Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

survey of sort-- :)

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi All.

I have a kind of survey for you-- just out of curiosity for myself.

Extra points if you answer why--

1)what time of day do you water you plants? Why at this time?

2)How often do you feed them?

3)How often do you re-soil/re-pot your plants?

4)Do you put plants outside during the day for a while then bring them in? If so, how long are they outside?

5)What is, and how big is your biggest plant? Smallest plant?

6)How old is your oldest plant? the youngest?

7)What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet.

This is just me being curious about how/why you do what you do. Maybe pick up on a few tips along the way-- ;)

I hope to get a good thread going here, should be interesting.

Marjie-- :)

Comments (22)

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

1) early. about 6. It's how I start my day.
    2) weekly in summer, maybe once every two months in winter.
    3) depends. Maybe every two years on faster growing things, but the zz hasn't been touched in five. And last year, repotted a Phil selloum three times due to the canopy growing so large that it kept blowing over in the wind.
    4) once I move them out, they are out til fall. Exceptions occur for tropical storms, tornadoes...and this year, with the odd spring, I did move things outside for a couple days to aid in spring cleaning. but that was the exception.
    5) tallest...Draceana mass. 7' tall. longest...golden pothos 6' trailer, although I have a swiss cheese vine that is swiftly going to overtake it. widest...aforementioned Phil. selloum...7' spread once canopy recovers from being shoved in a corner all winter. smallest...an odd cactus I picked up last year. in a 6" pot, gonna get resized into a 10...by mid summer, the smallest will most likely be a peperomia.
    6) oldest I've had for five years. ZZ. Newest...that always changes. I propagate certain ones freely. Right now it's an unknown Euphorbia with a spiraled growth habit that is about six weeks old. just stuck cuttings...Justicia, Pachystachys, pothos and philodendron.
    Favorite? perhaps the zz, had it for five years now...perhaps the devil's backbone...perhaps the medinilla...I like them all, for different reasons.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Marj,
    I enjoy surveys... :)

1. I usually water mornings to early afternoon.
    The reason. Plants, especially succulents and Orchids 'can' rot if watered late at night. Moreso when evenings are cold.

2. Feeding time varies depending on plants.
    I use different fertilizers, some timed-release. TR is supposed to last up to 3 months, so plants like Hibiscus are fertilized once every 3-months using a TR Hibiscus Fertilizer.
    Otherwise, I try fertilizing either once every two-weeks to once a month.
    No fertilizer from Oct-Feb.

3. Plants are repotted when roots fill pots. And/or when roots can be seen on top soil or grow out of drainage holes.
    Every so often when top soil depletes, fresh soil is added.

4. The only time plants brought back in is when temps are predicted to drop 34F or lower.

5. Tallest plant is D. Marginata. Smallest, 'excluding cuttings or new plants,' Mini Haworthia.

6. Oldest plant is green Spider Plant purchased 1972/3. Newest is Begonia luxurians, four-days old.

7. Favorite plant is a difficult question. Marj, cannot name one, lol. 98% are ALL my favorites, otherwise I wouldn't have them. lol.
    Maybe you should narrow this question down. For instance, what's your two favorite: Succulents, Hanging, Tropicals, Flowering, Foliage, etc. lol. Toni

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

1) I water when plants need it and I can make the opportunity. There is no 'best time' to water plants. If you consider that your soil remains wet or damp for 3-20 days in most cases, you can see there would be little advantage in watering say in the evening as opposed to morning.

2) Plants I over-winter indoors get fertilized every time I water. This is a very healthy practice for plants, and helps to ensure a low level of solubles in the soil solution. It's why I almost never have any kind of problem with spoiled foliage. Plants that are outdoors get a full strength dose of fertilizer weekly, as long as temps are favorable. This type of fertilizing requires that you use a fast draining soil that allows you to flush accumulating salts from the soil when you water. It won't work with soils based on peat or other fine particulates.

3) Plants get repotted at the first appropriate opportunity when the root/soil mass can be lifted from the container intact. This is the point where growth and vitality begins to be affected by tight roots. There is a significant difference between repotting and simply potting up. Repotting includes soil removal and root pruning, where potting up is just bumping the root/soil mass to a larger container. Repotting has a rejuvenating effect on the plant and restores it's growth potential to as good as can be expected within the limits of other cultural factors. Potting up is a practice that ensures limitations because the center of the root mass always remains excessively compacted.

4) All plants go outside as temperatures allow. There are no such thing as houseplants - only outdoor plants that tolerate indoor conditions to varying degrees. Plants WANT to be outdoors in the weather where the sunshine & breezes stimulate growth.

5) My largest plants that require indoor stays are old bonsai trees. Come to think of it, the smallest plants I've grown were mosses on a tin y piece of lava rock, and the Portulacaria in an acorn cap that everyone has seen.

6) All my plants are favorites. They are all unique. If I don't care for their growth habit, I usually give them away. Almost always it's because the plant doesn't lend itself to the art of bonsai or to having its growth habit manipulated into something different or unusual. For example, I can't see myself buying or growing peace lily or Sans because there isn't much you can do to manipulate their growth habit.

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

1) Usually evening, because I like going outside after dinner.

2) No set schedule, sporadically and impulsively, because that's just how I am.

3) Repot usually at least once per year, because they grow and need heavier pots so they don't blow away.

4) Unless I choose the wrong day (and another frost occurs,) plants go outside when it stops frosting/freezing at night and stay out until it gets too cold, because plants should be outside.

5) Biggest in height is a Dracaena marginata about 5.5 - 6 feet, it leans. Biggest in width/volume is a parlor palm about 4 feet wide and 3.5 - 4 feet tall. I counted from the bottom of the pots to the top of the plants.

Smallest changes often due to adventures in propagation... At the moment it's a couple pots of baby spider plants, 2-3 inches high, not really leaning over the edge of 4" wide pots yet.

6) The oldest is the tall Drac, which I've had for about 20 years and estimate it's probably about 35. But the plant I've had the longest are the spiders, for about 35 years.

7) They are all my favs, but I'm most emotionally attached to 2 Drac trees, one because it's so old and the other because it was about 4 inches tall when I got it and it's about 4 feet tall now, 8 or 9 years later.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Marj,
    I enjoy surveys... :)

1. I usually water mornings to early afternoon.
    The reason. Plants, especially succulents and Orchids 'can' rot if watered late at night. Moreso when evenings are cold.

2. Feeding time varies depending on plants.
    I use different fertilizers, some timed-release. TR is supposed to last up to 3 months, so plants like Hibiscus are fertilized once every 3-months using a TR Hibiscus Fertilizer.
    Otherwise, I try fertilizing either once every two-weeks to once a month.
    No fertilizer from Oct-Feb.

3. Plants are repotted when roots fill pots. And/or when roots can be seen on top soil or grow out of drainage holes.
    Every so often when top soil depletes, fresh soil is added.

4. The only time plants brought back in is when temps are predicted to drop 34F or lower.

5. Tallest plant is D. Marginata. Smallest, 'excluding cuttings or new plants,' Mini Haworthia.

6. Oldest plant is green Spider Plant purchased 1972/3. Newest is Begonia luxurians, four-days old.

7. Favorite plant is a difficult question. Marj, cannot name one, lol. 98% are ALL my favorites, otherwise I wouldn't have them. lol.
    Maybe you should narrow this question down. For instance, what's your two favorite: Succulents, Hanging, Tropicals, Flowering, Foliage, etc. lol. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Is GW having problems again? I posted once, not twice. Toni

• cliss
    11 years ago

Enh, why not... :)

1) Typically between 9 and 11 p.m., after dinner but before I go to bed; given my work hours, that's just the best time for me, and it doesn't seem to bother the plants. On weekends and/or when I'm home all day, I'll usually shift it to 3-5 p.m. or so.

2) I use Foliage Pro 9-3-6 at half-strength with every watering, year-round.

3) Probably not nearly as often as I should. Usually only when they've outgrown the pot or when the mix is obviously not cutting it any more. (This includes newly purchased plants, which will often stay in their original mix for 2-3 years if it isn't obviously a problem.)

4) I live in an apartment with no plant-friendly outdoors space, so my plants never see outdoors. (Actually, if I had some serious shade-lovers, I could probably put them out on my sheltered north-facing back porch... But it's not something I've tried yet.)

5) Biggest: A Sansevieria robusta I picked up last year, which is around 3 feet high and 2.5 feet wide. Smallest: Tie between Avonia quinaria a miniature Aloe (I don't recall the hybrid name), and a few small Haworthias.

6) Oldest: I have an Aloe vera which is either about 12 or about 16, depending on how you measure it. (I got it around 1996, but beheaded it and let it grow back from the roots around 2000.) Youngest: A Haworthia pumila I picked up 3 or 4 weeks ago.

7) Favorite? Not sure... Probably the Aloe vera, just for its sheer cussedness in growing back like that. But I like many others, too.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

- Generally whenever I can. I try to water in the mornings, though.

- Everytime I water, half the recommended dose. They seem to be taking it well. In the winter, I will stop fertilizing or cut it down drastically.

- I'll repot if I feel the soil is that crappy, or if it's so obviously rootbound. If I have to water you constantly, you're getting re-potted.

4)Do you put plants outside during the day for a while then bring them in? If so, how long are they outside?

- Nope. I'm a creep about taking them outside.

- I have some rescued plants that are easily in 10" containers. However, my largest personal plant bought elsewhere is about a foot tall. Only have had plants for about ~6 months.

- 7 months and 1 day.

- I tend to spoil my Jasmine sambac 'Maid of Orleans' and Abutilon pictum thompsonii more so than others. I don't really have a favorite. I think those two get lots of care because they like to stay moist from what I've seen.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is very interesting, to see the difference in how people take care of their plants.

I love how nobody has a real "favorite" plant, was thinking that is a good thing tho. kinda like kids... you love them all but in different ways. I don't have a Favorite either. They are all different and may have special something about them-- I like that..

Thanks for responding to my little survey-- :)
    Marjie

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

1. Whenever I notice that they are truly dry. It's different for different plants, and different times of the year. I don't water my cacti all winter from Nov. til March. I might water some of them more when they are blooming, like zygocatus. But any time of day if they are dry.

2. I fertilize all the time, very lightly, less in winter. But different ferts for different plants.

3. This I am changing, and repotting more often than I used to, and changing the soil when I repot. I am learning to trim the roots of anything woody especially when I repot.

4. I put a lot of things outside as soon as it quits freezing at night. Callas, amaryllis, some cacti, all get to be dormant for the winter so I have room for everything. Violets stay inside all year, and some other plants. I'm in a new house, so I'm not sure yet of what spaces I have for things, and what I'll put where. This time of year I move things in and out a lot to kind of break them in for being outside without getting sunburned, and to keep them from freezing at night.

5. My heaviest plant is my mammillaria. It is a large clump in a 14 in. pot. My longest is a Hoya at least ten or more feet long. My smallest plant is a Haworthia.

6. My oldest plant is my red zygocactus that was gifted to me in 1977. Actually I think the one that I have is a clone of that one, so maybe it doesn't count. My Mammillaria is 24 years old, and my Hoya is about the same. My youngest plant is an Alocasia mistake I'm sorry I bought about a month ago.

7. Not the Alocasia. I like anything that blooms, is generally easy to grow, and am learning to buy things that are likely to stay small for a while. I have a Gymnoclycium that I grew from a seed that is in a four in. pot and is maybe six or seven years old and blooms every spring. I like plants like that.

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Most of my plants are wick-watered, but those that aren't are generally watered in the late afternoon to evening. The strongest rays of the sun are past and any water on the leaves is less likely to burn then.

Indoor plants (gesneriads) are fed weakly with every watering. Outdoor plants 2x per year.

Gesneriads: every 6 months. Others: once a year.

Nope. Some always live outdoors, others always indoors.

Biggest is my Aeschynanthus 'Thai Pink' with many 8 foot vines. Smallest is my Saintpaulia 'Precious Red' that's only about 3" across at the moment.

Oldest is a couple years. I just restarted my Gloxinella lindeniana and it's only a month old.

There's no specific individual that's my favorite, but the group that is my favorite are the hanging basket gesneriads. Aeschynanthus, Nematanthus, and Columnea are my favorites.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

1)what time of day do you water you plants? Why at this time? I don't really have a scheaduled time, but I guess mostly at night because that's when the house is quiet, kids are asleep, and I can relax and water the plants and fix them up a bit if needed.

2)How often do you feed them? About every two weeks in the spring and summer...but I'm still kinda new to plants and I'm learning about fertilizers still.

When needed, usually in spring unless it despertly needs it sooner.

I've put most of my bigger succulents outside right now, and I would love to take all my plants outside for fresh air, but I live in an apartment and kids around here don't know how to not touch and not steal things(I'm talking about other people's kids, not mine, my kids know not to touch my plants LOL). And I really don't want to risk getting my 'babies' stolen or ruined. Last year my neighbor put two pots of plants outside and they where gone a week later...so i'm still trying to figure out how to secure my plants if I bring them outside.

My biggest plant is a tie between my Giant Dieffenbachia and the schefflera, but my hindu rope hoya is also really long. My smallest plant...one of my Bowiea Volubilis just spilt and the new one is probably the size of an m&m.

6)How old is your oldest plant? the youngest? I've only started collecting plants less then a year ago, but I remember one of my first was my Peperomia Prostrata, and my youngest are several I bought this morning, an orchid and a begonia and a few small peperomia succulents.

7)What is your favorite plant? Like others have said, they're like children and they're all great and my favorites.

-FlowerPotTipper

• Arehbella
    11 years ago

1)what time of day do you water you plants? Why at this time? - I just water when I realize some of my plants are dry, so whenever.

2)How often do you feed them? I kinda don't, probably should start.

3)How often do you re-soil/re-pot your plants? Depends on the plants, cacti not as often as my other plants.

4)Do you put plants outside during the day for a while then bring them in? If so, how long are they outside? Nope not really, I live in a pretty cold place.

5)What is, and how big is your biggest plant? Smallest plant? - My biggest plant right now would be my Jade plant or maybe my peace lily.

6)How old is your oldest plant? the youngest? - My oldest would have to be my Jade Plant, I got it about 8 years ago and it was already pretty big. As for youngest, i'm not to sure, I have a bunch of little herbs growing right now.

7)What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet. Not to sure, I have different favorites for different types. Though Jade and lipstick plant are my in my top faves, cuz i've had them ever since I was a kid.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

I am going to refer mainly to my gesneriads as they are the plants that I primarily take care of. My wife takes care of the non-gesneriads.

My gesneriads are all wick watered, so they are watered continuously. Every month or so I will dry them out to give them a "water break" so they donâÂÂt rot.

Fertilizer is mixed in the wicking water, so they are feed continuously.

I try for once every six months, but sometimes it goes longer than that.

The only plant that goes outside is my Voodoo plant or Amorphophallus konjac. I donâÂÂt want to expose my other plants to outdoor pests.

5) What is, and how big is your biggest plant?

My largest gesneriad is my columnea 'AladdinâÂÂs Lamp', the size of a basketball and growing. The largest non-gesneriad is a hanging pothos that is four feet long. My smallest plant is a Sinninigia pusilla, that when full grown is the size of a quarter.

6) How old is your oldest plant? the youngest?
    My oldest plant is my columnea 'Early Bird', over 25 years old. My youngest is a Streptocarpus 'Heartland's White Gold', I just got last week.

7) What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet.
    IâÂÂll have to go with the rest. I really donâÂÂt have any plants that I donâÂÂt really, really like. They all have their own charm.

• squidy
    11 years ago

Usually right after I get home from work, because I still have energy at that time.
    Almost every time I water during the growing season, because that's what it says to do on the bottle.

When they need is, maybe every couple years or so.

I don't do this. I put some out for summer though. (Not yet.. it's 42f here today.)

My biggest plant is a hoya carnosa. It has vines almost as long as I am tall. My boyfriend doesn't like it because it's a ridiculous pain to move without breaking any. My banana plant will soon outgrow it though.
    My smallest plant is a little gasteria armstrongii I just got. I picked the smallest one they had because it was the most bumpy.

I have a spider plant I got in 6th grade, so about 15 years old. Youngest is the gasteria, as far as I know.

I love my big hoya.
    (Least favorite I own: wandering jew. What a mess..)

• rushrulz
    11 years ago

When I think of it. The ones at work are watered Friday before I leave, but that is too often for the jades, which is why I'm overrun with f***ing jades. At home, when I think of it. Not often enough.

Err...Well, again, this would be when I think of it. The stuff at work gets a very rare feeding from some antique Miracle Gro I have there. At home, I don't know. I probably should feed my plants more, LOL.

I re-pot things at home when they're getting cramped. Otherwise, no. The jades at work get drastic haircuts, but nothing gets repotted.

No. I actually had a jade inside at home that I took outside because it's better for it, and it's staying there.

The largest would be a draceana. The smallest would be...well, it's a tie between the other two. I currently only have three plants indoors at home.

Oldest...a couple of years (with me)? Youngest, I don't know how "old" they are per se, but the peperomia is the most recent purchase.

I used to have schlefferas, and I loved them, but I don't even recall what became of them now. I guess I like the jades because I have so many...I kind of have to at this point. The peperomia was actually sought, though, because a coworker has one and I fell in love with it. Mine's a different species, though.

• emisanwald
    8 years ago

2015 strikes again. I like this post a lot!

Usually the mornings. Before I do anything in the mornings I'll go outside and tend to everyone, little bit of pruning here and there, and watering if it's dry enough. It's a good way to start a day.

Some of them, like my flowering plants, every Thursday. My ferns, orchids, Sans, and succulents not as often. (Maybe a few times a month.)

When I bring them home from the nursery, usually, then they're good for a while. My Hindu Rope Plant was the only one I didn't have to repot from the nursery since it was so itsy-bitsy. If I really have to repot them, it's when I bring them in for the winter.

All summer they're outside except a small batch. (Succulents = too rainy, Cyclamen = too warm, Maiden Hair Fern = Too windy, or anything because it's a MHF... etc etc)

The biggest plant is my Majesty Palm, it's a good 6". Smallest has to be my cactus seedlings, or my Mimosa Pudica.

My oldest is my Golden Pothos. Almost eight years? It's actually my mom's but it's definitely the old man of the plants. My youngest or newest are my (exaggeration alert) 18000 Spider Plant babies. Really, though. There's a TON OF THEM.

I have a bunch really. I find the Staghorn fern super interesting (Along with all of the Fern species.) Carnivorous Plants are very fascinating too, and I've been searching for some for a while! My favorite that I own has to be my Heart-Leaf Philo and my Spider Plant.

• bruce_cny
    8 years ago

1) what time of day do you water you plants? Why at this time?

I usually water mid morning. It works the best for my schedule.

2) How often do you feed them?

I usually feed from March to October with a liquid fertilizer every two weeks at 50% recommended strength.

3) How often do you re-soil/re-pot your plants?

Only when the plants need to be moved to larger pot, or when the plant could benefit from root division.

4) Do you put plants outside during the day for a while then bring them in? If so, how long are they outside?

I live in an apartment, and do not have a place that the plants can be taken outdoors.

5) What is, and how big is your biggest plant? Smallest plant?

The biggest plant is a Maranta, and the smallest is a Peperomia caperata.

6) How old is your oldest plant? the youngest?

The oldest is a Dieffenbachia camilla, and the youngest would be some Wandering Jew cuttings that I propagated from a recent plant purchase.

7) What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet.

My favorite is anything in the Marantaceae family (Maranta, Calathea, and
    Ctenanthe). I am always on the lookout for a variety that I don't currently have.

• emisanwald
    8 years ago
    I meant 6' not 6 inches...sorry about that
  • snappyguy
    8 years ago

1) Sometime between 10 and 3 usually. It's when I have the most time to do it.

2) Most of my plants are continuously fed.

3) The gesneriads are repotted every 6-12 months. Others are done ever 1-2 years.

4) I never put any houseplant outside. Too many bugs, plus it's so hot and the sun is intense here.

5) Smallest plant- Sinningia 'Mighty Mouse.' It's about 1.5" by 1.5" and is mature. My largest is Vanilla planifolia that is about 7 feet long.

6) I'm unsure as to which plant is my oldest. It could be my coffee tree, Aeschynanthus 'Mona Lisa,' Aeschynanthus 'Thai Pink,' or the Episcia 'Kee Wee' and 'La Soledad Bronze.' All are about 5-6 years old. My youngest plant is the African violet 'Tommie Lou.'

7) My current favorite is the African violet 'Rob's Lucky Number,' but my favorites change often.

• oxford_pictionary
    8 years ago

1)what time of day do you water you plants? Why at this time? -- I usually water them at night because I am home in my room (where the plants are) at night.

2)How often do you feed them? (Every two weeks in the summer, so every other watering.... Less in the winter, maybe once a month)

3)How often do you re-soil/re-pot your plants? Depends on the plant, but when they seem too big for their container mostly...

4)Do you put plants outside during the day for a while then bring them in? If so, how long are they outside? No, I don't have any outdoor space.

5)What is, and how big is your biggest plant? Smallest plant? My biggest plant is a three-foot-tall pachira aquatica.

6)How old is your oldest plant? the youngest? My oldest plant is probably a cycas revoluta (sago palm), about 8 years old. The youngest would be a small baby echeveria I am sprouting right now.

7)What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet. My favourite is my giant satin pothos hanging plant.

• birdsnblooms
    8 years ago

The best time to water is morning, however, it takes me a couple hours to wake, lol. So, I normally give plants a drink between 11-1p.m. I prefer watering when sun isn't too intense.

Fertilizing depends on plant type. On average, once a month, at half-strength. No feeding during cold, winter months.

I re-pot when roots are so tight the plant tips. I feel plants prefer to be semi-root-bound. Especially to encourage flowering.

Once my plants are outside, they usually remain out. When nights are cold, around 40, the majority of plants come in. Especially tropical plants. Most succulents and Thanksgiving cactus are out until first frost.

Tallest plant is a Dracaena marginata combo. Smallest plant, at the time, are baby succulents.

Oldest plant...hmm, either Clivia started from seed back in 1983 or Euphorbia, Crown of Thorns, started from a cutting...Same year.

7)What is your favorite plant? or have you found it yet. Too many to name.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler