Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gave my TC a hard trim!

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 6:55

Following advice on here I thought I'd give it a go:

Oh and in other news my C. metallica palm IS flowering!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving Cactus haircut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gave my TC a hard trim!

Not mine in the pic but your TC hard cut may lead to the following results

o

OMG!!!

I had NO idea those things went woody with time!

Never been much of a fan of 'em but now I'm seeing them in a whole new light!

THANK YOU MR. !!!

o

Holy moly, I didn't either, how cool. My Easter cactus has a hard trunk like that, but it's a leaner, not upright.

Larry, I admire your proactive approach. And how 'bout a pic of that palm?

o

Wow that's neat!

As for the palm,pics when the flowers 'open'

o

Green Larry: thanks for sharing. This is something I might be interested in trying next year, so I look forward to hearing about your results.

o

Hey Larry,

Good job on the trim. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I think I will prune it once it stops blooming.

Larry

o

Well it was quite drastic. Many other plants would have just died but this is a succulent cactus so I figured it could take it. Not only did I trim over half the stems but also I removed a large chunk of the roots . It sulked for a while but the stubs have mostly fallen off and I think there's a hint of new growth!

o

it's a perfectly safe trim, larry. I do trims like that every other year to rejuve my schlums to keep them bushy. just keep it on the dry side until you see new growth (you can mist it a bit ).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here