Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter or Spring Cactus

Posted by luvofroses So Ut. (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 2:04

I found a very pretty Spring Cactus that has buds on it . I think mine will have fushia colored blooms. I know nothing of this plant.How do i repot it, what kind of soil does it require? Does it have any special requirements Have i bitten of too much for a novice? I had a Christmas cactus millions of years ago but don't remember doing anything special to it and it was huge and bloomed a lot. Is this similar? Any help or advice would be so much appreciated.
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter or Spring Cactus

Hi Ann, hopefully the member here will jump in and give you a link to a wonderful site to learn about these plants. I saw one yesterday at our most high end flower shop and it was full, I mean loaded w/ buds and a few had opened. I hesitated to buy it as they are known for dropping their buds when they are moved when budding out. I asked the guy there about my concern and he didn't convince me it wouldn't so I didn't buy it. It was $25.00 and that's a lot of money for a plant. Granted, it will bloom again, so it isn't a total loss. I still may go buy one if I don't see them anywhere any cheaper.

DON'T repot it now!I do know they like to be tight in the pot in order to bloom. Yours being a new plant should be ok in that pot for quite awhile, months even years. They also say no fertilizer while in the budding stage. My CC had blooms this past year, not knowing it as they were so tiny, I moved it AND fed it! All the buds dropped off. Easter/Spring cactus are identical to the other holiday C's. Treat it as you did your other one, and read the link if it is sent to you. Good luck. Welcome to the wonderful world of growing.
Debi

o
RE: Easter or Spring Cactus

Easter/Spring cacti are treated the same at Xmas cacti except different times of the year.
Do not repot it until after it blooms and it's resting period.
The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: holiday cacti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here