Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fiddle leaf fig branching

Posted by Figgy31 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:22

Hello!

I have a fiddle leaf fig I bought 15 months ago. For the first year there was no new growth; about half the leaves developed brown spots and several turned yellow and fell off. Then suddenly in January the tree began to grow! It now has 8 new, healthy looking leaves.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to promote growth/branching on the lower part of the tree (the bottom 2' of the trunk are bare, with marks where a handful of leaves have fallen off) as well as on the side of the trunk where there aren't many leaves. I've read some instrux about nicking and notching in this this forum but I am a novice and don't really understand the terms and what would be most useful. The tree is currently about 5 feet tall.

Thanks so much for your help! Can post more pics if necessary..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fiddle leaf fig branching

Figgy31,
Sorry, I am not answering your question, just "re-inserting" your picture. I am not sure why they appear upside down or sideways sometimes. I hope you don't mind, I flipped your picture right side up..

I wish I had an answer for you, but Ficus are one houseplant I don't grow.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:58

o

Thanks Planto! Appreciate it.

o

Figgy,
Must be the week for Fiddle Leaf Fig questions. Another poster asked a similiar question a couple days after your post. Here's a link I found that was found in the other post that will bring you to yet another post that talks about making these plants branch. I hope that made sense lol

I hope this answers your questions.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post regarding making Fiddle Leaf Figs branch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here