Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monkey-puzzle Tree

Posted by usha_srinivasan z5/6 SE MI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 13:50

I just have to share with fellow plant enthusiasts here : finally I was able to identity this
indoor plant/tree that I have seen for years at one of the thrift stores I frequent. Always wondered what it was but no at the store had a clue.

Well the plant kinda sorta reminded me of norfolk island pine and I found it by searching under google images It is is Araucaria araucana, aka monkey puzzle tree. It looks somewhat like norfolk pine sold at stores in the US but is much more interesting looking to me : twisty, gnarly, not as droopy as norfolk pine . Here are some pics

http://luirig.altervista.org/schedenam/fnam.php?taxon=Araucaria+araucana

Has anyone grown this plant? Know where I can buy one ? I also read
that it can be grown from seeds and would like to try to grow from seed if I can get my hands on some.
Any information appreciated.

Regards
Usha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monkey-puzzle Tree

try doing a search for "nurseries that sell Araucaria"

o

Pirate_girl,

I am sure there are plenty of online sources selling Araucaria. I am a big online shopper so searching for online stores that sell this plant is not the issue.

One reason I love this forum is because people here are willing and happy to share their personal experience - in this case I am asking for GWers experience buying this plant or growing it from seed. Sorry if my original posting didnt get the message across .

Usha

o

Hi Usha,

Well I went literally by your question 'know where I can buy one?' which you've just clarified above.

Sorry, I have no experience in either growing or buying this, likely someone else will.

o

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2516?currency=USD

They get huge, I saw some in Ireland that were at least 100 feet tall. I do not think they would be hardy in Michigan.

o

Aracaria Araucana is the cold hardiest species--down to zone 7. Supposedly there are a few planted in my area but they are quite rare and you have to go searching for one being grown in the home garden. Years ago, a local garden center was selling nice ones for 10.00 and I passed it by only to regret it. I have since purchased one from eBay. No, it was not huge originally, but it has started to branch. I might eventually put it into the ground, but right now it's containerized and goes into a cold greenhouse in the winter. They all prefer cool, moist climates so resent excessive heat as much as cold--so Ireland is kind to them. You could grow one in Michigan but would need to protect it in typical zone 5 winters. I don't know how they would do as a houseplant in the winter under warm, indoor conditions though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here