Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Spathiphyllum 'Domino'

plantomaniac08
9 years ago

I saw this 'Peace Lily' yesterday at a local nursery, picked it up, walked around the store, and put it back. I went back today and bought it LOL. I just wanted to share a couple pictures of it. It's not as full as I would like, but it's only one plant right now and time will "fill it out."

{{gwi:82070}}

{{gwi:82071}}

Planto

Comments (26)

• michael1846
    9 years ago

I saved my peace lily from an office and it has 3 flowers (good find)

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

Very nice looking plant!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I kinda like the architectural feel of a single spath in the pot like that.
    Nice looking plant for sure!
    Can't blame ya for going back for it! :)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not used to the single plant look, so it will grow on me I'm sure. The cheapest I could find one online last night was $20 with S&H... for $8, I had to go back and get it most definitely lol.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I inherited a large mauna loa spath a few years back that I took it upon myself to divide all to pieces. Now many look a lot like yours(excepting that awesome marbled variegation of course).

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think 'Mauna Loa' looks nice as one plant. Those large leaves, *drool*

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

YES! They are nice specimens to be sure!

Hopefully after being outside again they will fill out even more,some of 'em are looking kinda ratty...sheesh,..a BUNCH of my plants aren't really up to speed at the moment. This winter was much worse on them than last. The lighting here isn't half what it was at the old place,and on top of that I've been a real slowpoke about seeing to them. Think I lost some stuff too. Ugh...I don't wanna think about it! lol

I usually do much better than this! ;)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sorry to hear your plants haven't been doing as well after your move... I hope you didn't lose anyone!

It happens sometimes though. Now that you're in your new place, perhaps you will be able to figure out what's the best spot for everyone.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Well...
    One that really comes to mind right away is my tiny prince of orange that I grew from a. itsy bitsy peice of a larger plant.

I literally LOST it after trying to rescue it,yasee...I'd oversaturated the soil before returning it to some humidity trap somewhere in here and when I looked at it last it had all but fallen apart,like maybe two leaves left. Roots rotten except for what was topside in the way of potential aerials which will train down easy enough,or so was the hope. Now I can't remember where I put it back to. Been looking all over for maybe three days now and it still hasn't turned up(did I even put it back in a terrarium/jar/bag? If it's still rotting,by the time I find it I may well not even be able to recognize it. Ha!

Here's a shot of the lost prince before the near total leaf collapse...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Here's one of my view of the backyard from my bedroom window.

I can totally see myself in heaven here once everything is arranged to specs.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

They want out,but it's still too cold. Temp is fifty two out there as we speak.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon,
    I hope you find your 'Prince of Orange' soon. :/

Wow, I can see all the potential with that backyard!

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

First these trees need to fill out to provide shelter from sunburn.

Thanks for the well wishing for my poor prince. Assuming I can even find one I may have to break down and come off the money. lol

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With all those free plants you've gotten over the years, I am sure you will be able to buy a Prince, haha (I mean that in the most polite way!). I see them at local BBS sometimes, maximum, $5.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 23:02

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I hope I find one that cheap.

The moonlight phil I picked up last year for just four bucks lost some leaves too.

In fact nearly all my philodendrons seemed to take the same hit at the same time.

I think the majority of the damage will repair itself over time,though.
    My poor "brazil" is practically naked now,and it used to look like this...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon,
    :/ It sounds like winter was rough for your plants. Do you think the move had anything to do with it?

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Not the actual moving part itself,so much as the new place has some notable differences....one being that.the small portable heater I'm keeping warm with is sucking all the humidity from the air,..another is that it now faces North/south instead of east/west,and there is a balcony/walkway overhead out front obscuring a lot of sun and in the back(south where the bedroom is)as seen in the pics above,a pretty sheer wall of what seems to be some kind of sandstone...pretty cave-like,really. Mind you I love the new place,but the plants have had it rough. I try to keep them humid in dry cleaner bags and it's helped some but until I can get them back out again,it's been kinda downhill...especially lately. Crossing my fingers that in a week or two I can do a bunch of climbing in and out my window as the walk around the building has many more hazards that will be avoided this way. By the looks of things,once those trees overhead in back fill out,the shade will be pretty deep...but heaven knows it would still be a massive improvement to the artificial lighting barely sustaining them now. Not to mention that I've been in a funk lately where I see things that need attention,and I tell myself I'll get to it later and later never comes,yaknow? I'm usually a lot better at this. lol

I imagine things will improve soon though. :)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i got mine last july, but it only produced its 1st flower a month ago, on the main central cluster.
    mine has smth like 10-12 clusters, packed so tightly i can barely count them. and a lot of them have very small narrow leaves still. and all of this is still in orig 6" pot.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon,
    I am afraid of moving for what it might do to my plants lol. Not moving anytime soon, just the thought. I'd rather have south and east windows if I can help it, but north and east? Eek.

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Petrushka,
    *drool* hehe.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Nice plant,Petrushka!
    I can totally relate to Beth's drooling...none of my spaths are variegated.

Well Beth,..I warned you they were ratty looking,so I guess I can show you guys the corner I've got my mauna loa group in...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Here's some more...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon,
    I don't think they look all that bad. :)

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thanks for that!

Once outside things should pick up a bit.

So,,,have YOU put anything outside yet? Seeing as you're in zone 8,..I strongly suspect that you have. :)

Edited to say that I just read about your hoya on the other thread. Silly me! :P

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 12:16

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

s. mauna loa - aren't those BIG? and they're blooming too!
    how did you manage that bagged? are they under lights?
    and new leaves shooting too..can't be that bad!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

The spaths weren't really ever bagged except for when I fist moved here(everything was bagged for the move). Occasionally when one isn't responding quickly enough to a watering,(when I get around to it somewhat late and they're splayed) I've been known to re-bag til they snap back. The larger ones really haven't pouted too much this winter and I'm thankful for that. There's a lamp a few feet away from them and I'd say the Newer leaves are fourteen or fifteen inches,so yeah,..they're pretty big.

Wasn't sure the blooms were showing in that shot,but YEP...been doing it for a while now. :)

All of it started from one plant. ;)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler