Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixielib

Where to house dormant cyclamen?

dixielib
17 years ago

Hi, I was given a cyclamen for my birthday last November. It has been a beauty all winter long, always covered with blooms. I am hot natured and keep the temps in the 60's during the winter. It is in a bright window. I top watered, but that seemed to be okay. I am only now reading up on this plant, because I thought it was dying. I accidently did ok by it during the winter. Now I am reading all the posts I can find here on cyclamen and realize that it's poor performance now is due to it going dormant. Where should I house it now? I can put it on a shelf of my potting bench outside where it will be shaded and dry. Other choices would be inside in the laundry room or in a closet. What are its requirements when it is dormant? Will all the leaves fall off?

Thanks, Susan

Comments (14)

• greenlarry
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Traditional wisdom says that you should lay the pot on its side once the leaves fall and allow to dry out till summer, then repot and resume watering.
    Never tried this tho, but yes the leaves do all fall off leaving a hard corm(the caudex) behind.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

If you let it go "dormant", there is a chance it will never wake up again.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

If you don't let a plant go dormant when it wants to--and I don't know how you'd do that--it will just prolong the dying. Cyclamen have a dormant period. It is just as necessary for them as for a daffodil. Can you keep a daffodil from going dormant? I sure wouldn't know how!

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

greenelbows1,

Cyclamens do not want to die if the weather is kept cool. A slow growing period in early summer is the "dormancy of cyclamen".

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

My INDOOR cyclamen now. My 2 pm room temperature is about 80 F ...

{{gwi:81838}}

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

I think most cyclamens come from Turkey. I am told by a grower that these plants lose commercial value after 3 years from seeds. Too many die over "dormancy". Instructions for you may look different from what the "experts" really know ...

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I've read and done this. As soon as leaves start yellowing, the plant is telling you it's ready for a rest. This doesn't mean putting in a closet..I'd set on your bench, outside.
    Anyway, as the leaves die, new leaves start coming in. It may take up to 6 wks for this to happen..so in other words, you'll have more older leaves die then new come in. When leaves are dead, remove them from the plant.
    A shaded outside area is best. Also, bottom-watering is required. (corms rot easily) After 6 wks of rest, about the middle of summer or early fall, start feeding w/a mild fertilizer. by early fall you should have a nice plant. I would think keeping outside until first frost, (keep soil barely dry) will promote flowering for next winter..Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

I agree with Toni. The "dormancy" of cyclamen is different from that of roses. A deep "dormancy" of cyclamen may mean weakness and death. Most cases of the early yellowing are actually caused by unhealthy indoor environment. It is like the declining of force indoor tulips. It is not a natural desire to sleep. Also I must emphasize the importance of protecting outdoor cyclamens from any rain falling on top. I have one of mine hanging outside my north window under a large transparent cake-cover taped to the strings. Unprotected cyclamens always perish in the repeated summer rainfalls overhead.

• flybabytina
    17 years ago

Is anybody "waking up" their cyclamens yet?

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Sure, mine is setting small buds now. To be honest, it never goes to sleep completely.

• evercamacho
    17 years ago

i was given some flats with 4" pots of cyclamen, my friend told me that when plants become yellowish, i should take them out of the pot and clean them from their foliage and roots, to wash, wrap them in newspaper, and store them in a dry place till new growing season, i began doing this, but then become curious about this procedure, so i read some articles and now i regreat what i did, my question is what should i do to salvage some of the cyclamens i striped from roots and leaves. (the tubers i removed compleately leaving only the bulb) i hope they can still come back??????

• sortagreenthumb
    17 years ago

My cyclamen is going dormant and is showing a couple of (what i believe to be) seed pods. I am curious about how i should treat the seed pods. Do I let them dry out naturally, or do I pull it off the plant and let it dry seperately? I am planning to keep my cyclamen indoors and out of the garden. When is it time to try planting a new cyclamen? Since we wake them up in the fall, I am assuming fall is the best time for planting.

• lahib
    11 years ago

when i got my cyclamen i read alot about it online and all say that they should be left to dormancy period in summer but some say they should be watered less frequently and others say we should stop watering and let them dry. i dont know which is true and best. stop watering all together?? i had them without water now for more than 2 months from late april. of course they look dead but can they come to life when i start watering in september?