Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Asparagus fern

luvofroses
14 years ago

Now I have done some research first and I do know that these are really ferns but in the lilly family, but I couldn't seem to find the right kind of light requirement. Several different oppinions. I bought one the other day in a nice 6 inch pot very full and healthy looking. Would it need the same light as my peace lillies, or hoyas? Any and all tips from those of you that have and love this plant would so welcomed. I sure I need to change the soil but it is so big not sure how to do this. Thanks so very much

Ann in So UT

Comments (12)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Both of mine are stuck infront of an East window just a couple inches away and they seem happy enough. Growing like lil' ferny weeds and green as can be. I have however noticed that they don't like to dry out. I've done this a couple times and they start to yellow and shed.

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bunnygurl I have mine right now in a south facing window but my front porch has a cover so it not as intense as a regular unprotected southern exposure. What kind of soil is yours in? Did you leave them in the soil they came in or repotted and gave a gritter mix? I got to looking at the pot mine is in and is not a 6 in but a 10 in. really big nice and full. Again thanks I want this to be another plant that maybe someone could have after I am gone. Along with hoyas and violets! Better find more plant loving friends. So far most of mine have black not just thumbs but whole hands!!How long have you had yours?
    Ann

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I'm lazy so I usually leave my plants in the mix they came in until they need to be moved up a pot size or sometimes if the mix is just horrible but I guess I've been lucky so far. I use Miracle Grow mixed with perlite. Alot of people here hate Miracle Grow, but I've had no problems with it AS LONG AS it's mixed with perlite or else it does pack down real hard and become a solid mass of dirt that's very VERY difficult to rewet.

I have had my Asparagus plumosus since August last year and my Asparagus sprengeri since October last year. Both were originally bought in 4in and moved to 6in. The October fern was just potted up last night and holy moly are those roots thick! It was maybe a few weeks to a month from blasting it's way through the pot.

The A. plumosus is the one I have alot of trouble with the watering frequency and shedding of 'needles'. How far is yours from the South window? Even with a cover it still may be too intense for it if it's too close.

I don't have any plant loving friends but hopefully when I have kids at least one of them will pick up the hobby and if I have any plants still alive when I die, they'll be able to continue caring for them. Kinda like my mother and I, not that she's dead or anything, but it is her that I got my love of plants from. My brother couldn't care less. It's all about the video games for him.

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am not sure which fern I have but it is the common one that is in big box stores (long skinny skinny needle like leaves)but it is huge. I love it. The window it is in has a shear over it and mini blinds I really don't think that it will get too much of anything (lol) I have a friend that has one and she puts her's on her porch in the summer and we have summers that are around 115 or so I don't know if i want to try that even though it will be on the covered porch it is hot and dry in southern utah (high desert) So far in my plant endeavors I have only lost a few and those I just didn't like ( I'm bad)but now want to maybe try again. I tend to look more for the larger plants and not just the cuttings as I like to use them in my home decor Thanks again and I will let you know how it is going
    Ann

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Ann, I have a huge asparagus fern. I've had it for several years. I got it as a small (3" pot) and has grown leaps and bounds. This is an old photo, I have since potted it in a very large (20" pot) b/c I was re potting it every year due to the fast growth. I also keep mine trimmed so it's even at the bottom, which I think encourages new growth.

Like Bunny girl said, don't let it go dry, they DO shed their needles, however they do recover nicely. Mine gets full morning sun. And you might find this a bit odd, but I water it with water leftover from steaming veggies in, like brocalli, asparagus etc. It's the only plant I do this with and it seems to love the treat. . .

Her's the pic of mine. . .

Asparagus fern

{{gwi:81701}}

Maid~

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I use a lot of A. plumosa in my outdoor containers. Strangely enough, they even survive our 5a-6b winters in the garage if I keep them pretty dry.

{{gwi:3262}}

{{gwi:3232}}

{{gwi:3267}}

{{gwi:3233}}

{{gwi:13108}}

Al

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Hey Maid. I wonder if your fern feels like a cannibal when you give it steamed asparagus water. =P That's a pretty darn big plant Maid! It looks fantastic on that pedestal.

Al, wonderful pics and groupings. Incredibly pleasing to the eyes. It seems that A. plumosus fits with just about anything low/trailing huh?

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Lol Bunnygurl. . . I've often thought of that too :).

Ann, I had one of these several years ago that I sat outside in the summer. It got the teeniest weeniest flowers on it, they were white with orage centers. I haven't had one outside for quite sometime, but I think I may get one this season just for outside and see if it will flower. . . . they do well outside. . .

Beautiful planters Al, I love all the color and texture they have. . .

Maid

14 years ago

Yes, the A. plumosa is pretty unique in its texture, so no matter what kind of shade material you combine it with, you know you'll get another layer of texture. It's a great plant for height when combined with low growers or plants that cascade.

BTW - if it gets ratty looking (mine never seem to, even indoors over winter), don't be afraid to cut it back really hard - right to the ground. It will pop right back. In spite of their delicate appearance, they're soo durable.

Al

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Yip, I agree with Al. . . when I potted mine up I sliced off about 1/3 of the root ball and potted that in a seperate pot, then I wacked off the top to about 6" above the soil line and with in a month it had come back full force. . .

Al, is yours a different kind? It looks like one I have heard called a maidens hair fern. . . I think. I've also seen one tht has long branching plume looking branches with needles on them.

Maid~

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody for all the information. For the time being I hung it in my bedroom over my husbands night stand.(it is a southern facing window with a covered porch and shear curtains over the window) This thing is huge and hangs quite a bit but he has not said anything about it.lol!! I did have a spider plant there so maybe he doesn't notice that it is new. He drives a truck and sometimes since he's only home a few days a week he doesn't notice the differences.That can be a good thing. I would like to hang it on the porch this summer but since we get into the 100's and higher(with good watering pratces maybe) I don't know about that. It is shaded and my jades and some other plants do well there. Thanks again I hope one day it will look like yours Maid.
    Ann

14 years ago

Maid - That's the problem with using common names. (I'm not railing or wanting anyone to turn binomial Nazi - just musing) ;o) A. densiflorus 'Sprengeri', A. plumosa, A. aethiopicus, Protasparagus densiflorus, P. densiflorus cv. 'Myersii', are all referred to commonly as asparagus fern, as well as many more plants of varied species and genera. ;o)

The plant you are probably referring to when you mention plumes is P. densiflorus cv. 'Myersii', commonly 'foxtail fern'.

Al