Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
true_blue_gw

Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1

true_blue
10 years ago

Hi,

Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica in Al's 1:1:1: mix.
The root system was pitiful, close to non-existent.
After the initial shock the plant responded well, and had more leaves sprouting out than I could ever remember. Thanks Al.
In the winter I gave it less water, every 3/4 days, as the top of the earth looked wet. It is in a North facing room, very bright and cool. There is no heating in the room. The temperature in winter hovers around 54- 59ðF.
From March I watered it daily.
The trunk is 3 feet tall. The first 2 feet is wooden, followed by a 10 inches green stem.

The leaves look beautiful and green.
My question:

Why are the leaves droopy?

This post was edited by true-blue on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 11:21

Comments (82)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Good morning!

That is eye-opening, isn't it?! Okay, so now we're on the path to a better performing mix - be on the lookout for bark small enough to work. Just monitor the watering until those plants grow more roots....they really should have a much larger root-mass, and that's what we want to see happen.

The stones on the mix will prevent drying to some extent, so it might be better to situate one or two larger stones rather than all those stones. I'd also recommend a watering can with a fine gentle tip that will allow slow and even watering without disturbing the mix.

The fertilizer above is fine if used with a supplement for the missing micro's, as you note. I just find it easier to use Foliage Pro because it's a single fertilizer, and makes life simple. It absolutely will work on a variety of plants...I use it on everything I grow in containers, from maples and conifers to peppers and succulents. Foliage Pro is a liquid used to water the root-zone primarily, although there are directions on the bottle for foliar application (I haven't used it for that, since it works well enough via the roots).

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

I finally got around to pot up the droopy Pachira.
    It was both expensive and laborious, but fulfilling in the end, i.e. if I got it right.
    I got a small bag of reptile bark (4 quarts) and aquarium gravel.

It was very time consuming and frustrating to screen the fir bark, and not very economic. Of a 4 quart bag, I could use two only 2 quarts for the gritty mix. the screened wood chips are at the top.
    {{gwi:82415}}

I screened it afterwards on a mosquito net, to get rid of the dust. I don't know what to do with the bigger particles.
    The stones where much easier to do, and weirdly it didn't contain any dust.
    Here is the final mix:
    {{gwi:82416}}:
    Here is a photo of the plant in the mix:
    {{gwi:82417}}.

I tried finding Foliage Pro. But the shipping to Canada is 50$ for the 1 gallon container. I found one on ebay and the shipment was refused. I've been emailing suppliers the whole morning but haven't got any positive response yet. So, it will be slow release fertilizer, gypsum and epsom salts, for the time being.
    The plant is currently outside and is looking as miserable as ever, under the rain. I suppose if it is going to make it, it will take a month to see any sign.
    So Josh are we on the right track?

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to post a picture of the whole plant.
    We removed several of the top leaves.

10 years ago

Now that looks like a huge improvement! Well done!
    Yes, repti-bark isn't very economical...so keep looking for bark, and then stock up if ever you find a good source. If there are hydro-shops (cannabis growers) in your area, they ought to be able to order Foliage Pro. It costs about $20 for a quart here in California.

That big bark that you screened out makes a great top-dressing / mulch for containers during the Summer, and you can also mix it into a batch of 5-1-1.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's all thanks to you and your patience. It has been an immense help.

That's good to know about the bigger particles, it seems 5-1-1 is less labor intensive :)

I was wondering is it Ok for the plant to be under rain? We're receiving something around 20 mm of rain today.
    Tomorrow there will be possibility of showers, etc.

I found other dyna-grow products, but they don't have the right ratio:
    Dyna-Gro Liquid Bloom - NPK: 3-12-6

Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow - NPK: 7-9-5

Dyna-Gro Mag-Pro - NPK: 2-15-4

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt - NPK: 0-0-3

This is the closest alternative I found:
    Flora Nova:
    Guaranteed analysis
    Total Nitrogen.............. 7.0%
    Available Phosphate ....4.0%
    Soluble Potash ...........10.0%
    Calcium .......................4.0%
    Magnesium .................1.5%
    Sulfur........................... 2.0%
    Chelated Iron.............. 0.1%.

But I'll keep looking.

10 years ago

Rain is perfect for this plant :-)

If the other Dyna-Gro products are available, the Foliage Pro ought to be available for order....the only question is whether or not the vendor *will* order it. Could be a minimum order required.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know. I contacted them, Dyna-gro's Canadian distributor and a couple of other hydroponic companies. No response yet.
    We'll see tomorrow :)

Anyway, Lady Pachira will have rain till tomorrow morning. I just sprinkled a little gypsum at it's foot.
    I'll keep you posted.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Just a short update.
    I finally got the foliage pro today. It feels great,as if I have a magic wand or something!
    I found it throughout a Canadian supplier the week before.
    I'm going to fertilze the Pachira tomorrow.
    It has been one rainy June. Torrential showers everyday.
    The Pachira is still drooping, but I see new growth.

I'm thinking of thinning the leaves a bit more, what do you think, or should I fertilze first and wait for a couple of weeks?

10 years ago

Fertilize first, and see how the plant reacts.
    Good score on the Foliage Pro :-)

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I fertilized today. I opted for 1 tsp in a gallon of water, every week. I hope it's all right.
    I'll wait a couple of weeks and if I see no reaction, then I'll proceed to some clipping.
    I'm so happy with foliage Pro. Sometimes you search and search and you can't find some product. And then one day you do a small research and you find it right away :)

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Just a new update.
    I'm posting a new photo of the Pachira.
    {{gwi:82418}}
    If I'm not mistaken, the leaves are slowly rising, compared to the June 11 photo. So, the combination of the new soil and Foliage Pro seems to be working :)

10 years ago

Hey!
    That does look better! Keep up the good work :-)
    Nice new growth at the top, too.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you Josh :)

I'll post another picture in a couple of weeks, to follow it's progress.

It's heart warming to see, a plant recovering.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Just wanted to do another update.
    Here is a side by side comparison between the plant, approx. a month after transplanting.
    Quite impressive, don't you think so?

10 years ago

Impressive, indeed! Developing a nice umbrella canopy!
    Are you fertilizing regularly?

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. Josh, religiously every week :-)

10 years ago

Haha, perfect!

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

I was wondering if you would recommend using Pro -tekt in conjunction with Foliage Pro for Pachira.
    It might help with some of the still floppy leaves.
    If so, what dosage do you recommend?

10 years ago

Hey!
    I've been using Pro-teKt this Summer for my hot peppers and my Citrus, and then I use the leftover solution for my Pachira. I've been mixing it at the recommended rate, or close to it - about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. On the bottle, the recommendation is to add it every time one waters. I haven't been that faithful...but I'd be very interested to see the results.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I'm going for the 1/4 every week watering.
    Here are some photos of the Pachira. The top leaves are amazing, bursting with life, the bottom leaves, well, they're much better, but I assume soon the Pachira will lose them...

{{gwi:82419}}

Here a better view of the top leaves:
    {{gwi:82420}}

10 years ago

Hey, True Blue!
    Time for an update :-) How's the Pachira?

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh. Sorry for the late reply. I was busy raking leaves and planting bulbs :-)

The Pachira is indoors now and doing fine considering it had a fierce encounter with a squirrel when the latter decided to hide a bagel or what not in the pot, early September.

I didn't have the heart to tell you about it at that moment, I was so mad at the squirrel and myself when I saw the destruction. Mad at myself especially, as September is when theses guys start hiding their stash.

Anyway to cut a long story short I had to repot the plant and didn't take any photos. There was no point in showing an R rated movie of mangled roots. But I have to say I still was impressed by the root ball, it had doubled and it looked quite healthy.

See for yourself...

10 years ago

Sorry about the squirrel episode! But doesn't look to have done any real harm. And I'm very glad to hear that the roots have put on mass and vitality. A healthy root-system is exactly what you want....healthy foliage is sure to follow. Your leaves are looking thick and vibrant, and no more drooping! Well done!

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh.
    I'm back to feeding it 1/4 tsp foliage pro and 1/4 tsp pro-tekt per gallon at every watering.
    I'm also using your system of using a wooden skewer to check when to water...

• true_blue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Hope you're having a fine spring. Ours is still far away, as of now, we're in a middle of snow storm ;-)
    I just wanted to post an updated. The pachira is doing fine and the new are must less droopy and there is new growth so everything is well.

I'm adding a couple of table spoons of white vinegar to my water as my water is quite alkaline. (ph 7.5-8.5).

I had a question about the skewer method to test when one has to water.
    How many inches do you shover your skewer in the soil?
    How long do you keep it in before you pull out to check for the humidity?

I normally push the skewer in 4- 5 inches, leave it in for 15 minutes. However, with this method sometimes I can go without watering for 10 days. As the stick is still humid. Is that normal?

Thanks a lot,

True.

10 years ago

Hey! Glad to see the plant still thriving!

Push the skewer all the way to the bottom of the mix, if you can, and leave it for 15 minutes, yes. That should be long enough to get a good read. I'd personally water the tree regularly, since it's in a free-draining mix. 7 - 10 days isn't so unusual. Give it a nice thorough flushing this weekend, perhaps, and then fertilize at 1/2 strength after.

Josh

9 years ago

Hey, True!
    How is the tree doing?

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Josh, I never got the message. The plant is amazing. It's got quite tall, If I get around to it, I'll post another picture :-)

9 years ago

Thanks! No worries...the message notification system was spotty at best.

So, will you be pruning this Summer, and possibly rooting the top of the cutting?

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not so sure about pruning it yet. I sort of like it's tall, majestic, albeit a bit bent stance. (The canopy seems to be a bit heavy for the greenish top stem.

I've got a smaller one already, so I won't be rooting any. I've got enough the way it is :-)

I pruned the smaller one a couple of days ago, inspired by one of your posts. I want to see how it will develop and if I like it, then I might lop the big one next year.

They develop really nice woody trunks.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh as promised here is a photo of the Pachira.

As you can see the stem has bent under the weight of the canopy. I need to get a taller bamboo stick to straighten it, ....

- Bob

9 years ago

It looks great! What a turnaround!

I assume you're "aiming" the tree toward the light so that it will naturally straighten itself?

That's what I have to do with mine - aim the bend or lean *away* from the window/light source so that it pulls itself toward the light and naturally straightens.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes. It is my pride & joy :-)

The leaning started in September when it was outside. I tried the method but the top stem is quite wobbly and is now forming another bend in the other direction. I am of the mind to get a tall bamboo and attach it firmly.

- Bob

• true_blue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Josh hope you're doing fine.

I need a little bit of help with the pruning, this spring.

Last spring, I tried lopping it, hoping to make it bushy. It sprouted two 1 feet tall sprouts, unfortunately they got bent & battered in a storm last September, forcing me cut them off.

And then in mid January it started a new sprout.

Since then, it's gone slightly downhill, probably due to light, as it's difficult to maneuver.

I was thinking of lopping it again, this spring, where I put the arrow. Do you think it will perk it up, or shall I let it be....

8 years ago

Hey, Blue, doing well.

Do you want it that tall? I'd probably get it outdoors for a few weeks, then chop it down the trunk quite a ways.

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Josh, for your prompt answer.

No I don't want it that tall, max 5.5'.

That was the plan: 3 weeks outdoors, then chop-chop.

Which place will be better, 1 or 2. (I'm more for 1)

• Angie
    8 years ago

Hey Josh sorry to intrude but I have a question maybe an issue so it's been really beautiful out in the 70s so I put all my babies outside for a bit the wind took a nice gush and knocked over my Pachira breaking its pot so I have no choice but to repot as I was going to anyway to a bigger pot I bought this orchid mix also a potting mix I'll attach pictures just wondering if this will be a good mix as I think the pieces in the orchid mix are huge can you please help thanks in advance

• Dave
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wouldn't use that orchid mix. The pieces are too large. Try to find some pine bark mulch.

this stuff I got at agway is great. Very little sapwood too.

5:1:1 mix I made with it:

8 years ago

Blue, I'd go with number 1, too, although you could chop it even further down the trunk if you wanted.

Angie, Dave is right...that bark is too big. You need a fine-grade Orchid Mix, or smaller bark (no larger than 1/2 inch at max).

Josh

• true_blue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great, that's what I thought.

I'd be a hesitant to cut through the woody stem though :-)

• Angie
    8 years ago

Thanks so much Dave and Josh can someone tell me how to make the 5:1:1 I thought I saw it on one of the forums but I can't find it. Thanks in advance

• true_blue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

5 parts bark fines/ 1 part perlite, 1 part peat moss

• Angie
    8 years ago

Thank you true_blue I really appreciate it!

• Melissa
    7 years ago

Hello, I apologize for just jumping in here on this discussion thread but I am unsure how to start a new thread (just signed up today) and this has been where I've found all my tips and advice since acquiring my pachira aquatica plants in May (college graduation gift). I have three of these plants (they came as a "money tree grove") and I ended up re-potting in early June due to poor soil, possible root rot on one of the plants (not this one), and crowding. My question is: I had moved this particular plant to a table in front of a big bay window due to droopy leaves and have been doing the fertilizer suggested in this post (second week using fertilizer but I've already seen some small improvement). The tree has been growing new growth and raising some of its leaves, but... we recently added a mischievous kitten to our household who decided tonight to play in the plant while I was not in the room. I have a bent, but not broken, stem and am not sure what to do. I've moved the plant to a safe area for the night (where it is at in the pictures) but I was wondering if I should remove/ cut the stem or see what happens. If I should remove it, should I cut right below the bend? I do not want to lose the stalk it is on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I already appreciate all the amazing advice and tips I have found on here so far. Thank you in advance for your time!

7 years ago

Unclear image. If the stem is simply bent, and not snapped, then I would just tie it up until the tissue hardens. Pachira stems are very pliant when green.

Josh

• Anthony
    7 years ago

Drooping leaves are most often a sign of over drainage soil or pot bound.

• Melissa
    7 years ago

Thanks, Josh! :) It is just bent so I will tie it up and see what happens. Sorry about the unclear image, I had trouble getting my camera to focus on that one stem. :( Anthony, I am using a fine orchid mix with perlite that I added (I believe I did 3 parts mix, 1 part perlite, as suggested from another discussion thread) (I live in southwest Arizona with a lack of access to good gardening centers and since I wanted to re-pot in a hurry to save the plants from the stalk that had root rot after receiving them I was unable to "build my own" soil). I was planning to re-pot in a year or two with better material I am going to order online and move to the next size or higher pot. Unless you feel I need to re-pot sooner. Right now, it is in a 6 inch pot. They were 3 small braided trees grouped together in a relatively small rectangular pot when I received them so I had thought a 6 inch pot would give them room to grow (without causing too much stress) as they would be separated in their own pots. This is the largest of the three small braided trees I have. Unless the tree's roots have grown at an exceptional rate since June I do not think it is pot bound (but, of course I could be wrong, this is my first time caring for these plants and I know little about gardening). I moved them, a few weeks ago, to a west facing window with better sunlight thinking they were getting too little light in the east window I had them in due to an awning being in the way and have been giving the supplements suggested here. I've seen improvement so I was doing the waiting game on the drooping. Thank you for the advice and taking the time to help. I appreciate it greatly!

7 years ago

Melissa, your mix is fine, and I'm sure it will hold your plants until you can re-pot in the future. Definitely keep the mix moist this time of year.

Josh

• Melissa
    7 years ago

Thank you, Josh! I appreciate it so much! :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz