Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuckamore

Gotta love a deal!!

Tuckamore
10 years ago

Great way to start a day,

I went to the store to pick up a few things and as always I walked by the plant section.

First off I noticed this interesting ivy, I don't have a lot of luck with ivy but for 2$ I figured it was worth a try.

Comments (18)

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Next I seen this nice little African Violet for 2$ as well and seeing as how mine died a month ago (was such a big beautiful plant...) I decided to add it to my collection.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lastly I seen this!

It was marked "indoor garden" and it was on clearance for $2.50!! I love that purple guy but I am unsure of the ID as of yet. Any thoughts?

An ID on those flowers would be nice also.

Safe to say for $2.50 these guys were mine!

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It gets better!

Looks at all those babies!

These plants are in desperate need of some proper care but otherwise look great.

So thats how I started my day.

Now I just have to find a way to tell the wife I have more plants... haha

Tuck

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    10 years ago

They look like Parlour Palm, Moses-in-a-Boat and a kalanchoe. Brain's gone today, I can't think of the correct names. They look lovely and healthy.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    10 years ago

Parlour Palm is Chaemaedorea elegans or Neanthe bella,
    Rhoeo spathacea is Moses-in-a-Boat, and the kalanchoe looks like a K. blossfeldiana hybrid.. I told myself not to be so lazy and looked them up.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL thanks very much!

The palm I knew but the other two were a little more difficult.

I plan to get these re-potted and hopefully get them back on the right track.

Tuck

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Rhoeo has been named Tradescantia, so is now T. spathacea. The Kalanchoe blossfeldiana might need more light than the other two. Those are amazing deals!!! Love the purple AV flowers, never seen an ivy like that.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,

There was about 40 little ivy pots there and this was the only one with leaves like that, which is why I bought it lol.

Hopefully I can get it to grow, It will be in a hanging pot outside soon if the weather even decides to warm up..

Tuck

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Nice deals indeed. Someone commented on how healthy they look & I agree.

Pls. tell us what you think is wrong w/ them. If it were mine I wouldn't unpot them yet before reading up on them & their care. They don't appear to need it unless you're seeing something which is not evident in the pic.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pot I was referring to was the one with 3 plants, I had to remove a lot of dead leaves/small plants and it wasn't potted properly in the first place. None of these three plants are established to that pot, the are leftover easter plants that were stuck in there in a hurry for easter.

You cant see it in the pic but all three plants had a 3" cylinder for a root ball that wasn't even covered completely. Hard to explain...Basically they were still in the shape of a small container they were grown in and sitting on top of loose soil. I actually had to prop the palm up for the pic. Maybe it got knocked around at the store and some soil fell out? I dunno.

So I figured If I had to take them out to fix the soil properly I may as well re-pot them while I was at it. It was very simple, there wasn't a single root outside the cylinder of either plant.

There, clear as mud? lol

Tuck

10 years ago

I would have done the same thing, they were inappropriate bedfellows, light-wise.

Forgot to ask, what's the cute little succulent in the rectangle container? Some kind of Senecio?

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually not sure what that is. It too came in a mixed basket and it was struggling so I put it in that pot a month ago and it took off. Its now in miracle grow quick drain soil and it seems to be loving it. I can already see new roots against the glass and it has put on a lot of new leaves as well.

At this point its hard to take a pic without another plant in the background lol

Tuck

10 years ago

Did you get it at a BBS? Looks exactly like one I rescued from WM, Senecio jacobsenii (trailing jade seems to be the most common common name.) Are the leaves waxy and thick? The folks at C&S might have better suggestions if you don't think Senecio is right, maybe a Crassula. If it's the same one I got, the leaves get a purple hue with lots of direct sun.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It came from walmart. It does't have very thick waxy leaves but it does not turn purple in the sun (hasn't yet anyway).

I believe it to be some type of Crassula, but not sure which. crassula argentea perhaps?

10 years ago

The C&S folks would be much better to ask, I've spoken my piece of the extent of my knowledge.

• Tuckamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I'll upload a pic there later

Tuck

• FrugalFanny
    10 years ago

Tuck,

What a beautiful Ivy! And I don't even like Ivies:) Thanks for sharing and good luck with all your new babies!

FF

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Everyone seems to be happy calling the purply-leaved fellow a rhoeo, and you all are probably right, but from the pic, first thing came to mind was some cultivar of cordyline.

Anyway, great deal, that kind of thing just makes your day.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm