Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olive625

New Ficus Lyrata help

Olive625
12 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I'm a first time poster - and a first time plant grower - so I'm in need of some help for my new ficus lyrata tree. We bought her a couple of weeks ago and she is in our living room by a west facing window so she gets great afternoon bright sun (well at least the leaves do). Its been a little cloudy here over the past week though.

The tree is around 4 feet tall and has a really thin stem thats slightly bent and it has a lot of large green leaves at the top. I've rotated her so that the sun can try to pull her back straight. The leaves look fairly healthy (big and dark green) but all of the new growth (I think its new growth...they are pointy and coming straight from the stem) is brown, really dry and flakes off. I've also just noticed a few little brown spots on the underside of some of the leaves.

I've only watered the plant once since the store told me they had watered it recently. When I did water it, I also used MG 20-20-20 since thats what was suggested in the store. I'm not sure how much water the plants normally take, but I was kind of shocked because it seemed like very little water (maybe like 3 cups?) was given before water was flowing out of the bottom of the container.

So I guess my question is...how do I encourage strength in the stem (would staking work?) and what do I do about the new brown/dried growth (should I pull them off of the tree?)? How can I get healthy growth??

I really want this little tree to survive and grow well so any help would be amazing!

Thanks!

Comments (3)