Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misting outside plants

Posted by rainbowss (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 10:40

Does anyone mist plants that are outside? And I mean only mist, no watering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misting outside plants

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 12:03

Let's see ..... you can't be talking about containerized plants, because they all need watering; so you must be talking about plants in the garden.

I don't mist any plants - indoors or outdoors. When I water, I purposely try not to wet the foliage. Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to water outdoor, in-ground plantings to keep them healthy, but if they are growing under drought stress, simply misting isn't going to alleviate the issue.

More plants tolerate misting poorly than tolerate misting well, the key word being 'tolerate' as opposed to 'appreciate', so as a general practice outdoors I avoid it, and indoors I avoid it entirely.

Many fungal diseases need a moist incubation period of a certain length of time for their populations to explode. Misting or misting at the wrong time can provide the moist incubation period, both indoors and outdoors that these fungi need. Water dripping from leaf to leaf or plant to plant can also spread the fungi. This is why air movement is so important in helping to prevent fungal infections - it keeps plant surfaces dry.

Al

o

Misting would be a waste of water here. It dries so fast it just can't help any.
After a fire in the area I do hose down my garden to wash ash off but I always do it on a windy day so it dries off quickly.

o

I can't help but be curious as to your reasoning.

I never mist any of my plants (inside or outside), but some occasionally get a stronger spray to dislodge aphids and spider mites.

We have a Carolina Silverbell tree in our backyard near the patio that we like to spray down in the evening so we can watch the hummingbirds come and take their baths in the leaves. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here