done it several times in winter, take cuttings, prepared as above, at home in a good light and let it take care of itself.

CHLOROSIS: If the plant is subject to it, no point in using Sequestrene, the plant is telling you that the soil is depleted and must be replaced almost completely. By doing so for several years you will never see more chlorosis on the plant just watered with tap water, until the next soil exhaustion.>
    This is the link (with pics) of the old lady author of the directions above. her nickname is pierabg, anf if you search for gardenia jasminoides pierabg you'll see her incredible bush, in a pot from almost twenty years in a region of Italy that has cold winters and snow.

Hope you'll find it as good as I did.

http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/lofi/Gardenia-jasminoides/D5118047.html

Good Gardenia Gardening!
    From Italy with love, Mimma

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio