Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scale?

Posted by ashley05 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 14:04

I just got this plant and noticed the black spots after I got it home. Are they scale? A fungus? Is there anything I can do about them or is this plant a goner? I think this plant is a schefflera if that makes a difference (it was marked "coffee arabica", but it is most definitely not that).

Sigh. See what I get for buying on impulse?

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scale?

Not scale, but I'm not sure what it is. Does it come off with a wet rag?

Planto

o

Nope. I also tried scraping it off gently with my fingernail and it doesn't come off that way either.

o

Hmm... I'm not sure then. I had something similar on a Schefflera once, but it came off with a wet rag. Can you return the plant?

Planto

o

I had something kinda similar show up on one of my scheffleras, only it was reddish in color and seemed to only affect some of the new growth. I couldn't find out what it was and it eventually disappeared on it's own.

photo UndersideScheffLeaf2.jpg

photo ScheffleraSpotsOnNewGrowth2.jpg

o

Planto-I could take it back, but I only paid $3.

elkay-This is on the oldest growth, closest to the soil line only, but it does look similar.

Could it be damage from a chemical used to treat it for sale, or maybe shipping damage? My biggest worry was that it could spread to my other plants. I have this in the same room as several others, but not too close. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it spreads or goes away.

o

Hmm, do they have another one? I see them around here a dime a dozen, but that's not always the case for everyone else. I'd keep it away from your other plants in the meantime if you decide to keep it, just in case. If it doesn't spread, I guess it was nothing?

Planto

o

What does the upper surface of the foliage look like? And what does the whole plant look like?

It's possible to buy a plant on an impulsive whim yet still take ten seconds to examine it. :-) Learn what scale insects actually look like, and mealybugs, and a spider mite infestation....and leave those problems at the store.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, May 1, 14 at 6:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here