Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
black_thumb

Need a large house plant

black-thumb
17 years ago

Hi everyone

I have a corner in my livingroom that is just screaming for a tall widespread plant. I wanted to use a majesty palm (they have big beautiful ones at BJ's) but bought one last year and it promptly died on me so not going there again. The Palm would have looked perfect in that spot. Would someone be able to recommend a house plant that is large and kinda widespread that isn't going to die indoors. I live in the North East.

Oh and it would be great if it didn't have bugs in it like the palm plant did. Yuck!

Thanks

Comments (26)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

What sort of natural light does this corner get during the day?

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Indirect light. Its a farely bright room on a sunny day but it won't be in the suns direct path.

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

One of the larger Peace lilies would look nice there. Or how about one of the Dracaenas? Monstera is another idea. Snake plants get large and are beautiful. Good luck deciding!

Jen

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Majesty palms are not very good indoor palms and many people (not all maybe) have trouble keeping them healthy or for that matter, even alive. If you really like palms, how about something like an Areca palm, also known as Butterfly palm, Madagascar palm or, Golden cane palm.

This palm was a gift given to me when it was 4 feet tall around 17 + yrs ago, and now it's over 11 feet tall. It sits in the corner of my living room between south & west picture windows getting a little sun but mostly indirect light.
    Here's a picture of it getting ready for it's outdoor shower last year by way of garden hose.

{{gwi:82590}}

Billy Rae

• watergal
    17 years ago

Kentia palm?

• mr_subjunctive
    17 years ago

Well, I don't want to be the guy who thinks the answer to any problem is to buy a Monstera, but -- Monsteras are good.

Philodendron selloum is large and wide but not (usually) tall.

Dracaena fragrans (corn plant) would work. Also some of the bigger cultivars of Dieffenbachia or Spathiphyllum (peace lily).

Sansevierias (snake plant) can go just about anywhere, though I don't very often see really tall ones.

Ficus elastica (rubber plant) or F. lyrata (fiddle-leaf fig) can get big, but I've not had good luck with F. elastica, ever. I don't know why. Some people can grow them, some people can't.

Strelitzia spp. (bird of paradise) is palmish and V-shaped and *might* be able to make do with bright indirect light, though I know it would prefer sun. Possibly it would die, more likely it would just not grow very fast or flower.

Schefflera actinophylla (umbrella plant) would probably work fine.

Yucca spp. would probably survive, and they can adapt to lower light.

Pandanus veitchii (screw pine) isn't terribly common, but it gets big and has sort of a palmish shape to it. Prickly leaves, though, and it would want sun.

Not an exhaustive list. Just throwing stuff out there.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is the corner I want to fill. I was thinking a tall wide palm with some smaller flowering plants around the bottom. As you can see the first palm I had died.
    {{gwi:82591}}.

Tjsangel

I have two big beautiful peace lilies already. I am suprised they are doing so well. I have a corn plant in the opposite corner of the wall unit. It too is surviving got it ten years ago. It just started sprouting a new branch or whatever you call them. Again shocked that it isn't dead.

Greattigerdane

That's a beautiful palm plant! I like the other palm plants you suggested. I am partial to palms. I look at that corner and for some reason thats the plant I see there. A nice tall (to the ceiling) fanned out palm.

Watergal

I like the kentia palm too thanks for the suggestion.

Mr. Subjunctive

Great options. If I can't find a palm plant I might take a few you suggested and group them in that corner.

• watergal
    17 years ago

That corner looks awfully dark - are you going to be putting it between the large piece of furniture and the wall, or will you be pulling it out some where it appears there is more light and more room?

Another palm you might like is rhapis, aka lady palm. Both kentias and rhapises are quite expensive, unfortunately.

If it's as dark in that corner as it looks, I would go with the corn plant or possibly the bird of paradise. I've had good luck growing birds in dim light, just go easy on the water and don't expect flowers.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Watergal

The blinds were closed in that photo and it was a partly cloudy day. Here are some better ones from the same day with the blinds open. The plant would sit more on the outer corner rather than inside the corner by the wall unit.

{{gwi:82592}}.

This one shows the corn plant in the opposite corner.

{{gwi:82593}}.

• watergal
    17 years ago

That picture is helpful - lovely room, btw! You could probably pull off a palm in that corner as long as you let it get dry on the top between waterings. Good luck!

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

The Areca palm would take up that whole back wall behind your couch, lol.
    The taller fronds need to be harnessed somewhat together around the middle part of their stems with a couple of soft piece's of cloth so they won't hang over into my other plants, otherwise, it's a great indoor palm to have if you have the room.

Billy Rae

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Watergal

Thanks! I love the way the livingroom turned out. I'll be sure to remember not to overwater.

Billy Rae

Thanks for the suggestion of the Areca Palm I really want something to fill in the whole corner.

Thanks for all the great help!

• vt_fiji
    17 years ago

Although not a palm, weeping fig (ficus bejammina) make great corner plants, are hardy, and I happen to have one in a corner much like yours. Someone also suggested Australian Umbrella Tree, also a great choice in my opinion. I think both would fill that corner perfectly. All else fails, you could try a parlor palm; although not the most exciting palm, it would get the job done.
    -Dan

• grice
    17 years ago

I don't have a suggestion. I just had to tell you how nice your room looks. I love that sofa and the entertainment center.

• trace00969
    17 years ago

I had to add my two cents....lol. I have a majesty palm growing in indirect light and it is beautiful, and I am new to all this plant "stuff".....it's weird because I just got a chinese palm, and it has promptly died.....I cut it all back to see if I could save it, so we'll see. I have had the same experience with the Rubber Tree, I think they are absolutely amazing, and mine is in indirect light.......Show us a pic once you decide, you have a beautiful house!!

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

How about a tree size Draceana marginata?
    Black Thumb, you mention bugs..store bought plants should be inspected before purchasing. You don't want to lug insects home with a new plant.
    With proper humidity and a bit of fresh air, including some type of fan kept on low during winter months, should prevent all plants from turning buggy..Toni

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for all your kind compliments. I'm loving the way the livingroom turned out. The furniture companies put me through the ringer, a July through Feb. ringer but it was worth it.

I went to the only nursery near me and they only seemed to have bushy trees in right now so I tried my two local Home Depot. The only palm they sell is majesty palm. So I'm not sure if the plants I purchased are any of the ones recommended. One of them said bird of paradise but I'm not sure if thats what it is. I saw a yucca and a cane palm but they didn't seem big enough they were small. They had a few small ponytail palms that were really cute but they didn't look healthy. Not that I know what healthy is LOL but I don't think most of the leaves are suppose to be dry and brown half way up.

If someone would like to tell me what I ended up getting that would be great! Are they birds of paradise like the side of the plant says. I hope they live. (crosses fingers)

{{gwi:82595}}.

{{gwi:82596}}.

{{gwi:82598}}.

• mr_subjunctive
    17 years ago

Yup. Birds of paradise. Nice healthy-looking ones too.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh good. I really wanted to get something that was recommended here. Anything other than giving them sun I need to know when it comes to care? If they like sun I can move them into a direct ray from time to time so they get their fix. No problem there.

It took me a good 30 min just to pick them out at Home Depot. I looked at every single one they had like four times before I settled on those two. I'm glad I chose healthy ones.

Thanks everyone all the wonderful choices you provided me with and for sticking with me while I filled my corner. Even though its not a palm I'm very pleased with the plant and feel it does the corner justice. Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Subjunctive.

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

black-thumb,

The two BOPs you selected & bought are simply Gorgeous!!! I have had a white flowering BOP for years (never flowered for me) But that's ok. Of course, having it would be a HUGE bonus, but the leaves alone are eye candy enough and I'm sure you would agree!

Good luck with your beauties!
    Billy Rae

• mr_subjunctive
    17 years ago

The requirements are pretty close to the same for most big palms, I think:

-- bright light, and as much full sun as you can manage. If you let them spend any time outside, remember to ease them into it gradually or they'll burn. (If they never get any direct sun, they'll *probably* do okay, though they won't grow as fast and they'll be less likely to flower. Though they're not likely to flower anyway.)
    -- Let them get somewhat dry between drenching waterings.
    -- Extra humidity is probably not required, though I'm sure they wouldn't mind, if you've got an easy way to do it (and in the winter they might need some supplemental humidity, come to think). Air circulation seems to be appreciated too.
    -- I'm not aware of any particular pest problems.
    -- Don't let them get cold (like below 50-60 F).

That's pretty much it. Don't expect them to flower inside, but you never know.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greattigerdane

I totally agree with you. They don't have to flower. Would be nice and I'm hoping they will but if they never do that's fine with me. The big beautiful leaves make up for it. I didn't think anything else would make me as happy as a palm but I was wrong. I really do like Birds of Paradise. Plants are new to me I was always a silk plant person.

Mr. Subjunctive

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to follow it and try and make sure they get as much sun as possible.

• watergal
    17 years ago

I just bought a white bird just like yours a few months ago. I love it - the big, bold tropical leaves are great. Mine is in an east window that is somewhat shaded by a small porch overhang and it seems happy enough. I don't expect flowers under these conditions, but that's OK.

I have a couple of clients with orange birds and they grow surprisingly well in moderately low light, as long as they don't get watered too much.

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Watergal,

I was told by a man who owns the nursery that I bought mine from, that the white BOP flowers more readily than the orange, whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it's still a great looking plant, flowers, or no flowers:O)

Billy Rae

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There was just a little sun today but I moved them both right in front of the window so they could get whatever came through the clouds. Its suppose to be cloudy all weekend and most of next week. :(

I'll take flowers in any color they want to produce. LOL I took the time to clean all the leaves and stems they were covered with some dirt and dust.

I'd love to see some pics of the ones you guys have.

• dlsmit68_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

The Plant-Topper is a great way to use large planters for a base and make your plants usefull and part of your decor instead of the background there at Plant Topper

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant-Topper