Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauriedutch

Money tree pachira plant unhappy -- help!

lauriedutch
18 years ago

I acquired a money tree (pachira) plant as a gift last November. The nursery transplanted it, so I don't know what size the original pot was. The plant has never been very happy here. It has four lovely braided trunks.

Several of the leaves are turning yellow; they are at various stages of turning yellow so that a few are yellow and others are starting to turn yellow by getting brown spots then turning yellow. A few of the green bunches of leaves at the top are drooping. Watering day doesn't perk them up.

I have been careful to avoid overwatering. I water once a week and by the time I water it, the soil at the top has pulled back from the edges a bit.

I read that these plants like lots of bright indirect light, but I don't think I've found a happy location for the plant yet. I'm in Colorado where it's very sunny. It didn't like our NW bay window, so I moved it away from all direct light across the room for the rest of winter. It perked up a bit there but recently has gone back to looking unhappy. I recently the plant to a north-facing window but it's too soon to tell if it's happier there.

In mid-summer, the plant will get some direct sunlight; should I close the blind in the afternoon to avoid the plant from being in direct sunlight?

Do these plants like humidity, and if so, should I spray the leaves once in a while since it's so bone dry here in Colorado?

Will a cool breeze from the window bother the plant? I usually open the north-facing window at night on hot days.

Do money trees like/need any plant food or something like Miracid once a year or more often?

Any and all advice on how to cheer up the plant is welcome. Thanks.

LaurieDutch

Comments (15)

• canttype
    18 years ago

Here we go again. I don't mean to be rude or glib, but these darn plants give everyone troubles it seems.

At the bottom of the form page is a search engine. Type in Pachira and/or Money Tree and you'll see what I am talking about! There are pages of posts that sound exactly like yours. (I've included a link to one of the longest and informative ones)

These plants are a "Money Tree" for the growers and sellers only and deffinately not for the owner/caregiver! My advice is to read the other posts and do not worry too much about it's decline as I don't think there is much hope for these beauties once you bring them home! (I've personally killed 2 of them!)

Over watering and root rot(or rot at the base of the trunk) seems to be the most common problems with them and once it starts.... well, there isn't usually much one can do.

I wish you luck:-)
    Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: One Money Tree post.

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SRivida,

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'll be sure the plant gets more light, water it less next winter, etc.

Diane, your message and the messages via the link you supplied indicate that these plants are very fussy/picky. They appear to dislike changes in their environment. Thanks.

LaurieDutch

• vincenta
    17 years ago

my money tree is about 3 to 4 feet tall. it lost almost all of its leaves and the one left are droopy and brown-spottes. it is in direct sunlight now. what should i do?

• joyn_2008
    15 years ago

I too am having a problem with the leaves having brown edges. Any advice?
    Also, I have new sprouts coming out of the trunk. They are about 12" tall. Can I cut them off and try to start a new plant?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Brown leaf edges might be too much water.

Joyn, I grew my Pachira from a single leaf that had snapped off the mother plant (my brother's plant). It took about 3 or 4 months before I had confirmation that the leaf was rooting. I think your success rate will depend on the time of year/season.

Josh

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started to spray the leaves of my plant in 2007 and it stayed happy and green for a full year. In fact, it reminded me of a plastic plant because nothing changed (no new leaves, no dead leaves) for a full year. This winter I stopped the daily spray and now this spring (2008), some of the leaves are dying and there are lots of new ones sprouting. Such a strange plant!

In any case, these plants seem to need and like being sprayed 1-2 times a day.

LD

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

I have two Pachiras..Both are grown in small 4" clay pots. When I treated older Pachiras as tropicals, (larger containers, frequent watering) they died.
    One is 4+ yrs old, the other 5 months, both are grown as succulents: watered when soil is dry, and like LD, misted daily. Toni

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, hopefulauthor is right, just water when dry. I water mine once a week, enough to get all the dirt wet but not enough to drain out the bottom. I figured out how much to water it and stick with that amount every week.

LD

• zenthumbs
    13 years ago

I agree with SRivida--I got my plant at home Depot when it was 6". I've had it for 5 years and it's still doing fine. I water it deeply when I remember (once every 4-6 weeks in winter, every 2 weeks or so in summer) and mist it when I remember. I've never fertilized it and I repotted it only once. It's growing a few feet from a bright indirect window and I've never moved it in 5 years. It's about 3 feet tall now with lush green large leaves. It seems that most owners have killed it from kindness (overwater, moving too much, too big a pot, etc.)

Maybe it's a money plant in that it reminds us of how we should treat our nest egg money--don't fuss too much over it, find a good place (fund) to settle it and don't move it around but just watch it grow (or do what it will). Have a zen approach :)

• wandering_willow
    13 years ago

Wow, I think I have the world's friendliest pachira lol. Mine likes to stay lush, and comfort me when I have done something stupid which has angered my other plants, lol. I've had it for years and it tends to be on the more cooperative end of everything I'm growing.

It's true what everyone is saying about less water than a typical tropical though. I don't water mine until the soil is dry all the way down to the knuckle of my pointer finger when I stick it in, and then i flush the soil completely. I also think maybe a little less than full sun too, Mine tends to bake and wilt if the light is too strong, and does fine in the winter under some growlights inside. I've never fertilized it, or done anything in particular to encourage it, but I I do give it lots of love and chat with it while I'm making my rounds about my plants.

Anyway, Best of luck!!

and PS, I love the nest-egg analogy Zenthumbs!!

• tootsie94
    13 years ago

I received my Money tree through the mail, my friend rec'd hers as a gift both have similar problems.I rec'd my tree with no leaves, transplanted to clay pot with loose soil, at first it was growing all new leaves..now the new leaves are turning brown and falling off\plus a couple of trunks are no longer green but brown.I water once a week with all my other plants..it has indirect light and lighht from overhead lamp.Can I do anything or is it too late?

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Don't water on schedule, water when the soil feels dry. Move the plant to a brighter location. These plants like higher light indoors. Indirect light and overhead light is not enough.

Jane

• clcutting
    11 years ago

Help, I've had this Money Tree for 12 years. Over the last year or two, a yellow fungus has started to grow on top of the soil. I have repotted and brand new soil three times and still grows back. I don't give the plant anything but water from the sink every few days. I really hope its not killing my Pachira. Please Help Me!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Welcome!
    First of all, the foliage really does look lush.
    But that soil is not something I would use for a prized plant.
    I think you and your plant will be much happier with a cleaner, more porous and free-draining mix.
    I would also recommend raising the level of the trunks a bit and allowing the base to dry.

A mix of bark, perlite, and grit (turface, pumice, lava rock, granite, quartz, et cetera...)
    would make for an excellent mix.

Josh

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor