Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxflame

Golden Pothos: I thought these were hard to kill?

laxflame
9 years ago

I bought this pothos at walmart about a month ago, I repotted it probably a week after I bought it and it seemed to be doing well for a few weeks. Then one morning I noticed it had completely drooped and I can't figure out why. The leaves feel very soggy too. I watered it a little, but I don't want to over water it. What should I do?

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

The soil looks rather dry, I think it's wilting because it needs a serious drink. What makes you afraid to water too much? If the soil is fast draining enough, you shouldn't fear watering it too much.

Planto

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Summersunshine is exactly right. Is the volume of that potting medium dry or moist? And I don't mean just on top.

I'm somewhat worried about your "watered a little " comment. You need to water thoroughly when your plants need it, ensuring that the whole soil/root system is drenched. If you don't do that, dry pockets of dead roots will form.

The way to avoid overwatering is to use a porous, fast draining medium and to allow the soil to dry out quite a bit until you water
    again. No little sips.

At this point, only you can be the judge of the cause of the wilting....too wrt or too dry. :-)

By the way, pothos isn't "hard to kill". It can die pretty easily if the conditions are right. They are, however, considered very easy to grow...there's a difference.

• laxflame
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, okay thanks all! I guess I remembered reading somewhere that they're pretty water resistant but maybe I read it incorrectly. I usually just use a spritzer and spritz the top soil, should I put it under the sink and let the water run through instead? Also is regular MiracleGro potting soil sufficient or should I add perlite to it as well?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Most tropical plants aren't water resistant, as they live in tropical locations where humidity and rain is more frequent. A cactus is able to go without water for extended periods of time.

Your aim is to keep the soil moist at all times (not wet). You'll have to wet the entire rootball to grow a plant successfully. Water it until water comes out from the drainage hole. I would water a couple times to make sure it's completely moistened. Clay pots will dry out faster than plastic. Wait until the top two inches of soil is dry and water again. Again, the goal is to not allow the plant to completely dry out in between waterings, but stay moist. Some amend MG with a little bit more perlite (make sure you rinse it before use).

Planto

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

YES, take the poor thing to the sink and drench the heck out of it. Let the excess drain for a minute and then do it again! Don't ever simply wet the surface to water that plant.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

What rhizo said! I can kill anything and everything, and I have, but the pothos seems to get along here if I do just what the previous poster said. Once a week or two I soak those things to death. We have a round of plants, one after another, going into the kitchen sink and being drenched like Noah. Then they drain completely and are never allowed to completely dry out. It MIGHT be a soil thing too!

That and a lot of light.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    You live in s. florida?? Surely you've noticed them used as yard plants where they turn into monsters and strangle everything??lol Only things I've found that they won't tolerate is full sun and complete drying out . I grow them in my aquarium filters where they tolerate incredibly low light .
    I erred in planting them in the shadehouse where they engulfed the entire side of the florida room so far the full sun has kept them from going outside .
    In your case I'd follow the watering directions you were given .Looks like not enough water?? gary

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I'd also suggest they're too deeply planted & in too big a pot (that particular combination of conditions can lead to root rot).

I also find these do better in plastic pots than clay.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert