Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enyafan4ever

My Shamrock plant is dying

EnyaFan4Ever
9 years ago

Help! I have never grown a shamrock plant before. I bought one from the store and it was already bushy and green, however the pot it was in was too small. So I transfer it to a slightly bigger pot, where it grew some and was still bushy and green. One day my two year old knocked the plant off a bench. I added more soil and fixed it and since then it has been on a steady decline. Now there are only 4 leaves left on my plant and there are still several bulbs in the dirt. I keep it in indirect sunlight but a very bright room and at about 70%. I don't know what to do!!!

Comments (12)

• plantladyco
    9 years ago

They go dormant, but the bulbs should grow more leaves.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

How deep is that pot, and what did you use for soil when you potted up?

Al

• amoocow421
    9 years ago

Butting in...I have some that only go dormant when I don't water them weekly. I keep the soil from drying out by watering weekly.

It may be the bulbs/corms, not sure what they're called, will resprout given time and moisture...mine always have.

My stepmom has a pot of them that has continually stayed "leafed" for years...at least it did in its sweet spot in their old house.

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My pot is about 8 inches deep. And used basic miracle grow potting soil.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I think I would dig everything up and look at the little tubers to see if they've rotted. If they seem sound, lay them on top of a fresh pot of soil that you haven't watered and forget them for a week or so. Then, cover them, but don't water, and wait at least a month before giving them a little water. If they haven't rotted, they should revive.

MG soil is not a very good choice for Oxalis. If you must use it, mix it 1:2 with coarse perlite you've rinsed well - perlite being the larger fraction. Even better than the perlite would be crushed granite at 3:1, granite: soil.

They're really easy plants if you can avoid soggy soils and give them a regular dry rest followed by a repot into fresh soil. I used to steal several varieties from my mom every spring & bring them back to her in the fall after giving them a dry summer rest. They always looked great.

They do need to be fertilized, but that's not the issue with yours. I'd suggest Foliage Pro 9-3-6 as a first choice, and Miracle-Gro 12-4-8 as a second.

Al

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems to be improving. What do you think?

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I havnt changed anything yet bc several sprouts have come up. I did check the bulbs previously though and they hadnt rotted. Shuld I still let them dry out and wait a month?

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I havnt changed anything yet bc several sprouts have come up. I did check the bulbs previously though and they hadnt rotted. Shuld I still let them dry out and wait a month?

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most recent picture

• EnyaFan4Ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its doing really well now. But whats causing the dead spots on the leaves.

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Enya, I don't see dead spots. Do you mean brown spots?

The soil is very dry. To be honest, it looks more like garden soil. I've never seen any house plant soil with texture such as the type you're using.

Your plant is fuller than before, but the top stems are growing spindly. Plant needs more light.

Which direction is the window facing, and how far/close is your Shamrock from the window? Toni

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

I agree with Toni, the soil is way too dry. To me, it looks almost bone dry, aside from the little sip of water you gave it. I bought a purple Oxalis plant back around St. Patrick's Day. I moved it outside, once it warmed up enough, and use the shower setting on my garden hose sprayer to water it. I just soak it with water until it's running out the bottom of the pot. My purple shamrocks seem to love their outdoor location and occasional shower. I keep meaning to repot it, but keep procrastinating and putting it off until later. Yet it doesn't seem to mind my neglect one bit, just as long as I don't let it dry out too bad.

This post was edited by ToMMyBoY69 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 1:35