Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine1950_gw

Hey Purple !!!!

christine1950
9 years ago

Are you OK?????? Did that tornado come near you? Hope all is well..
Christine

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Hithere! Luckily no, there's supposed to be some rain headed this way, but no severe weather has threatened south Alabama, until tonight. Sounds like it might be noisy & hard to sleep tonight.

Haven't been on much from trying to finally finish moving, and trying to 'find' all of our stuff here at the new house and get things put away. And LOL (lots of laundry!) This house needs some remodeling and we've had some surprises like some plumbing that needed to be fixed, a shift in which clothes can hang until new closet is finished, need to get a fence up for our dog, stuff like that. (I guess they didn't have as much clothes in 1900.)

I haven't checked my email at all for about a week. If you or anybody else has written me, I'm sorry I haven't responded, it's not a snub!!

Plants are lounging under some trees in the back until I can get some infrastructure for them. Need to find places for about 50 hooks, and rebuild front porch for non-hanging pots. The wood was so rotten, we tore it out. (There's some of the fence waiting to be put up, by the dog house.) The ground is all torn up from DH moving a lot of dirt around with a tractor, trying to fix the grade of the land and make a flat spot to pour a concrete patio.

Yes, I took the pink wrapper off of that little Easter cactus!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I sent an email or two and it hadn't even crossed my mind that there had been tornadoes in your area(hadn't been keeping up with the weather).

Glad to know you're okay. I mean I knew you were likely still recovering from the move so it didn't occur to me to worry just yet,but Christine's thread here made me think again.

You've got a lot on your plate right now,but it shouldn't be too long now before I can safely ship the box. We need to determine what else I can break off around here that you might not have,..or at least figure out what you don't care to have duplicates of. lol

...when you get a breath,k? :)

OH and thanks Christine,for flushing her out! ;)

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to hear your alright, seeing the news is heart breaking. I truly believe mankind has pi**ed off Mother nature I dont remember the weather being this bad 10-20 years ago. Anyway, your plants looks great as always and your move will be behind you soon.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Tiff,
    I was also worrying about you (it's been awhile since I've heard from you too). Glad to see you're okay and know you've just been a busy bee. I like that yard already!

Planto

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I was watching the weather down there in growing alam, and im happy you are okay. Its just been mid 50s, and rainy here. Im putting and leaving my houseplants out for a few days(and nights) for fresh spring rain. The nights should be just warm enough(lower 40s) if it drops lower, i will drag them opn the front porch, other than that, they stay out. Nice to see your okay tiff

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Purple, I've missed out on hearing about the move! Sounds like you bought a new OLD house! I did that once, too....loved that old place.

We're going to batten down the hatches this afternoon, too. Do you have a "safe " room in case it gets bad? Ours is the big closet under the stairs, which turns out really is the safest spot in most homes without a basement. Will you be in the new place tonight?

After the tornadoes of 2011, it was a nightmare here for days. I sure hope it doesn't hit is like that again.

9 years ago

Thanks for the encouragements, all!

We've been here for about a week, though finally finished enough to actually give the keys to the old place back on Saturday.

D., it's not even a new old house, it's DH's old old house. This is the 4th time he's moved in. When the tenant left here, we decided to bite the bullet, so to speak, and move in here and fix/change the stuff we don't like. We'll be less comfortable for the near future, but more permanent and comfortable in a year or so, and in the future after that. We like this house a lot, just needs some fixin, like the new front porch, fence around the yard, some new windows. And the kitchen is kind of a blank slate and all 'wrong.' All that's there is a sink with a couple small cabinets around it and the stove, frige. Eventual goal is to move everything in there now, even the sink and a window, to add a dishwasher (that can be next to the sink) and counters/cabinets all down the rest of the wall. And I can't stare at a wall over the sink for too long or I'll go (even more) batty! DH can do all of that, when he has time.

This is a 1-story house, but I always wanted one of those closets under the stairs! Previous houses always had the basement stairs under the stairs to the 2nd floor. It's definitely hot & humid enough to work up some serious weather, whew! I did put all of our extra pillows in my son's closet for if a twister comes, which also turns out to be great for playing hide-n-seek.

I'm sure you've heard of the tornado that hit Enterprise in '07? I moved here 2 weeks after that hit. A few years ago when I was working in a furniture store in Enterprise, a lady came in and said the tornado had wrecked her whole house while she was in it. She went in a closet & called her husband to say I love you one last time. He immediately went home and by the time he got there, there was nothing left but the closet with her in it. I think about her and that closet often. It's sad everyone doesn't lose only possessions when one hits!

Missing the porch of the other house a lot today! (But nobody will be knocking on that door to solicit anything for a few weeks!)
    - Tiffany

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

are you still living in Opp, AL

9 years ago

Rhizo, I hope you are OK!! Don't remember where in AL you are, but I know it got nasty around Birmingham last night. Thinking about you when we went to bed last night. When I was here yakking yesterday, I didn't realize the worst of it would be to the north, hadn't watched the weather for a couple days. Ended up missing Conan to watch weather channel's coverage of the unfolding horrible weather. We got off easy with just strong rains & lots of electricity around 3:30 AM.

TG, yes, we only moved about 1/2 mile. And it took as long as if we'd moved to CA - LOL!!

Ended up topping 90 degrees here yesterday. Wish I could have shared some of those extra degrees with you folks way up there where it's still cold!