Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tradescantia "Red Hill" EA

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 12:05

I thought tradescantia were purple, I must be thinking of the purple and green striped plant I had years ago. I picked this one up today, and it's not purple, and it's all fuzzy. I checked on Exotic Angel's site, and they show a picture of Red Hill, but it's purple and green. Hmmm.
Then I checked on GW, and discovered that nobody here knows what it is , either.
This version of Red Hill seems to have narrow long leaves, and in spite of the shine, it's fuzzy. Should I put it in more light? Less light? I'm taking a page from PurpleinOpp and want to make a hanging basket for my back porch. Coleus, this tradescantia, and maybe a little pilea.
It's been a long winter, I'm ready to get started with some plantings.!
Lennie in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tradescantia "Red Hill" EA

Nice! I hope you enjoy your hanging basket as much as I do mine!

I've gotten 2 quite different plants labeled 'Red Hill' from EA. The one that looks like your pic (though wasn't nearly as full/developed) got dropped a couple months ago, hasn't looked right since. If I see another one, I'll pick it up. Never did get to see the flowers on that.

The other one seems to be T. blossfeldiana and I *think* it's still around here somewhere... (IDK where anything is for sure @ the moment, except the hat on my head, moving this weekend.) Stopped by here while taking a break from packing, pleasant surprise.

IDK why EA has such trouble with their plant names (or why they call genera species.)

o

Thanks! I'll be sure to post if it ever blooms.
Good luck with the move, hope it goes as planned and nothing is lost for very long.

Lennie

o

I think your plant may be Cyanotis somaliensis. Many of these little hairy "Red Hill' plants have bloomed 'out there' and that's what they seem to be. Look up the blooms, you'll know they're different from Tradescantia if they show up - feathery petals!

o

Thanks for thinking of my plant, but sad to say "Red Hill" died a spectacular death. I watered it once, and it started to rot. It turned shiny and gooey and rotted piece by piece. It was amazing, I could do nothing to stop it. Finally, I took cuttings and tried to grow some in soil, others in water. They all rotted, except one tiny piece in a small pot in my kitchen window. It has 3 leaves, and I basically dribble water into the pot when I think of it.
Thank goodness I didn't spend more than $4 on it, but it still ticks me off. Anyway, I think I have stopped buying house plants at my grocery store for now.
Thanks,
Lennie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here