Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Mushrooms in house plants

Posted by leasa 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 11:00

I'm usually hanging out in the Cottage Garden forum, but thought some folks over here might like to see the little movie I made of those cute little mushrooms that pop up in your house plants. The ones on the film grew in my citrus tree.

Hope you enjoy it! It is only 45 seconds and you will need Quicktime viewer to watch it--free from Apple.


Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom Movie

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

Hi Leasa,

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

Just a little comment, the mushrooms may be harmless, but they do denote that you may be keeping your soil too wet all the time and it might be a good idea to let the top layer of soil dry out between waterings, or you could end up with mold and mildew, not to mention mealy bugs.

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

Nice movie!

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

That's not necessarily true, Lucy. Those fungal organisms feed on the organic matter (peat moss) in the potting medium, and normal watering can trigger the fruiting body to emerge. People often see them come up during a change of seasons, even in containers that are allowed to dry out properly.

Remember, the fungus is in the soil ALL the time, doing its thing below the surface.

About the only way to really prevent them is to 're-mix' your potting medium so that it contains only a fraction of the peat moss, and the other ingredients can't support a saprophytic fungus.

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

Hmm, interesting!

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

Thanks for taking a look everyone.

Lucy, my tree is not to wet at all. It is usually too dry!

The little visitors are most welcomed to pop up in my trees.

I've not seen them in months.

RE: Mushrooms in house plants

cute clip. last spring i was watering one day and saw the HUGE yellow mushroom growing in one of my plants. they do normally only form when the soil stays moist. have yet to see any thins year.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here