Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Houseplant suggestions?

krismast
10 years ago

Hi everyone! We have a west facing sunroom that in summer can get very hot in the sun. We have two hanging baskets on each side of the room. Most plants we've tried here work well in the rest of the year but summer seems to fry them. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for unique hanging plants that might do well here and a flowering plant would be a good bonus!

Thank you in advance!

Kristopher

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I have some ideas, but am not totally clear on your setup. What time does the sun hit these baskets? Is it open to fresh air during the summer? What's it like in there for winter? Do you want a single plant that can take it all year?

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On a sunny day the sun probably hits them around noon. It's not open to fresh air during the summer. It's attached to our house so it's air conditioned. In the winter it is very bright but the sun is not as direct. Let me know if I can clarify anything else! A single plant would be good but if I have to rotate things I will.

Kristopher

10 years ago

Hmmm, that is tough, but I think it's mostly my confusion. By hot, you mean intense sun, but the a/c keeps the actual air temp below 80 probably? So very bright but not humid or really hot. It might help if you could say what hasn't worked so far. Your first ideas are probably similar to others'.

I'm thinking Sedums, Senecios, and succulent/cactus type plants. I wonder if this is the magic fuchsia spot some people never find...?

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Summer annuals would thrive in such a spot. Try

Petunia
    Calibachoa
    Gerainiums(Pelargonium peltatum, or ivy leaf gerainium hangs down baskets)
    Marigolds
    Periwinkle
    Zinnias

*Most annuals that thrive in bright sun outside can thrive inside in baking sun. You can even grow a sunflower!!!!

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

purpleinopp,

Yes it is a very bright spot and I THINK the ac is usually able to keep it below 80 but it depends how hot of a day it is. It's been awhile since I used this area so I will try to remember what I've tried. Thanksgiving cactuses usually look good over the cooler months but they look terrible in the summer. I believe my mother tried a goldfish plant but that also didnt work. She did suggest an ivy leafed geranium, but I haven't tried it yet.

Kristopher

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

A couple of things - in the summer, were you watering ALOT more? Cause those plant would use a great deal more water. You might want to set up a fan to blow gently around the plants you have in there

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree. I suggest the ivy leaf gerainium because it can tolerate those conditions if it is well watered

10 years ago

Yes, Pelargoniums would probably be a good candidate. Maybe Streptocarpella or Columnea. Gerber daisies would likely enjoy those conditions.

I'd really have the highest hopes for desert-types plants over jungle plants though, with the lack of regular summer humidity. Google images of words like Sedum and Senecio mentioned above, and Graptosedum, Graptopetalum, Echeveria, Crassula, Sedeveria. They can have awesome leaf colors, and usually some kind of flowers at some time of year.

If you have 2 hanging baskets to decorate a room, I wouldn't limit them to one kind of plant, but would have something upright and something dangling although eventually many plants would do both. Depends on your patience level for it I guess.