Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Plant Tea Club - Post your tea and pics

Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 13:09

Welcome tea lovers,

Do you have any plants that you use to make tea with? You can make tea from various house plants such as:

Mint
Citrus
Fig
Tea plant
Lemon Balm
Dandelion
Chamomile

You can list more if you'd like.

Here is a picture of my Bearss Lime Tree (aka persian lime). The leaves in the container I keep in the freezer to store and they actually came from my meyer lemon tree but for photogenic reasons I used the lime tree in the pic. The cup contains tea made from blending 3 small lemon tree leaves for about 3 minutes and pouring hot water over it.

Feel free to post pics, ideas, tea recipes and general banter. :p

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Plant Tea Club - Post your tea and pics

I didnt know you can make tea out of citrus leaves.How does it ntaste. Can it be made from all citrus, I have a blood orange Dwarf tree.

o

teengardener1888,

I just heard you could do it with kafir lime a while ago and so I tried out eating some of my persian lime leaves. I've also eaten the blooms. I haven't heard that you cannot eat these leaves so I imagine its okay. I don't see how it could hurt you and it actually seems to take my nausea away and allow me to drink black tea.

The persian lime has a minty taste with a tiny bit of lime taste and is a little bit sour, but not 'bad' sour, or 'tastes like poison' sour, just sour like a grapefruit. The meyer lemon tastes the same but is not nearly as potent. I just described what the older foliage tastes like. The newer foliage growth has a tender nutty texture and tastes extra minty. Maybe about 5x more minty. It's cool because you can eat the stem and even the thorns as they are still soft. They too are very minty and nutty tasting. They really are quite delicious. My lime trees worst enemy is my tummy! o.o ... I hear kafir lime leaves taste like lime but are much much more stronger and also have a great aroma.

I like to nibble on the leaves like one might chew on gum. A few days ago it was sunny out so I had the citruses on the balcony. It was nice to sit in the sun and reach over and grab a leaf from the tree and eat it. It's what makes this all worth it.

They can also be added to soups. Today I added 3 lemon leaves to my vegetable soup today. It's more of a 'just because I can' thing but its nice to be able to do. When you grow your own stuff you tend to enjoy it more.

This post was edited by bedtime on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:12

o

I hope you dont totally defoliate the trees

o

Teen, I feel pretty confidant that bedtime knows exactly what he or she is doing, don't you?

Thanks for posting this, bedtime. Have you also posted this in the Citrus Forum? There are many growers of indoor citrus in that forum. I'm not aware of anyone addressing the possibilities of making a nice tea from the leaves.....bet that it is also good over ice.

o

No tea from my indoor plants, just some from outdoor plants. In addition to the Chamomile you mentioned, I've made tea from spruce (used as a cough suppressant) and pine needles. I've not tried my monarda (Oswego tea) yet, but I'm meaning to.

tj

o

rhizo_1,

I don't know why people are so afraid to eat things like lemon tree leaves but will have total faith and are willing pay money to eat stuff that is laden with chemicals they cannot even pronounce... I've easily eaten about a small trees worth of leaves and never had an adverse reaction. I've had the leaves raw, dried, powdered, frozen, boiled, pressure cooked, blended, minced, and pressed. I usually only eat the leaves that have turned about 20% yellow and I know are eventually going to fall.

And yes, I've posted this a few times within posts in the citrus forum.

teengardener1888,

Too late for that. I've already ate 2/3 of my meyer lemon tree. Good thing is that there are 10 new shoots of branches coming up to replace all those I've eaten.

o

I'm highly interested in tea, did not think about growing houseplants you can harvest for tea. This will now be a factor when I think about buying another plant. I've been dying to put in my own tea garden outside to make my own teas that are expensive, or difficult to find. Like rose petal/rose hip and blue mallow teas. I've only made tea from spearmint :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here