Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is DH is some posts....not a plant qustion....lol

Posted by trace00969 zone 2 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 13:15

I read alot of posts and I see "my Dh bought this for me" etc, what is DH??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is DH is some posts....not a plant qustion....lol

It means, Dear Husband.

Billy Rae

o

Thanks...lol, I thought it meant darling hubby.

o

Despicable Husband?

o

my favorite is decapitated husband :D

o

Mentha,

LOL,

Love that one!

o

Hey!

o

Wow, I can't believe I googled "What does DH mean?" and actually got the answer!! I have been reading on the Garden Web for awhile and DH kept coming up. Of course all I could think of was Dumb Husband, ha. Surely, not all women think that way. :) Glad to know that the D means Dear, although some days I do think the other. :) Thanks for the answer.

o

Hey all, what can a man and a husband say in rebuttal?

o

Hi ronalawn82,I don't know of a good rebuttal,because the DH varies over the course of a day.If you could start the trend to stop the flip flop,maybe others would catch on lol!!!!!

o

It can also mean "darn husband". Context varies as needed based on behavior of the DH and also based on the whim of the DH's wife.

ronalawn or any other men, feel free to use DW to refer to your wife anytime - it works the same way. There's also DD and DS (darling - or whatever - daughter and son, respectively).

Now DC - would that always be d*mn computer?! ;)

o

Gosh, I'm glad I'M not married!

LOL!

o

I use it to mean De Facto Husband because I've been with my partner for 10 years, although we're not legally married. It sounds nicer than my domestic partner (which sounds clinical), or my boyfriend (which makes me feel like we're teenagers), or worse still, my mother calls him my "mate" like we're sailors or animals. Ick!

o

Can also mean Damn Hillbilly or Divine He-man, depending on what he did this weekend.

o

More and more I'm beginning to suspect I'm the youngest person on here. Or the least datable, maybe.

o

Dote Head sometimes, perhaps?

o

you all have it wrong....DH stands for Dumb Housewife

o

Wow, who knew there were so many variations! Love the imaginations! KaKe you must have to explain your meaning....DeFacto Husband. I agree with you......I just call my guy My Sweetie. SO which is Significant Other sounds awful, as does Boyfriend. I've seen Main Man used, not sure he would like that one either.
Dumb Housewife?? LOL I wonder what kind of responses, rebuttals you're going to ge tsorfanosaj!

o

You know, I've been wondering what "DH" meant, but I never thought to ask! I've just assumed that it was actually somebody's initials or something. Though I really like "Damn Hillbilly"!

For the record, there is another common abbreviation here on Gardenweb, and I had wondered what it meant until somebody actually posted the question "What is a noid?" Turns out that it's short for "no identification" (as in "unidentified"), and is often spelled "NoID."

o

that's funny! A friend with a speech impediment refers to me as a 'noid'.

o

what does LOL mean?

o

LOL...Laughing Out Loud

ROFL...rolling on floor laughing

o

BTW (by the way) these acronyms aren't strictly on our forum. This is common "speak" for forums and computer talk in general. ttyl (talk to you later)

o

FYI, acronyms are rediculously popular nowadays, due to the increasing usage of text-messaging.

And don't forget the smileys!
:-)
:-D
:-P
:-o
;-)

LMAO at the rediculousness of it all....

Here is a link that might be useful: Acronym dictionary

o

I, too, googled "What is a DH?", feeling very silly and sure I'd never find an answer... I have to add, however, that the title of the thread ("Not a plant question") has gained additional irony in the time elapsed since it was originally written - just the other day, one of my kids used the expression, "Are you a PLANT!?!" to indicate that someone was utterly clueless. Ah, the evolution of linguistics!

o

When I googled "DH" the first thing that popped up was Di** Head. The site that I was looking at before I googled it was a chat about what to do for fireants in the garden. The consensus was human urine works the best. But everyone was joking about not squatting over the ant hill, just having their DH do it. Made sense...

o

Wow, love the responses. I just keep seeing people post things with DH and thought I'd google it. I am so glad I did, it's been informative and hilarious. And by the way, I actually think I fall into the age group of people who should have known that, so oops...

o

Trelllis, love your pun story!

DH... Hope nobody has one of these...
demented hubby
deranged hubby
distracted hubby
disgusting hubby
degenerate hubby
doubting hubby

and if he's really old...
diapered hubby

o

'Douche Hag' :O lol

o

Ena,

That's uncommonly unfunny.

o

Glad I got the DH question answered too. I only use the plant and pet forums and gradually guessed that DH referred to the husband, most likely "dear husband." Glad to see it confirmed without having to ask, & love the variations!

o

we all gotta learn sometime! I learned most of this "talk" in games. and yes- mine s "dearest" husband for DH. (most the time)lol-- 34 yrs for us.

o

Acronym Finder has 83 hit at DH - Definition by AcronymFinder. I don't think that #83, Drunk Husband, has been reported here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here