Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my schefflera?

Posted by stellar_collision none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:58

Hi, a couple of months ago the top of my schefflera suddenly went black, and during the following weeks some kind of lump grew out of it. It's hard, dry, and smells a bit like resin from a tree. Does anyone know what this is? Do I need to cut it back? Although you can see some brownish spots on the stem, the leaves look healthy - there just hasn't been any more growth since this thing appeared (it's a young plant, just 40 cm tall).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my schefflera?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 12:04

It looks like the beginning stages of a twig gall. Galls are often caused by chemicals that affect growth and cause abnormalities, chemicals released by either diseases or insects feeding. The insects that most commonly cause galls are wasps, mites, aphids, and flies, not necessarily in that order.

I'd remove it with a sharp pair of sterilized pruning shears, or use a fresh straight-edged razor blade or utility knife blade. Cut back a good distance proximal to the abnormality.

Al

o

Hi,

I found a similar thread somewhere on the net with the same advise so I gave it a try, cut the plant back some 5 cm, and one month later there seems to be some development at the top three leaves' nodes.

Looks promising?

And yes, I completely failed at performing a clean cut... poor plant. :-)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 14:58

Some more specific guidance can be had if you're interested. A picture of the full plant would be nice, though.

Al

o

Well, that was fast - look who's waving! :-)

o

Most certainly interested, thanks. :-)

A few leaves have an abnormal shape - according to information I've found on the net that could be a side-effect of whatever caused the removed lump.

Three roots grew out of the pot's drainage holes and they look healthy (not squishy or discolored).

o

Two weeks have passed and I'd say cutting the plant back was a success. :)

Thanks tapla for your advise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here