Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trace00969

what is DH is some posts....not a plant qustion....lol

trace00969
17 years ago

I read alot of posts and I see "my Dh bought this for me" etc, what is DH??

Comments (32)

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

It means, Dear Husband.

Billy Rae

• trace00969
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks...lol, I thought it meant darling hubby.

• mike_knight
    17 years ago

Despicable Husband?

• Mentha
    17 years ago

my favorite is decapitated husband :D

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Mentha,

LOL,

Love that one!

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Hey!

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Wow, I can't believe I googled "What does DH mean?" and actually got the answer!! I have been reading on the Garden Web for awhile and DH kept coming up. Of course all I could think of was Dumb Husband, ha. Surely, not all women think that way. :) Glad to know that the D means Dear, although some days I do think the other. :) Thanks for the answer.

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

Hey all, what can a man and a husband say in rebuttal?

• christianme
    16 years ago

Hi ronalawn82,I don't know of a good rebuttal,because the DH varies over the course of a day.If you could start the trend to stop the flip flop,maybe others would catch on lol!!!!!

• watergal
    16 years ago

It can also mean "darn husband". Context varies as needed based on behavior of the DH and also based on the whim of the DH's wife.

ronalawn or any other men, feel free to use DW to refer to your wife anytime - it works the same way. There's also DD and DS (darling - or whatever - daughter and son, respectively).

Now DC - would that always be d*mn computer?! ;)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Gosh, I'm glad I'M not married!

LOL!

• ethelalcohol_nyc_rr_com
    15 years ago

I use it to mean De Facto Husband because I've been with my partner for 10 years, although we're not legally married. It sounds nicer than my domestic partner (which sounds clinical), or my boyfriend (which makes me feel like we're teenagers), or worse still, my mother calls him my "mate" like we're sailors or animals. Ick!

• countrykitty
    15 years ago

Can also mean Damn Hillbilly or Divine He-man, depending on what he did this weekend.

• amccour
    15 years ago

More and more I'm beginning to suspect I'm the youngest person on here. Or the least datable, maybe.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Dote Head sometimes, perhaps?

• tsorfanosaj
    15 years ago

you all have it wrong....DH stands for Dumb Housewife

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

Wow, who knew there were so many variations! Love the imaginations! KaKe you must have to explain your meaning....DeFacto Husband. I agree with you......I just call my guy My Sweetie. SO which is Significant Other sounds awful, as does Boyfriend. I've seen Main Man used, not sure he would like that one either.
    Dumb Housewife?? LOL I wonder what kind of responses, rebuttals you're going to ge tsorfanosaj!

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

You know, I've been wondering what "DH" meant, but I never thought to ask! I've just assumed that it was actually somebody's initials or something. Though I really like "Damn Hillbilly"!

For the record, there is another common abbreviation here on Gardenweb, and I had wondered what it meant until somebody actually posted the question "What is a noid?" Turns out that it's short for "no identification" (as in "unidentified"), and is often spelled "NoID."

• ronalawn82
    15 years ago

that's funny! A friend with a speech impediment refers to me as a 'noid'.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

what does LOL mean?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

LOL...Laughing Out Loud

ROFL...rolling on floor laughing

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

BTW (by the way) these acronyms aren't strictly on our forum. This is common "speak" for forums and computer talk in general. ttyl (talk to you later)

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

FYI, acronyms are rediculously popular nowadays, due to the increasing usage of text-messaging.

And don't forget the smileys!
    :-)
    :-D
    :-P
    :-o
    ;-)

LMAO at the rediculousness of it all....

Here is a link that might be useful: Acronym dictionary

• jollygreenscholar
    13 years ago

I, too, googled "What is a DH?", feeling very silly and sure I'd never find an answer... I have to add, however, that the title of the thread ("Not a plant question") has gained additional irony in the time elapsed since it was originally written - just the other day, one of my kids used the expression, "Are you a PLANT!?!" to indicate that someone was utterly clueless. Ah, the evolution of linguistics!

• Trellis
    12 years ago

When I googled "DH" the first thing that popped up was Di** Head. The site that I was looking at before I googled it was a chat about what to do for fireants in the garden. The consensus was human urine works the best. But everyone was joking about not squatting over the ant hill, just having their DH do it. Made sense...

• jessicaglymph_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Wow, love the responses. I just keep seeing people post things with DH and thought I'd google it. I am so glad I did, it's been informative and hilarious. And by the way, I actually think I fall into the age group of people who should have known that, so oops...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Trelllis, love your pun story!

DH... Hope nobody has one of these...
    demented hubby
    deranged hubby
    distracted hubby
    disgusting hubby
    degenerate hubby
    doubting hubby

and if he's really old...
    diapered hubby

• izza84_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

'Douche Hag' :O lol

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Ena,

That's uncommonly unfunny.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

Glad I got the DH question answered too. I only use the plant and pet forums and gradually guessed that DH referred to the husband, most likely "dear husband." Glad to see it confirmed without having to ask, & love the variations!

• Lamora
    12 years ago

we all gotta learn sometime! I learned most of this "talk" in games. and yes- mine s "dearest" husband for DH. (most the time)lol-- 34 yrs for us.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Acronym Finder has 83 hit at DH - Definition by AcronymFinder. I don't think that #83, Drunk Husband, has been reported here.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!