Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summersunlight

Gardenia update: Cuttings have rooted!

summersunlight
11 years ago

Some might have seen my post about how I bought a small gardenia a couple months ago with the goal/hope of keeping it as a year-round houseplant. Knowing how fussy this plant is, one of the first things I did when I brought it home was take a LOT of cuttings as insurance policies.

After trying cuttings in a variety of setups, this seems to have produced the best root growth: Green tip cuttings in PERLITE, enclosed in a ziploc bag for humidity, and placed in bright indirect light (I used the northern window in my kitchen).

My plan is to grow the cuttings outside over the summer, while keeping the mama plant indoors.

So far the mama plant doesn't appear to have bugs, and knowing how buggy gardenia can be, I am wary of putting the one I want to keep as a houseplant outside.

If the outdoor ones do well, then the next experiment will be seeing if I can overwinter them in my garage.

Just thought that this might encourage people who love gardenias but have been frightened by them by all the bad news threads about them. :) So far my gardenia seems to have a will to live, though at this stage I still won't be surprised if it all falls apart.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator