Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify yet another plant

Posted by ladysingsthblus 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 3:14

This one was posted on another forum.
"Just popping by to see if anyone could help identify this plant/weed thing I found. I live in temperate Georgia, and I found these in the lawn of a house that hasn't been lived in for a couple years and is being renovated. They look very onion-like to me and some of the tendrils have clover-like leaves on them. They're also pretty small, the knobby bits being only like an inch or two in length. "

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify yet another plant

It does look like Oxalis, some of which are dreadfully weedy and hard to remove as bulbils form off the larger ones which spread - hence you need to remove a good sod of earth and possibly sieve soil around to ensure removal. Chemical control probably would work too once larger ones are out.
Mind you there are a lot of very nice, non-invasive flowering oxalis but odds are that this isn't one of them

o

Oxalis.

o

LOL I was a little too slow! :)

o

Indeed, you were both quite fast! I appreciate it.

o

Not sure where you are, but surprised those plants aren't full of little pink flowers. They might already be finished in Z10, IDK.

I love this plant! I use them as borders, and around trees. They make an awesome ground cover that doesn't mind being mowed, or occasionally driven over. One of the earliest bloomers in the spring. When I dug out the grass for one of my beds, that part of the lawn was about 50% Oxalis. I separated all of the bulbs from the grass roots and put them back in the bed. Did that last spring and after just one year, it's packed with pink flowers. When I want space for something else as I acquire plants for this new area, it's easy to move since they are bulbs. I've been moving a lot of it this spring to put around trees and shrubs so DH can stop trying to get so close to the trunks with the mower. If planted thickly enough, it's one of few plants that can actually help control grass with the thick bulbs and taller, earlier foliage.

Looks very pretty with Myosotis. (The tomato cage is ugly but stops our dog from laying in the flower bed.)

Not really a house plant though, if you'd like to keep it, I'd recommend putting it back outside if you have somewhere for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here