thanks for the help

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

Hi,

The flowered plant is a Kalanchoe, likely K. blossfeldiana, not sure it's compatible w/ the Peperomia w/ which it's potted. Different watering & light needs.

o

Plant to the left is Calathea. Second cup contains K. blossfeldiana and Peperomia obtusifolia.

Karen, I think the Kal and Pep will be okay planted together..The only difference, Peps prefer a little humidity.

Although eventually, both plants will outgrow the cup. Toni

o
RE: Drainage

Forgot to ask. Does the cup have drainage holes?

Both Pep and Kal are succulents. Succulens will rot if water builds up in the cup, without an escape. Toni

o

To the OP: I still stand by what I said, the Kal. will want bright light, even direct sun. The Pep is more like an understory plant, which does not want either bright light nor direct sun.

o

hopefulauthor, the pot got a hole at the bottom (escape hole)
i managed to get info from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanchoe

I am sure now it needs full light / sun

I am confused regarding the water need, how much and how frequent ?

o

Karen, I agree most Peps will not tolerate as much light as Kalanchoe, but P. obtusifolia is a sun lover. If placed in medium light alongside other Peps, it grows a little spindly.

Kalanchoe loves sun, so the brighter the window, the better your Kal will look. A south or west window is fine. North isn't bright enough. East would be okay, but plant might grow spindly.

When you water, soak the entire rootball. Soil needs to dry before re-watering. Neither plant likes wet feet. They will rot if soil stays continuously wet.

One other thing..don't place in a hot room. Flowers fade faster in hot rooms.

Will you summer your plants outside? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here