Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Lyrata - Getting Started

Posted by Shadrach 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 9:55

Hi all,
I just bought my first fiddle leaf fig last weekend, and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I have read through as many instructional posts as I could find, so forgive me if I've missed this information. I know that for the first year, letting it grow without pruning is best so that the trunk will get stronger. My 'vision' is to have about a 3-4 and 5-6 foot set of trees. Should I leave them both in the same container? They were different heights when I bought it, but have already started growing so fast that they're even now. Also, by leaving it alone as far as pruning, does that include not repotting, or should I go ahead and get it into a gritty mix? If I can't find Turface, is there a good substitute that's readily available? I'm attaching a photo and several more (I guess you can only do one at a time!) so I'm sorry this post is so long and photo heavy. I would love any other suggestions to keep this thing healthy and growing! Thank you!

This post was edited by Shadrach on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 10:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Lyrata - Getting Started

Here is a view of the other side of the leaves. It's pretty obvious that it was left facing one direction for a long period of time, so the other photo shows how I've turned it toward the light. There is already lots of new leaf growth at the top. Some of the brown patches on the bottom leaves look like damage to me, like the leaves were cut, but does some of it look like previous overwatering? Is there anything I should do with the browned patches?

o
RE: Ficus Lyrata - Getting Started

Last one - I promise! Here is another view of that new leaf growth. I forgot one more question - should I go ahead and move it outside? It's already in the mid 80's for daytime temps. I might have to bring it back in at night for awhile. We get some pretty hot days here in the summer, well into the 90's/low 100's, and I read that the root temp should not go above 90-95... how should I go about getting it outside and not letting it get too warm?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here