Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gritty mix for peace liily?

Posted by CJ-Speciosa none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 8:53

What do you guys think? I know they are water loving plants....do you think it would keep them wet enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gritty mix for peace liily?

No. Your spathes will dry too fast. You'll need to water it almost everyday.

Either add something that will hold more moisture to it or use just the turface (or equivalent) with nothing else and set it in a half to one inch of water and keep it sitting in the water all the time. This would be the same as growing it passive or semi hydroponically.

o

No. Your spathes will dry too fast. You'll need to water it almost everyday.

Either add something that will hold more moisture to it or use just the turface (or equivalent) with nothing else and set it in a half to one inch of water and keep it sitting in the water all the time. This would be the same as growing it passive or semi hydroponically.

o

I thought so.

Is there any benefit to changing out the mix then? I mean, the potting soil I have it in holds plenty of water. And when I water it and the excess fills the saucer underneath, it is sucked back up in two days or so.

In your opinion, do you see any benefit from using a grittier mix like the turface? I have no problem swapping it out, but only if it's going to add benefit to the plant.

o

This is my experience....
I have a small Spath that I've had for about 3 years. It was in regular peaty potting soil. It never bloomed. Although it grew, the leaves were thin and the tips were dried and brown. Right before winter, I planted the Spath in 5-1-1 mix. I can water copiously because it drains well. The new leaves are full with no brown tips and I have at least 3 blooms emerging. Compare the old and new leaves.

o

Thanks for the feedback.

With all that bark, does the mix stay wet? I'm assuming the 5-1-1 mix is a better choice because it holds a bit more water?

I think I may try it.

o

Yes, it stays moist and I only water it roughly twice a week. It's certainly a richer mix than the gritty mix. I love the gritty mix for my cacti and succulents. I use the bark-based mix for my PL and jungle cacti.

You see the difference in my plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here