Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markparsons435

Monstera deliciosa

markparsons435
11 years ago

I've been on the hunt for this plant and I've not had much luck. I'm actually in a different state for a few days visiting my grand daughter and thought I would have had more luck here since it's a much larger city. However, it's been a disappointing search. Do you guys have a favorite house plant website you trust that maybe I can order this? I have read a lot on this plant and it gets confusing .. I want the "swiss cheese" type with the holes in it..

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I have a suggestion. How about the variegated mexican breadfruit plant on logees greenhouse. It is very pricey. here is a link

http://www.logees.com/Variegated-Mexican-Breadfruit-Monstera-deliciosa-Variegata/productinfo/R1919-4/

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This plant must reach a mature state before it starts making the split/holed leaves. If you see one with solid leaves, it's just not to that phase yet. A mom'n'pop store that deals with house plants might be able to get one for you (without the hassle, responsibility, shipping costs of ordering online.)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mark...your best bet is Ebay or Glass House Works.

Hi Purple...How ya doing? Toni

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

Hello Mark, I have some of Monstera deliciosa plant that need to get a haircut, maybe we can trade? Just email me, Thanks Grant

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

Teen, WOWW!! that is expensive for a little 4 inch plant that cost around $50.00 at logees! I wonder why it cost so much?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Supply meets demand....and some are crushed at that intersection. :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Grant, add another 15.00? for shipping. lol.

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YIKES I think I would do without than pay that for a 4" pot .. but thank you for the link

hopfulauthor thanks .. I'll check them out

purpleinopp - I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

• ozarkia
    11 years ago

teengardener1888, I've been drooling over that plant you linked, too!

As for the OP and the Monstera, I wasn't satisfied with any online options I found, but recently discovered a local nursery has them (the non-variegated). They're a good mature size, but have beat-up/blemished leaves, so I haven't been able to justify the $40 or so they want for them. :-\

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Years ago a friend had the variegated variety shown above(called it an "alba")and I'm pretty sure I'd been promised a cutting of it but somehow I don't think it ever got around to happening. I know that a while back he let his makeshift greenhouse go for a winter as bills were nearly around $400 the previous year just to heat it...he lost some doosies(not just the alba). I just couldn't believe it,..I mean....I woulda figured out SOME kinda WAY to save that collection!

Anyway,
    this thread is makes me remember my old friend back there....really should drop him a line.

Thanks for that! :)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I was kinda kidding. I jumped when i seen the price. Variegated mexican breadfruit is very expensive almost anywhere

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I thought these would have been readily available nearly everywhere as houseplants, particularly the smaller ones without the fenestrations. Maybe they're not the "flavour of the month" just now. If you ask the retailers direct they may be able to get one in for you..

Here's a photo to show you how big to expect it to get (if you give it enough room).

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Oh yes!!These things grow huge. This will tell you. People buy these in fancy 4 inch pots and expect them to behave. But as they grow, there wild side comes to life. BE AWARE!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: HUGE PLANT INFO

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

plain green ones are common and easy to get, while the variegated ones are rare and therefore expensive. I would think that it is possible to locate it in florida nurseries, like in homestead area, that specialize in tropical.eg. Richard lyons nursery. also there are nurseries near Orlando if you are visiting that area. but then you'll have to fly it?
    perhaps once you locate it at the nursery, your local shop might arrange the order. here's a "list" to rare plants nursery in texas: split leaf philo variegated is there for 25$, but most are sold out...

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

oh, I just realized that you were actually looking for plain green ones. "this" nursery in Melbourne, fl near Orlando sells them, don't know if they ship.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

You can even buy a mexican breadfruit plant on amazon for a decent price. But plants from amazon often dont ship well

• ozarkia
    11 years ago

A little off-topic, but I think I recall reading somewhere that the variegated ones are much more sensitive to low humidity (and/or low light, maybe?) -- i.e., the white parts will brown in "normal" house conditions that the green ones would accept. Can anyone back that up?

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

variegated plants in general require more light then their green equivalents - that's true. they also grow slower. and are less vigorous.

• drvongirl
    11 years ago

I have a verigated monstera that i got from logees a couple of years ago. Yes, it was expensive but i had been eyeing it in there catalogue and just took the plunge and bought it. i have no regrets it is a beautiful plant. I live in Washington state and mine is indoors. My sister who lives in savanah, Georgia also bought one at the same time. Her leaves are twice as big as mine and she keeps hers on her front deck outside. Her monstera looks like a bush because the leaves are so big and mine looks like a vine with big leaves. :(( We have come to the conclusion that the difference is her plant is outside and the humidity there in savanah. She leaves it outside all year. So light levels and humidity do make a difference.

• grrr4200
    11 years ago

i got my 2 off of ebay. Paid 12 dollars for the one and 18.50 for the other. I have noticed that they appreciate sheltered light. I haven't really had any problems with mine browning. This summer im going to combine the two into one pot and put them up a totem. Hopefully they'll put out some nice full leaves :)

I guess like most 'rare' plants now a days it depends on where you can find it. who has it. and if you're lucky enough to get someone who doesnt know what they have to either give you a piece or sell it for cheap. Happy Hunting!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This is why I'm still on the hunt as well... When I see them (rarely,) they're way out of my price range for a single plant but I understand - they're BIG. Man-oh-man, the big awesome ones I saw in NOLA! Sigh...!

Doesn't Tropicbreeze make you want to visit Australia?!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Has anyone ever had this plant produce flowers of maybe breadfruit.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

We've only ever ordered one variegated 1.5m Monstera mosspole - the best part of ten years ago and it was ã50.00 trade from Holland, so retail would have been (say) ã120.00 - IIRC that's about $180.00?

It was a nice plant though - really high contrast white/green.

OT but the comment by petrushka about variegated plants being more temperamental than the 'vanilla' varieties is generally true; can anyone think of any exceptions?

Mine would be Sansevieria Laurentii which is (IME) much stronger than the plain green ones, and Schefflera Gold Capella, which performs better than the plain green one (again, IME).

• chadnashley
    8 years ago

I have a monstera deliciosa that I'm willing to share some of. They're all over my side yard and I'm completely in love with them. They produce flowers/fruit. Though I don't think my fruit has ever matured. I haven't paid close enough attention.

• benjamindcranford
    8 years ago

hello my name is ben. i live near houston, TX and i have been looking online a i cant really seem to find a place that sells them near me

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago

Try your local grocery stores. Monstera is usually a very easy plant to find, but most of the time you will see a small plant that hasn't started to split so it looks like a pothos or a weird philodendron. If you don't know what a young plant looks like it is easy to overlook it. Look for a plant with large heart shaped leaves, more than likely if the leaves stand up on long stems and are larger than a philo or pothos it is a young monstera.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

"Has anyone ever had this plant produce flowers of maybe breadfruit."

"Breadfruit" is a misnomer for this plant. Breadfruit comes from a tree and is starchy rather than sweet, it's generally cooked for eating. The problem comes from the Monstera adansonii (not Monstera deliciosa) occasionally being called Mexican Breadfruit. The fruit of M. deliciosa tastes like tropical fruit salad, hence it sometimes being called Fruit Salad Plant. It's never called Breadfruit. In zone 10 (possibly even zone 9) it should produce fruit readily.