Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify this plant

Posted by roseperson z5 S/E MI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 11:46

I saw this plant in my Dentist's office on 4/13/2013 and love it. Could you please identify this plant and suggest a mail-order source where I could get one from? From ground level to the tip of the flower it is about 2 feet tall (may be a little less); the leaves are symmetrical on left and right only.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify this plant

Clivia

o

I agree that it's a Clivia, just lovely.

I don't know if you're a beginner w/ plants. I haven't found these easy to grow, am trying again, but you may wish to read up on its requirements & see if you'll be able to meet them before buying one. They're not that quick to bloom either from what I've heard.

Perhaps the dentist's office where you saw it can suggest care info. & a source they used.

o

Yes, ask your dentist where they got it. My guess is that it came from a florist, because the conditions in the office would not be conducive to the life and flowering of clivias. But if you want to take on a big plant project, do some research, then get yourself one and have at it.

o

I wouldn't put to much stock in clivia cultivation advice from a dentist office and even less from the place that sold it to the office.

Yes It's a Clivia miniata as mentioned it's a big plant growing project Link to some Cliva selections

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here