Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Find of the Day

eahamel
11 years ago

I really didn't plan to come home from the grocery store with plants. I have enough plants. really I do.

But I've been eyeing these plants for 2 or 3 months now. They have recently restocked their plant shelves at the front entrance of the store, and these three were stuck to one side, on the floor, away from the display. I took one inside and asked a cashier if maybe the manager would discount them. I was hoping for half price. She went to the manager's office with the plant. I couldn't hear what they said but he stuck up one finger. I got all 3 of these for $1.00 each! I had only planned to get one of the narrow leafed ones, but at that price I took all three.

I know that the one in the middle is a Chinese Evergreen, but am not sure what the other is. Another Chinese Evergreen? Someone help me, there are no labels on them.

Comments (17)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHERS BUT THE ONE IN THE WINDOW IS PROBALLY DIEFFENBACHIA

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think both are Aglaonema. But why would they put those in red foil/plastic? (Please remove that ASAP!) From what I've seen, that's usually reserved for flowering, seasonal plants, but in a grocery store setting, may just be necessary so they don't make a mess.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're both right. I removed the red papers, and the Dieffenbachia doesn't have a tag, but the growth is right, wrong for Chinese Evergreen like I was thinking. The others actually had tags hidden by the paper, and they are Elite Aglaonemia 'White Lance'. I really wanted one of those when they showed up, but not for the price they had on them.

I think they had the red paper (it isn't foil but is water-resistant) on them because they were part of their Easter plants. That's how long they've been there, and they are all 3 healthy.

11 years ago

The middle one could be bay or elite series Aglaonema, both new terms to me. Found both on Consolidated Foliage website, common supplier of mass plants (they don't have any Diefs but these could have come from somewhere else.) Not sold on Dief, with the red wrapper.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't think the middle on is an Ag; I think it's a Dracena.

I agree abt the other 2 being Aglaonema Elite Lance. I recently bought one too, mine is a White Lance & came w/ an ID tag cautioning that it's a patented plant & therefore prohibiting its propagation &/or sale.

Great plants & talk about a good deal! Hurray for you, may they do well for you.

My earlier post on here abt it is a few pages in, entitled 'An Aglaonema I've Never Seen Before"

Here's some pix:

{{gwi:79111}}

& the single one I plucked out to keep for myself (there were 4 plants in the pot).

{{gwi:79114}}

In the month I've had mine, they seem easy & vigorous gowers; Enjoy!.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG, I remember that thread, thanks for reminding me! Mine has the same tag in it. The tag has the letters EA in a black circle close to the top of the tag, and it's light lavender. Has growing instructions on the back.

I suspect the wholesaler put the red paper around them. This store doesn't have a florist shop, just some shelves as you enter the store.

11 years ago

PG, what kind of Drac would look like that (the middle plant?)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Excuse me pls. I mis-spoke. I was thinking Diffenbachia but the other name came out, I think TG's right.

Yes, Eahamel, it IS the lavender tag just as you described.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Went on a search for dief info and found this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting tidbits

11 years ago

It could be either, they're hard to tell apart, I'm still leaning toward Ag. Eahamel, if/when you un/re-pot the middle one, the roots might help decide. Ag's make much fatter roots. If your hands aren't too dirty at the time, maybe you could take a pic? Is there anything about the stems that could distinguish between the two?

It just seems odd to me that a Dief would be sold as an "Easter plant." and currently, these Ags are everywhere, saw a lot of red ones as Christmas plants.

PG, I've done that! Hope your mind can calm down now, on the 16th - whew!!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I think I've seen Diffs on sale year round, not clear why Purple thinks they're Easter plants.

Yep, thanks, am still trying to catch my breath post April 15th (whew indeed)!

I thought the red foil was just to pretty it up & make it more attractive for sale.

11 years ago

Yes, you can definitely buy a Dief in any given month of the year. It's a BBS thing that they do for holidays, the wrappers. The red with gold elastic thing sure looks like Christmas wrapping, but cold have been from Easter. I don't think you usually see plants in these kind of venues because it's my understanding that WM, L's, HD are a suburban phenomenon. It's just a hunch because I've gotten so many plants in the past few months with this exact same wrapping.

But grocery store is what was said. My assumption of a large national chain that would likely deal with the same distributors as BBS's may be the problem, but comes from the identical wrapping. I've even gone so far in my thinking as to wonder if the BBS's didn't order as many as anticipated, so they've become available to other stores.

Regardless, any info about the grower on the tag might help if their lineup is available online for mere mortals such as ourselves. Sometimes the UPC code will be very informative, either from the sticker on the red wrapper or the tag from the grower. IOW, if you figure out what company sold it to the store, you might see your plant on their website. I find a lot of the plants I buy at WM and L's this way, even the little mom'n'pop garden center here in town. If it's from Costa Farms, we're on our own, they have a generic blurb about both.

...and just because I can't find a Dief that looks like that doesn't mean nobody can! The ironic thing about discussing it though, care = identical, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of keeping this beauty looking as good in the long run. Just bored, curious, & I type pretty fast.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's definitely a dief. I wasn't looking at it very closely when I got it, and have seen a lot of Chinese Evergreens that look a lot like that. It came from HEB, and I think it's a regional grocery store chain. It's in the same 6" pot as the others, and with the same red paper wrapper, I think they came from the same wholesaler, but beyond that, I don't know. I'd rather have a Chinese Evergreen, though. They're available here in the South most of the time, but local nurseries don't have them in the winter.

11 years ago

Sitting there with the plant in person, you're in a much better position to make the call, no debate about its' beauty!

For some reason I thought you were in FL. With 150 stores, HEB could be dealing with anyone. There are none of these stores around here, but they look very nice on the website, making me miss Giant Eagle and Anderson's General Store! Is it the kind of store with garden section and outdoor plants, or more like a florist inside with just house plants?

I'm sure you'll find some Ags with pretty variegation like that, and I've seen a lot with red and pink in the leaves also lately, picked up a few but most got some frost bite. Assuming they grow back, maybe we could trade some things later in the season if you haven't found them. We can kick the idea around as we spy on each others' plants on here. Smiles!

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a smaller, older store and doesn't really have a florist dept. When you walk in, you're in an atrium with entrances on either end, and they have some shelves with plants on them on the outer wall. Right now, all they have are hanging baskets with begonias, petunias and impatiens. The larger, newer stores have real florist departments inside the stores.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I agree with pirate girl it is a Dieffenbachia