Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figgy31

fiddle leaf fig branching

Figgy31
10 years ago

Hello!

I have a fiddle leaf fig I bought 15 months ago. For the first year there was no new growth; about half the leaves developed brown spots and several turned yellow and fell off. Then suddenly in January the tree began to grow! It now has 8 new, healthy looking leaves.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to promote growth/branching on the lower part of the tree (the bottom 2' of the trunk are bare, with marks where a handful of leaves have fallen off) as well as on the side of the trunk where there aren't many leaves. I've read some instrux about nicking and notching in this this forum but I am a novice and don't really understand the terms and what would be most useful. The tree is currently about 5 feet tall.

Thanks so much for your help! Can post more pics if necessary..

Comments (5)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Figgy31,
    Sorry, I am not answering your question, just "re-inserting" your picture. I am not sure why they appear upside down or sideways sometimes. I hope you don't mind, I flipped your picture right side up..

I wish I had an answer for you, but Ficus are one houseplant I don't grow.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:58

• Figgy31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Planto! Appreciate it.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Figgy,
    Must be the week for Fiddle Leaf Fig questions. Another poster asked a similiar question a couple days after your post. Here's a link I found that was found in the other post that will bring you to yet another post that talks about making these plants branch. I hope that made sense lol

I hope this answers your questions.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post regarding making Fiddle Leaf Figs branch

• HU-8849100
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for help with getting my Fiddle Leaf to branch more...one branch has grown an off shoot, but I don't know what convinced it to do that. It's an indoor tree in CA, I've had it for a little less than 3 years. It started with 3 even trunks, but as I was learning about water, It lost a lot of leaves, particularly on the back trunk. Now I give it 1 gal of water once a week. measured so I can keep track of if it needs more or less. I give it a bit of random fertilizer occasionally. All the trunks are staked and it reliably puts out a trio of leaves several times a year. I'm not sure if I should support the off shoot, it's putting out leaves too. (Ok while writing this, I've decided to tie the side branch to the stake for support) Eventually I figure I can tie it off to the balcony above when it gets tall enough. It was about 3 or 3+1/2 feet tall when I got it and now it's leaves top out about 7 feet, (measured from base of trunk) Because of the way it's grown, I haven't turned it much and I was wondering if it is too late to start rotating it? Looking for any help, thoughts, comments. It's so tall, I'm scared to cut it back. thanks!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

You'd be better for divesting yourself of the idea that cutting a plant back is somehow taboo. If your plant can't support itself, it's time to cut it back. Unfortunately, now isn't such a good time to cut it back unless your in a position to keep it outdoors for a month or two. Pruning, though, should be a regular part of your maintenance program. Why let a tree grow to the point it looks totally unkempt just so you can admire how much it's grown? How about some pictures of it so we can figure out a plan.

Al

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022