Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mike - Finally bought Bark Fines from Agway

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 7:24

Hi Mike, you suggested to me that I could find Bark Fines at the Agway near me and we finally managed to get out there and buy some. I brought it home and mixed it up according to Al's recipe and just wanted to check to make sure I have the right product and that my mix looks right. I used 5 parts of Bark Mulch 'Chips' to 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite.

Can you tell me if this is the product you suggested? And does my mix look right? My camera is not taking close ups too well, sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mike - Finally bought Bark Fines from Agway

Here is the photo of my soil mix using that product. Does this look right?

o

Looks pretty good!
Did you screen the bark to 1/2 inch, and did you add Dolomitic Garden Lime?

Josh

o

Nope. Didn't know I was supposed to do that. So do you mean using like a piece of hardware cloth with a 1/2 inch mesh and sifting it? And why do I need to add Dolomitic Lime? Is that regardless of which plant you will grow in it?

I would imagine that with this mix, it will drain well and without soil, the plant will need more fertilizer than in other potting mixes? I normally use Fish Emulsion/Seaweed Fertilizer, or Espoma which is a granular organic fertilizer. Are both of those going to work and how often do you have to apply fertilizer with this mix?

o

Yep, that's the first thing that needs to be done with bark: sifting it with a 1/2 screen/hardware cloth/grate of some kind, in order to remove the biggest pieces.

The Lime should be added 1 Tablespoon per true gallon of mix made. Blueberries are the only plants for which the Lime is regularly left out. I don't think I Limed the mix for my Chainfern, either.

Fertilize according to the directions on the product package.

Josh

o

Thanks Greenman! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here