Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New plants!!!

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 2:22

Hello friends!!!

So glad for spring finally!! I am adding about 15 more plants to the mux. A close family member passed last week, so here we go again.

Some newbies for me include: a begonia, bromelaid, hydrangeas, african violet and a few more I will need help ID'ing. Pictures to follow.

Main question right now is I have 3 hydrangea cuttings... What do I need to do to get them to root for planting in an outdoor garden? I will be starting out door flower garden this spring and will be seeking the help and advice from you guys again. Iiiimmm baack. Lol!

Missed you all over the winter! Bought a house so move in date is may 1st. Wait till you see my 'sun room'. So excited.

Tiff

The new plants mentioned above... Could use advice, tips on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New plants!!!

Begonias love bright indirect light, as do African violets. Water African violets by submerging the container and not the leaves in water for 20 seconds. be shure to let drain.Water begonias by pouring water in the soil and let dry. Make shure the plants are beginning to dry before watering. Trim off dead and yellowing leaves as needed. They both love african violet water every 2 weeks in spring and summer. Trim begonias if they become leggy.

GOOD LUCK!!

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:30

o

Hey, Tiff! You might want to put a pic of your cuttings on Hydrangea forum, but I'd expect they'd tell you the same as me, bury the bottom 2 nodes, keep moist but not soggy, as humid as possible, outside if it's above freezing, no direct light until you see new growth.

What kind of Begonia? That plant, as well as the others mentioned have their own forums, if you feel like browsing them too.

Lots of people here on HP do outdoor gardening also, if you ask they will answer, but the forums dedicated to such would be most appropriate for those questions, and help keep the HP forum discussions on topic. Annuals, perennials, shrubs, and soil/mulch forums are the basics, very active, very informative. The most important basic idea I would like to impart at this point is to garden from the ground up, by focusing first on the soil, not just dabbling with plants from the flowers down.

If you need help moving... glad I'm too far away! Ha! Hope all goes well.

o

I started with one African violet and now I have a jungle of...a lot. I've found a ton of helpful info over on the African violet forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web African Violet Forum

o

You can stick the hydrangea cuttings into pots of dirt and they will root. Very easy.

o

Tiff, here's a pic of that recovering Kalanchoe I was telling you about in email. Mid-March is when I removed all of the old, big leaves.
- Tiff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here